Can I Reassign My USB to Serial Converter to COM 4 or Less on Windows XP?

In summary, the individual has a Prolific USB Serial Convertor that is assigned to COM 6. It works fine with devices that allow 6 serial ports, but they are now trying to use it with a device that only allows up to COM 4. They are looking for a way to reassign the USB converter to COM 4 or less. They are running WINDOWS XP 2002 on a DELL laptop and have been directed to use a specific website for assistance. They have also been advised to manually reset the port enumeration through registry modification or by using the Device Manager. They are also considering upgrading to Windows XP Service Pack 3 to potentially solve the issue.
Jobrag
I have a Prolific USB Serial Convertor which has been assigned COM 6. When connected to a device that allows 6 serial ports it works fine. I'm now trying to communicate with a device that only allows up to COM 4, how do I reassign the USB converter to COM 4 or less?
I'm running WINDOWS XP 2002 on a DELL laptop.

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you're like me and you had COM ports being enumerated starting in the double digits, the following can be used to reset the enumeration (WARNING: requires registry modification):
http://www.bisque.com/sc/forums/p/446/430.aspx

Or you can just manually do it, as per the post above me.

Thanks guys I now have an additional problem, the ports 1 to 5 are all described as being used, how do I identify what is using the port so that I can decide which one to change?

If you open up the Device Manager (accessible through the Control Panel), expand the Ports section (click on the '+' sign), and then plug in your USB-serial converter, you should be able to see it get auto-detected (you may have to hit refresh).

Have you upgrade windows xp to service pack 3 ?. It may be solve your problem.

Related to Can I Reassign My USB to Serial Converter to COM 4 or Less on Windows XP?

1. What is a USB to Serial Converter?

A USB to Serial Converter is a device that allows for communication between a computer and a device that uses a serial port. It converts the signals from the USB port on a computer to the signals used by a serial port, allowing for data transfer.

2. How does a USB to Serial Converter work?

A USB to Serial Converter works by using a microcontroller to translate the signals from the USB port to the signals used by a serial port. It also handles data buffering and flow control to ensure smooth communication between the computer and the connected device.

3. What are the advantages of using a USB to Serial Converter?

One of the main advantages of using a USB to Serial Converter is that it allows for easy and convenient connection between a computer and a device that uses a serial port. It also eliminates the need for a computer to have a built-in serial port, which is becoming increasingly rare in modern computers.

4. Can I connect multiple devices to a USB to Serial Converter?

Yes, most USB to Serial Converters have multiple ports, allowing for the connection of multiple devices. However, it is important to ensure that the converter has enough ports for all the devices you want to connect.

5. Are there any limitations to using a USB to Serial Converter?

One limitation of using a USB to Serial Converter is that it is usually limited to a maximum data transfer rate of 115,200 bits per second. This may not be sufficient for certain applications that require high-speed data transfer. Additionally, not all devices are compatible with USB to Serial Converters, so it is important to check the compatibility before purchasing one.