Can the Levi-Civita Kronecker Delta relation be proven using a matrix approach?

In summary, the Levi-Citiva Kronecker Delta relation can be proved using a determinant of a matrix with specific entries, as shown on the Wikipedia page. This method is simpler than the one used by the person asking the question.
LoopQG
This isn't a HW question just something I am curious about. I was looking on wikipedia and found a way to prive the Levi-Citiva Kronecker Delta relation that I hadn't seen before.

The site claims
[tex]
\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{lmn} = \det \begin{bmatrix}
\delta_{il} \delta_{im} \delta_{in}\\
\delta_{jl} \delta_{jm} \delta_{jn}\\
\delta_{kl} \delta_{km} \delta_{kn}\\
\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

= [tex]
\delta_{il}\left( \delta_{jm}\delta_{kn} - \delta_{jn}\delta_{km}\right) - \delta_{im}\left( \delta_{jl}\delta_{kn} - \delta_{jn}\delta_{kl} \right) + \delta_{in} \left( \delta_{jl}\delta_{km} - \delta_{jm}\delta_{kl} \right) \
[/tex]

the website is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levi-Civita_symbol

The way I have proved the relation before is showing that all 81 components of the tensor are zero accept the [tex] \delta_{jm}\delta_{kn} - \delta_{jn}\delta_{km}
[/tex] terms.

Taking the determinate of the matrix I do get the correct answer,just not sure why you can write that matrix down.

Can anybody offer a proof of the matrix ? If so it is much easier than the way I have previously done it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I took a look at the Wikipedia page, and I can offer only what I came up with as an explanation:

On the Wikipedia page, below the definition of [itex]\varepsilon_{ijk}[/itex], there is the claim
[tex]\det A = \sum_{i=1}^3\sum_{j=1}^3\sum_{k=1}^3 \varepsilon_{ijk}a_{1i}a_{2j}a_{3k}.[/tex]​

This is a well-known equivalent form of the determinant that generalizes easily to higher dimensions (in the form of even and odd permutations). We will take it for granted.

Two other facts about the determinant we take for granted are that det(AB) = det(A)det(B) and that det(AT) = det(A). This all actually can be proved rigorously, beginning with the determinant function defined by properties, but it is a fair amount of work.

Consider the matrix A to be the matrix with a1i, a2j, a3k = 1 and everything else 0. From the above, [itex]\det A = \varepsilon_{ijk}[/itex]. We may define a similar matrix B whose determinant is [itex]\varepsilon_{lmn}[/itex].

The product [itex]\varepsilon_{ijk}\varepsilon_{lmn}[/itex] equals [itex]\det(AB^T)[/itex]. What are the entries of this matrix? Take the top left entry for illustration. It equals
a11b11 + a12b21 + a13b31.

Only when i=l do we have a1i and bl1 matching up to give 1. Otherwise, the sum is 0. Therefore, the top left entry is equal to [itex]\delta_{il}[/itex]. Likewise reasoning gives us the other 8 matrix entries.

This generalizes immediately to the higher dimensional case.

1. What is the Epsilon Delta Relation?

The Epsilon Delta Relation is a mathematical concept that is used to define limits in calculus. It is used to formally prove the limit of a function at a specific point.

2. How is the Epsilon Delta Relation used in calculus?

The Epsilon Delta Relation is used to prove the limit of a function at a specific point. It involves selecting a small value for epsilon and finding a corresponding value for delta that ensures the function values are within epsilon distance from the limit.

3. Why is the Epsilon Delta Relation important in calculus?

The Epsilon Delta Relation is important in calculus because it provides a rigorous and formal way to define and prove limits of functions. It helps to establish the foundations of calculus and is an essential tool in solving many mathematical problems.

4. What is the significance of the Epsilon Delta Relation in real-world applications?

The Epsilon Delta Relation has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to analyze and predict the behavior of systems and to solve optimization problems. It also plays a crucial role in advanced calculus concepts such as continuity and differentiability.

5. Are there any limitations to the Epsilon Delta Relation?

While the Epsilon Delta Relation is a powerful tool in calculus, it does have its limitations. It can only be used to prove the limit of a function at a specific point and cannot be used for more complex functions or multiple variables. It also requires a high level of mathematical understanding and may not be accessible to everyone.