E-permutation and Kronecker delta identity

In summary: Yes. The kronecker delta can be represented as an identity matrix, so that ##\delta_{ik}\delta_{kj}## is equivalent to a matrix multiplication of two identity matrices and ##\delta_{ii}## is simply the trace of the identity matrix.In summary, the kronecker delta can be represented as an identity matrix, so that ##\delta_{ik}\delta_{kj}## is equivalent to a matrix multiplication of two identity matrices and ##\delta_{ii}## is simply the trace of the identity matrix.
hotvette
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

[tex] \text{Show that } \epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{mjk} = 2\delta_{im} [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{mnp} =
\left| \! \begin{array}{ccc}
\delta_{im} & \delta_{in} & \delta_{ip}
\\ \delta_{jm} & \delta_{jn} & \delta_{jp}
\\ \delta_{km} & \delta_{kn} & \delta_{kp} \end{array} \! \right|
\end{equation*}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
\begin{align*}
&\text{Evaluating the first term of the determinant, I get:}
\\
&\delta_{im}
\left| \! \begin{array}{cc}
\delta_{jj} & \delta_{jk}
\\ \delta_{kj} & \delta_{kk} \end{array} \! \right|
= \delta_{im}(\delta_{jj}\delta_{kk}-\delta_{jk}\delta_{kj}) = \delta_{im}(9-3) = 6\delta_{im}
\\
& \text{But I'm not sure that's correct. If I just look at } \delta_{ii} \text{ , I get} \\
& \delta_{ii} = \delta_{11} + \delta_{22} + \delta_{33} = 3
\text{ which means }
\delta_{jj}\delta_{kk} = 3(3) = 9
\end{align*} [/tex]
Am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think you're doing something wrong though? While I prefer sneakier (or rather more lazy) approaches, this seems to work out fine. The other two terms in the determinant should add up nicely with the first term you got to give you the correct answer.

Hmm, I guess I picked the easiest term to evaluate If I now look at the 2nd term of the determinant:
\begin{equation*}
- \delta_{ij}(\delta_{jm}\delta_{kk}-\delta_{jk}\delta_{km})= - \delta_{ij}\delta_{jm}\delta_{kk} + \delta_{ij}\delta_{jk}\delta_{km}
\end{equation*}
I get for the first part:
\begin{equation*}
- \delta_{ij}\delta_{jm}\delta_{kk} =-3\delta_{ij}\delta_{jm}
\end{equation*}
And I'm not sure what to do next. I can see that the expression is zero unless [itex]j=i[/itex], which means:
\begin{equation*}
-3\delta_{ij}\delta_{jm} = -3\delta_{jj}\delta_{im} = -9 \delta_{im}
\end{equation*}
For the 2nd part of the 2nd term:
\begin{equation*}
\delta_{ij}\delta_{jk}\delta_{km}
\end{equation*}
Using the same logic, the sum will be zero unless [itex]i=j=k[/itex]. Thus:
\begin{equation*}
\delta_{ij}\delta_{jk}\delta_{km} = \delta_{jj}\delta_{kk}\delta_{im} = 9\delta_{im}
\end{equation*}
Something tells me this isn't right.

hotvette said:
And I'm not sure what to do next. I can see that the expression is zero unless [itex]j=i[/itex], which means:
\begin{equation*}
-3\delta_{ij}\delta_{jm} = -3\delta_{jj}\delta_{im} = -9 \delta_{im}
\end{equation*}
Nope, this isn't right. ##\delta_{ij}\delta_{jm} = \delta_{im}##. You can't replace ##\delta_{ij}## with ##\delta_{jj}## because "the expression is zero unless [itex]j=i[/itex]" - that statement is what ##\delta_{ij}## itself means!

hotvette said:
Using the same logic, the sum will be zero unless [itex]i=j=k[/itex]. Thus:
\begin{equation*}
\delta_{ij}\delta_{jk}\delta_{km} = \delta_{jj}\delta_{kk}\delta_{im} = 9\delta_{im}
\end{equation*}
Similarly, ##\delta_{ij}\delta_{jk}\delta_{km} = \delta_{im}##.

As a general rule of thumb, the "index replacement rule" ##\delta_{ij} A_{j} = A_{i}## can be applied to products of kronecker deltas as well.

hotvette said:
Am I doing something wrong?

What about a more intuitive approach? If ##i \ne m## then at least one of ##\epsilon_{ijk}, \epsilon_{mjk}## must be ##0##

And if ##i = m## you have ##\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{ijk}##

For any ##i## there are only two choices for ##j, k## for which ##\epsilon_{ijk} \ne 0## ##\dots##

Thanks for the replies. Let me ponder them.

I think I understand now. One way to think of [itex]\delta_{ij}[/itex] is that it is either numeric or an operator. For example: \begin{align*}&\delta_{ii}=3 \\&\delta_{ik}\delta_{jk}=\delta_{ij}\\&\delta_{ik}\delta_{jk}\delta_{nn}=3\delta_{ij}\end{align*}

hotvette said:
I think I understand now. One way to think of [itex]\delta_{ij}[/itex] is that it is either numeric or an operator. For example: \begin{align*}&\delta_{ii}=3 \\&\delta_{ik}\delta_{jk}=\delta_{ij}\\&\delta_{ik}\delta_{jk}\delta_{nn}=3\delta_{ij}\end{align*}
Well, the kronecker delta is a tensor, and when you have repeated indices, you are actually performing a contraction that reduces the rank of the tensor. Another way of seeing it is that the kronecker delta can be represented as an identity matrix, so that ##\delta_{ik}\delta_{kj}## is equivalent to a matrix multiplication of two identity matrices and ##\delta_{ii}## is simply the trace of the identity matrix.

I think I understand. Thanks!

1. What is an E-permutation?

An E-permutation, also known as an elementary permutation, is a type of permutation that involves swapping two elements in a sequence. It is typically denoted by the symbol E and is commonly used in algebraic and combinatorial calculations.

2. How is an E-permutation represented mathematically?

An E-permutation can be represented using cycle notation, where the elements being swapped are enclosed in parentheses. For example, (1 2) represents the permutation that swaps the first and second elements in a sequence.

3. What is the Kronecker delta identity?

The Kronecker delta identity, also known as the Kronecker delta function, is a mathematical concept used to represent the relationship between two variables. It is denoted by the symbol Δ and has a value of 1 if the two variables are equal, and 0 if they are not equal.

4. How is the Kronecker delta identity used in E-permutations?

In E-permutations, the Kronecker delta identity is often used to simplify calculations involving E-permutations. It allows for the determination of whether two elements in a sequence are swapped or not, without having to write out the entire permutation. This can make calculations more efficient and easier to understand.

5. What are some real-life applications of E-permutation and the Kronecker delta identity?

E-permutations and the Kronecker delta identity have various applications in fields such as mathematics, physics, and computer science. They are used in coding theory, quantum mechanics, and data analysis, among others. In everyday life, they can be applied in tasks such as sorting and arranging items, creating schedules, and organizing data in spreadsheets.