Can the Noether current be derived from the electrodynamic Lagrangian?

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of the variation of the electrodynamic Lagrangian and the derivation of the Noether-current from this Lagrangian. It also discusses the symmetry transformations and the construction of the Noether current using a vector field. The speaker also mentions their interest in verifying the current for the electrodynamic Lagrangian and their suspicion that it may not be exact. They also mention their confusion with the calculation and ask for clarification on the corresponding Noether current and its exactness.
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Hi, I have a computational question which concerns forms. I want to compute the variation of the electrodynamic Lagrangian, seen here as an n-form:

[tex]L = -\frac{1}{2}F \wedge *F[/tex]

with F=dA. I want to derive the Noether-current from this Lagrangian. The symmetrytransformation we are concerned with are coordinatetransformations induced by Lie-derivatives acting on A. A general variation of L can be composed as

[tex]\delta L = E \cdot\delta A+ d\Theta[/tex]

where [tex]\Theta[/tex] are the boundary terms and E are the equations of motion for the vector potential A. If we now have a vector field [tex]\xi[/tex] we can construct the Noether current

[tex]
\mathcal{J} \equiv \Theta -\xi\cdot L
[/tex]

(where the dot indicates contraction with the first index of L) such that

[tex]d\mathcal{J} = - E\delta A[/tex]

If the equations of motion hold, then there can be a Noether charge Q such that

[tex] \mathcal{J} = dQ [/tex]

I want to verify this for the electrodynamic Lagrangian given above, and I have the suspicion that for this particular Lagrangian we can't construct this Q ( so that the current [tex]\mathcal{J}[/tex] isn't exact, but it should be closed). But I'm a little stuck with the calculation. A variation of L gives me

[tex] \delta L = -\frac{1}{2} (\delta F \wedge *F + F \wedge \delta *F)[/tex]

which can be worked out, with F=dA, as

[tex]
\delta L = -\frac{1}{2}[d(\delta A \wedge *F) + \delta A \wedge d*F + F \wedge \delta *F ][/tex]

I'm interested in the A-field. I thought that

[tex]
\delta * F = * \delta F + \frac{1}{2}(g^{\alpha\beta}\delta g_{\alpha\beta}) * F
[/tex]

and the metric-part is going to give me the energy-momentum tensor of the electromagnetic field, which we can disregard. I recognize in this variation

[tex]
\Theta = -\frac{1}{2}\delta A \wedge *F
[/tex]

So I would say that my Noether current is given by

[tex]
\mathcal{J} = -\frac{1}{2}\Bigr(\delta A - \xi\cdot F \Bigr)\wedge * F
[/tex]

but if I take the exterior derivative of this, it doesn't give me the form I want; It's not exact if the equations of motion for A hold.

So my questions are :

1)what is the corresponding Noether current for the electrodynamic Lagrangian associated with diffeomorphism-invariance of the action?

2) Is this current exact?

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks.....

hi

thanks..for all and i wait more...

Try consulting Eguchi,Gilkey and Hanson:"Gravitation,gauge theories and differential geometry",Physics Reports,Vol.66,6,pp.213-393,December 1980.This is a nice handbook-style article that you may already be familiar with.

tensordichte said:
Try consulting Eguchi,Gilkey and Hanson:"Gravitation,gauge theories and differential geometry",Physics Reports,Vol.66,6,pp.213-393,December 1980.This is a nice handbook-style article that you may already be familiar with.

Thanks for the advice ! A late reply, because I spend some time elsewhere :) I already solved this problem myself, but I will certainly take a glance at your article !

Related to Can the Noether current be derived from the electrodynamic Lagrangian?

1. What is the Lagrangian of electrodynamics?

The Lagrangian of electrodynamics is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of electric and magnetic fields in a given system. It is based on the principles of classical mechanics and is used to derive the equations of motion for electrically charged particles in electromagnetic fields.

2. How is the Lagrangian of electrodynamics derived?

The Lagrangian of electrodynamics is derived by applying the principle of least action, which states that the actual path of a system between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action integral. This involves integrating the Lagrangian over time and finding the path that gives the minimum value.

3. What are the components of the Lagrangian of electrodynamics?

The Lagrangian of electrodynamics consists of two main components: the kinetic energy term, which describes the energy of moving charged particles, and the potential energy term, which describes the interactions between charged particles and electromagnetic fields.

4. What is the significance of the Lagrangian of electrodynamics?

The Lagrangian of electrodynamics is significant because it provides a unified description of electric and magnetic fields and their interactions with charged particles. It also allows for the derivation of the equations of motion for these systems, making it a powerful tool in understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic systems.

5. How is the Lagrangian of electrodynamics used in practical applications?

The Lagrangian of electrodynamics is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies, such as electromagnetic devices and systems, and in the study of complex physical phenomena, such as plasma physics and quantum electrodynamics. It also plays a crucial role in the theoretical framework of modern physics, including the theories of relativity and quantum mechanics.