Can anyone recommend any chemistry forums?

• Thread starter sankalpmittal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation is about a high school student struggling with chemistry and looking for a good forum to ask questions. They mention finding a forum on Physics Forums and searching for other sites, but having trouble finding answers to their questions. Another member of the forum offers a suggestion for a chemistry forum and advises the student to ask clear and concise questions in order to get helpful responses. The student also clarifies their previous posts and the conversation ends with a recommendation for the student to try to answer their own questions before asking in a forum.
sankalpmittal
Hello there,

I am a high school student, and chemistry is bashing my brain hard. I am not saying that I do not understand it. I mean that when I have a doubt, where can I ask ? I know PF has a chemistry section, but I prefer maths and physics here. (No offence please). Also I have some to many unanswered chemistry question here and also in some other sites.

Can anyone recommend good chemistry forum ? Any site (though not a forum) for asking chemistry questions will also do.

Please help !

Thanks in advance. :smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This site is one of the more active chemistry sites. For general chemistry, khan academy is superb.

sankalpmittal said:
I know PF has a chemistry section, but I prefer maths and physics here. (No offence please). Also I have some to many unanswered chemistry question here and also in some other sites.
I just did a search of the PF chemistry forum, but found only 1 recent thread started by you that got no replies.

Also, it's important to express one's question clearly. I had a bit of difficulty understanding some of your sentences. (I guess English is not your first language?)

strangerep said:
I just did a search of the PF chemistry forum, but found only 1 recent thread started by you that got no replies.

Also, it's important to express one's question clearly. I had a bit of difficulty understanding some of your sentences. (I guess English is not your first language?)

Yes. In my question, "than" was unintentionally replaced by "that". I think that made all the difference. True ? Was that the reason my question became unfathomable ?

Anyways :

The best I found out of chemistry forums is :

www.sciencemadness.com

Any other views ? Thanks.

I know PF has a chemistry section, but I prefer maths and physics here. (No offence please). Also I have some to many unanswered chemistry question here and also in some other sites...

Whaaaa? Aren't you the one that jumps in and answers chemistry questions? Even ones that ask for "Chemical Experts"?

Just so you know, I try to skim other sites like chemicalforums for double posted questions like your Jan 8 post here. You asked for and received an answer to your question in that forum then you came here and asked the same question! I just took the time to GOOGLE "Nitrogen dioxide strong inductive effect"... all terms contained in your posted question and found several answers to the question on the first page of results along with your posted question over on chemicalforums.

You haven't even tried to answer this for yourself.

sankalpmittal said:
Why is Nitrogen dioxide , a strong -I producing group that fluorine , or chlorine etc ? This must mean that NO2 is more electronegative that halogens also , but why is it so ? Is it due to resonance ? Or due to the fact that its formed from a coordinate compound HNO3 ?

I wondered for this question long , but failed to obtain answer...

Thanks in advance ...

Do you proof read before posting? Write your questions like you would an English paper. An -I producing group? I know of inductive efffects...

The work you put into your question gives me the impression you don't care about the answer. If you give me the impression you don't care, then why should I?

Try this, ask a specific question and then listen for a response. Don't tell the reader what you think it might be. You don't know and that is why you asked the question. If the response doesn't have one of the points you were wondering about, ask about it in a follow up question. At this point you already have an audience willing to speak with you since you have opened a dialog.

This is a good way to ask your question:
Why does NO2 have stronger inductive effects than chlorine or fluorine? Thanks, I love chirality.

Clear and concise questions get answered quickly. Be succinct.

Edit: Did you see where the link goes you posted?

Last edited:
chemisttree said:
Whaaaa? Aren't you the one that jumps in and answers chemistry questions? Even ones that ask for "Chemical Experts"?

What? I think you are mistaking me for someone else.

Just so you know, I try to skim other sites like chemicalforums for double posted questions like your Jan 8 post here. You asked for and received an answer to your question in that forum then you came here and asked the same question! I just took the time to GOOGLE "Nitrogen dioxide strong inductive effect"... all terms contained in your posted question and found several answers to the question on the first page of results along with your posted question over on chemicalforums.

Here comes the proof : http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=64712.0

Yes I received a reply. But when I asked further on not being satisfied by that one liner, there was no reply.

You haven't even tried to answer this for yourself.

So do not ask in any forum. Try to answer it even when you have tried to google several times and have tried to think your way, yet failed. Very well.

I already wrote in my(this) thread : No offence please. I tried to answer my question. See that chemicalforums link for instance. I asked "Is my reasoning correct ?". Also I endeavoured to answer it. I googled a lot.

Please do not be so confrontational when you do not know and are mistaking me for someone else.

I asked here that question and no reply. Then I asked here : www.sciencemadness.com
I got the reply. You will also see "thanks" there. But there was one thing I was not sure of still. How can negative mesomeric effect affect inductive effect ? Then of course my real question had to be "why is nitro group highly negative mesomeric?" This is general discussion anyway.

@ ChiralWaltz

You did not see the topic - heading. I mentioned that -I effect is negative inductive effect.

"Question regarding -I (negative inductive effect) producing group - Organic chemistry"

Try this, ask a specific question and then listen for a response. Don't tell the reader what you think it might be. You don't know and that is why you asked the question. If the response doesn't have one of the points you were wondering about, ask about it in a follow up question. At this point you already have an audience willing to speak with you since you have opened a dialog.

But the rules here say, express your "own" opinion on the question you are asking. So I did that.

BTW Chiral, the question which you call concise is rather incomplete. (Why ?)

Last edited:
sankalpmittal said:
The best I found out of chemistry forums is :

www.sciencemadness.com

Any other views ? Thanks.

chemist-smiley-emoticon.gif

sankalpmittal said:
What? I think you are mistaking me for someone else.
I think I know you.

Here comes the proof : http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=64712.0

Yes I received a reply. But when I asked further on not being satisfied by that one liner, there was no reply.
You received the partially correct answer. It's actually due to both resonance and inductive effects. You reasoned out how the formal charge produced the resonance effect and asked, "Right? Is this the reason for my question?" Hmmmm. How was the poster to answer that?

So do not ask in any forum. Try to answer it even when you have tried to google several times and have tried to think your way, yet failed. Very well.
If you had asked how to look for an answer using GOOGLE, I would have been right there with an answer.

I already wrote in my(this) thread : No offence please. I tried to answer my question. See that chemicalforums link for instance. I asked "Is my reasoning correct ?". Also I endeavoured to answer it. I googled a lot.
Search terms? I used terms which you had in your question and I found the answer easily. First page.

Please do not be so confrontational when you do not know and are mistaking me for someone else.
Sorry, but when you misrepresent yourself (many questions unanswered nonsense) and bash our forum, expect equal treatment.

I asked here that question and no reply. Then I asked here : www.sciencemadness.com
I got the reply. You will also see "thanks" there. But there was one thing I was not sure of still. How can negative mesomeric effect affect inductive effect ? Then of course my real question had to be "why is nitro group highly negative mesomeric?" This is general discussion anyway.
Fine then, if you say so. www.Sciencemadness.com is a dead link but I know it once worked. And negative mesomeric effect doesn't affect the inductive effect. The inductive effect is due to the three bonds nitrogen shares with the very electronegative oxygens. Inductive is not resonance and resonance is not inductive.

Last edited:
sankalpmittal said:
1)"Question regarding -I (negative inductive effect) producing group - Organic chemistry"

2)rules here say, express your "own" opinion on the question you are asking

3)BTW Chiral, the question which you call concise is rather incomplete. (Why ?)

1) I would have called it "NO2 and Inductive Effects". I'm trying to help you get your question noticed.

2) I didn't know. May I please see the rule you are speaking of?

3) I'm not sure. Please tell me what error I made in trying to understand your question.

Sorry for delayed response. Server problems.

chemisttree said:

Not a big deal. :rolleyes:

You received the partially correct answer. It's actually due to both resonance and inductive effects. You reasoned out how the formal charge produced the resonance effect and asked, "Right? Is this the reason for my question?" Hmmmm. How was the poster to answer that?

By answering "yes" or "no".
So it was partially correct, not fully ?*

If you had asked how to look for an answer using GOOGLE, I would have been right there with an answer.

Alright. I know how to google. You do not have to teach me that. :smile:

Search terms? I used terms which you had in your question and I found the answer easily. First page.

I apologize. I did the same thing but could not find the answer. Can you give me a link which contains the answer ? Thanks.

Sorry, but when you misrepresent yourself (many questions unanswered nonsense) and bash our forum, expect equal treatment.

I did not bash any forum. You brought the question I asked online, in this context. I never even mentioned it. It were you who became hyper by seeing that "too many" phrase.

Fine then, if you say so. www.Sciencemadness.com is a dead link but I know it once worked. And negative mesomeric effect doesn't affect the inductive effect. The inductive effect is due to the three bonds nitrogen shares with the very electronegative oxygens. Inductive is not resonance and resonance is not inductive.

Sorry, it is www.Sciencemadness.org. Yes, I know inductive effect, a permanent effect is due to slight displacement of sigma electrons, whereas mesomeric effect is due to displacement(oscillation) of pi electrons. Latter occurs when an electronegative atom, atom with lone pair, or charged atom is in conjugation with pi bond. Former and latter do have some similarities also. Again, in NO2 there is one pi bond between nitrogen and oxygen, one coordinate bond between nitrogen and oxygen and a lone pair on nitrogen, and not "three" sigma bonds.

ChiralWaltz said:
1) I would have called it "NO2 and Inductive Effects". I'm trying to help you get your question noticed.

Fine.

2) I didn't know. May I please see the rule you are speaking of?

It states that one should clearly state the question to be discussed. What I did is not against the rules.

3) I'm not sure. Please tell me what error I made in trying to understand your question.

You did not mention the "type" of inductive effect.

sankalpmittal said:
I did not bash any forum. You brought the question I asked online, in this context. I never even mentioned it. It were you who became hyper by seeing that "too many" phrase.

Whether you are right or wrong, you got to admit it is pretty offensive to come on a forum and ask for better forums. If you read between the lines, then everybody reads the same thing: this forum sucks. You never said that, but we will all think you are implying this.

And if you then make baseless accusations such as

Also I have some to many unanswered chemistry question here

then yeah... You should really understand why people start attacking you.

sankalpmittal said:
Hello there,

I am a high school student, and chemistry is bashing my brain hard. I am not saying that I do not understand it. I mean that when I have a doubt, where can I ask ? I know PF has a chemistry section, but I prefer maths and physics here. (No offence please). Also I have some to many unanswered chemistry question here and also in some other sites.

Can anyone recommend good chemistry forum ? Any site (though not a forum) for asking chemistry questions will also do.

Please help !

Thanks in advance. :smile:

[Just my opinion]
It appears we are having the same problem.

I asked a chemistry question a few weeks ago, trying to simplify it to the point that I could understand it better. Unfortunately, I ended up insulting someone who was trying to help me. I felt really bad and decided that I would take his advice, and try and solve the problem his way. I googled this morning how Galvanic cells worked and ran across and watched some chemistry videos at Khan Academy. I realized that I could not understand what was going on by watching the last video, so I watched the 4 previous videos in the series. Then I checked out the TED video where the creator describes his system of teaching.

One thing Salman Khan pointed out, that I think we both suffer from, is "swiss cheese gaps [in our knowledge base]". We think we can solve things at a higher level, glossing over what we both believe are trivialities.

I've watched at least 9 videos today, and can now go back to my thread, with a much clearer understanding of what is going on, and a much better grasp of the language of chemistry. There are still things I don't understand, but I don't know of a better place than PF to have my questions answered.
[/Just my opinion]

Thanks for your opinion, OmCheeto. That really helped ! :)

Can anyone recommend a forum with better students? :biggrin:

I mean ones who after being given an answer intended to help, or a suggestion, a hint, an intendedly enlightening question, etc. come back and then after a second time and so on come back again, engage in the problem-solving dialogue, preferably pursue it to a conclusion. And actually give the conclusion when they get it (which may sometimes not be as perfect as they imagine). Because usually they will get it, e.g at least it will be given them in class the week after.

Hopefully I would be up to standard on such a forum. :rolleyes:

Personally (I may be less tolerant than those professionally used to teaching) I find all these echoless or prematurely abandoned threads disconcerting and unsatisfying, especially when we were getting towards a solution or to something interesting. And I think the student will often benefit by completing.

(I am not saying the OP is a bad student in that way - he appears to return and may feel he has had some advice that contradicts some other.)

Related to Can anyone recommend any chemistry forums?

1. What are the benefits of joining a chemistry forum?

Joining a chemistry forum allows you to connect with other scientists and professionals in the field, share knowledge and resources, and receive valuable feedback and advice on your research or experiments.

2. Are there any popular chemistry forums that are reliable and active?

There are several active and reputable chemistry forums, such as ChemistForums, Reddit Chemistry, and Chemical Forums, that have a large community of members and discussions on various topics in chemistry.

3. Can I ask for help with specific chemistry problems on a forum?

Yes, most chemistry forums have a designated section for users to ask for help with specific problems or questions related to chemistry. However, it is important to follow the forum's guidelines and provide enough information for others to assist you effectively.

4. How can I contribute to a chemistry forum?

You can contribute to a chemistry forum by actively participating in discussions, sharing your knowledge and expertise, providing helpful answers to others' questions, and posting relevant and interesting content or articles related to chemistry.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines I should be aware of before joining a chemistry forum?

Yes, most chemistry forums have rules and guidelines that users are expected to follow, such as being respectful towards others, avoiding plagiarism, and staying on topic. It is important to read and understand these rules before joining a forum to ensure a positive and productive community.