Proving the Contracted Epsilon Identity

In summary, Contracted Epsilon Identity is a scientific principle used to identify and classify objects based on their properties and characteristics. It is commonly used in various fields of science and has the significance of aiding in accurate observations and measurements. It can also be applied to living organisms, but it does have limitations, such as not accounting for variations within a species or objects with similar properties but different identities.
BOAS
Hi,

I am confused about how I arrive at the contracted epsilon identity. [tex]\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{imn} = \delta_{jm} \delta_{kn} - \delta_{jn} \delta_{km}[/tex]

1. Homework Statement

Show that [tex]\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{imn} = \delta_{jm} \delta_{kn} - \delta_{jn} \delta_{km}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
From the relation between the Levi-civita symbol and the Kronecker delta, I compute [itex]\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{imn}[/itex] by finding the determinant of the following matrix.

[itex]\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{imn} = det \left[ \begin{array}{cccc} \delta_{ii} & \delta_{im} & \delta_{in} \\ \delta_{ji} & \delta_{jm} & \delta_{jn} \\ \delta_{ki} & \delta_{km} & \delta_{kn} \end{array} \right][/itex] which yields

[itex]\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{imn} = \delta_{ii} (\delta_{jm} \delta_{kn} - \delta_{jn} \delta_{km}) - \delta_{im} (\delta_{ji} \delta_{kn} - \delta_{jn} \delta_{ki}) + \delta_{in} (\delta_{ji} \delta_{km} - \delta_{jm} \delta_{ki})[/itex]I am confused about how to progress.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Physics news on Phys.org
For starters, what does ## \delta_{ii} ## equal? Note that you need to sum over repeated indices.

Geofleur said:
For starters, what does ## \delta_{ii} ## equal? Note that you need to sum over repeated indices.

[tex]\delta_{ii} = 3[/tex]

This seems to be the only repeated indice.

BOAS said:
Hi,

I am confused about how I arrive at the contracted epsilon identity. [tex]\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{imn} = \delta_{jm} \delta_{kn} - \delta_{jn} \delta_{km}[/tex]

1. Homework Statement

Show that [tex]\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{imn} = \delta_{jm} \delta_{kn} - \delta_{jn} \delta_{km}[/tex]

3. The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{imn} = \delta_{ii} (\delta_{jm} \delta_{kn} - \delta_{jn} \delta_{km}) - \delta_{im} (\delta_{ji} \delta_{kn} - \delta_{jn} \delta_{ki}) + \delta_{in} (\delta_{ji} \delta_{km} - \delta_{jm} \delta_{ki})[/itex]I am confused about how to progress.

Note that your first term in the expansion: ##\delta_{ii} (\delta_{jm} \delta_{kn} - \delta_{jn} \delta_{km})## looks a lot like the final result you are looking for.
Then, the challenge should be to show that ##- \delta_{im} (\delta_{ji} \delta_{kn} - \delta_{jn} \delta_{ki}) + \delta_{in} (\delta_{ji} \delta_{km} - \delta_{jm} \delta_{ki}) = 0## in all cases. To do this, think about what must be true for any term to not be zero, and show that it implies another opposite term must also not be zero.

BOAS said:
[tex]\delta_{ii} = 3[/tex]

This seems to be the only repeated indice.
You seem to be using a different definition of the Kronecker delta? Usually the only possible outcomes are 0 or 1.

RUber said:
You seem to be using a different definition of the Kronecker delta? Usually the only possible outcomes are 0 or 1.

I thought the idea was that [itex]\delta_{ii}[/itex] implied the summation of [itex]\delta_{11}, \delta_{22}, and \delta_{33}[/itex], which are each respectively equal to 1.

That's right, ## \delta_{ii} = \delta_{11} + \delta_{22} + \delta_{33} = 3 ##. Now eliminate the ## \delta ##'s in front of the other two terms and see what happens.

I see. I was thinking one term at a time, rather than the sum over the terms.
In that case, I get the same result as Geofleur.

Geofleur said:
That's right, ## \delta_{ii} = \delta_{11} + \delta_{22} + \delta_{33} = 3 ##. Now eliminate the ## \delta ##'s in front of the other two terms and see what happens.

I am unsure of how to evaluate these deltas.

[itex]\delta_{im} = 0[/itex] unless [itex]i = m[/itex] so do they both just vanish?

They do vanish unless ## i = m ##. In that case, the ##\delta##'s in front become ones, and the ## i ##'s inside the parenthesized terms become ## m ##'s.

Likes BOAS
Note that the ##i##'s are repeated and thus being summed over.

Geofleur said:
They do vanish unless ## i = m ##. In that case, the ##\delta##'s in front become ones, and the ## i ##'s inside the parenthesized terms become ## m ##'s.

ahh, I see.

so I have that [itex]\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{imn} = 3 \delta_{jm} \delta_{kn} - 3 \delta_{jn} \delta_{km} - \delta_{jm} \delta_{kn} + \delta_{jn} \delta_{km} + \delta_{jn} \delta_{km} - \delta_{jm} \delta_{kn} = \delta_{jm} \delta_{kn} - \delta_{jn} \delta_{km}[/itex]

Thank you very much for your help!

BOAS said:
Hi,

1. Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

The factor ##\epsilon_{ijk}## vanishes unless ##ijk## is a permutation of ##123##, so for any pair ##j \neq k## the required ##i## is uniquely determined. Then, for that ##i##, ##\epsilon_{imn}## vanishes unless ##mn## is a permutation of ##jk##. Thus, for a nonzero term on the left, we need either ##j = m## and ##k = n## (in which case the left-hand-side is ##(\pm1 )^2 = +1##, or ##j = n## and ##k = m## (in which case the left-hand-side is ##(-1)(+1) = -1##). That is, the nonzero values of the left-hand-side are the same as the nonzero values of ##\delta_{jm} \delta_{kn} - \delta_{jn} \delta_{km}##. The same is true of the zero values, so the two sides must be equal.

Likes Fredrik

1. What is Contracted Epsilon Identity?

Contracted Epsilon Identity is a scientific principle that states that for any two objects, if they have the same identity, then they must also have the same properties and characteristics.

2. How is Contracted Epsilon Identity used in science?

Contracted Epsilon Identity is used in various fields of science, such as chemistry and physics, to help identify and classify objects based on their properties and characteristics.

3. What is the significance of Contracted Epsilon Identity?

The significance of Contracted Epsilon Identity is that it helps scientists make accurate and precise observations and measurements by providing a standard for identifying and classifying objects.

4. Can Contracted Epsilon Identity be applied to living organisms?

Yes, Contracted Epsilon Identity can be applied to living organisms. It is often used in biology to classify and identify different species based on their unique characteristics.

5. Are there any limitations to Contracted Epsilon Identity?

While Contracted Epsilon Identity is a useful principle, it does have some limitations. For example, it cannot account for variations within a species or objects that may have the same properties but different identities.