Cancellation of terms, Kittel (first edition) equation 6.4

• Thread starter Irishdoug
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary: So we are left with$$ U = \frac{\frac{3}{2M} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{c p_{x1}^2} dp_{x1}} {\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{c p_{x1}^2} dp_{x1}}$$So I guess I have gone some way to proving it. But I'm confused at why we can do this. The integrals in the denominator and numerator are only the same after integrating out the p terms in the denominator. Is this simply because the product of all those integrals over ##p_{x1
Irishdoug
Homework Statement
I am self studying and cannot understand a cancellation of terms that occurs in the text.
Relevant Equations
In thermal equilibrium at temperature T, with N particles all of mass N, the internal energy is equal to the kinetic energy i.e. U = E

$$E = \frac{1}{2M} \sum_{i=1}^{N} (p_{xi}^{2} + p_{yi}^{2} + p_{zi}^{2})$$

$$E_{average} = U = \frac{\frac{1}{2M} \sum_{\alpha = 1}^{3N} p_{\alpha}^{2} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Pi_{\beta = 1}^{3N} e^{\frac{-p_{\beta}^{2}}{2M k_{b}T} }dp}{\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Pi_{\beta = 1}^{3N} e^{\frac{-p_{\beta}^{2}}{2M k_{b}T} }dp}$$

as we know from classical physics that the average value of a quantity A in thermal equilibrium is

$$A_{average} = \frac{A(p,q) \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{\frac{-E}{k_{b}T} }dpdq} {\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{\frac{-E}{k_{b}T} }dpdq}$$
I'm happy I understand why the dq terms cancel out. So,

$$E_{average} = U = \frac{\frac{1}{2M} \sum_{\alpha = 1}^{3N} p_{\alpha}^{2} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Pi_{\beta = 1}^{3N} e^{\frac{-p_{\beta}^{2}}{2M k_{b}T} }dp}{\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Pi_{\beta = 1}^{3N} e^{\frac{-p_{\beta}^{2}}{2M k_{b}T} }dp}$$

This term reduces to

$$E_{average} = U = \frac{\frac{1}{2M} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} p_{\alpha}^{2} e^{\frac{-p_{\alpha}^{2}}{2M k_{b}T}} dp_{\alpha}} {\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{\frac{-p_{\alpha}^{2}}{2M k_{b}T}} dp_{\alpha}}$$

I do not see how this occurs. I have attempted to play around with the exponentials e.g. using ##e^{a-b} = \frac{e^{a}}{e^{b}}## but here I am left with ##e^{0}##. I have also explicitedly written out the summation and multiplication but it does not seem to help.

Any help or tips appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Irishdoug said:
Homework Statement:: I am self studying and cannot understand a cancellation of terms that occurs in the text.
Relevant Equations:: In thermal equilibrium at temperature T, with N particles all of mass N, the internal energy is equal to the kinetic energy i.e. U = E
No help so far, so I'll give it a first shot (don't have the full answer - can't find your source; 1st ed ? Thermal physics, or solid state physics?)

You really want to be as accurate as possible when doing things like this, so check what you wrote. You mean
temperature ##T##, with ##N## particles all of mass ##\bf M##.
$$E = \frac{1}{2M} \sum_{i=1}^{N} (p_{xi}^{2} + p_{yi}^{2} + p_{zi}^{2}) \tag 1 $$
So this is the total energy for ##N## particles in three dimensions. Is that what you meant ? Otherwise a 'small' correction is needed (##\frac 1 N##) .
No, that can't be the case, because
as we know from classical physics that the average value of a quantity A in thermal equilibrium is
$$A_{average} =
\frac{A(p,q) \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{\frac{-E}{k_{b}T} }dpdq}
{\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{\frac{-E}{k_{b}T} }dpdq}
$$
is incorrect. Do you mean$$
A_{average} =
\frac{\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} A(p,q) \ e^{-\frac{E}{kT} }dp\,dq}
{\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\frac{E}{kT} }dp\,dq}\quad ?$$

I'm happy I understand why the dq terms cancel out.
Good. We note that ##dp\,dq## is shorthand for ##\ d^{3N}p\, d^{3N}q\ ## and the ##(p, q)## in ##A(p, q)## is shorthand for ##(p_1, \ldots, p_{3N},\,q_1, \ldots ,q_{3N})\ ## and, if ##A(p,q) = A(p)## , the integrations over ##dq_i## can be taken out and integrated (namely to what value ?), and then the factors in numerator and denominator cancel.

So, you want to look at $$
E_{average} =
\frac{{\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}} E \ e^{-\frac{E}{kT} }dp\,dq}
{{\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}} e^{-\frac{E}{kT} }dp\,dq}$$
with ##E## as in ##(1)##, independent of ##q##. We've seen we can drop the ##q##.

With an eye on the next equation it looks as if the expectation value of the sum is the sum of the expectation values. Is that a reasonable phrasing of your problem ? i.e. swapping the ##\sum## and the ##\int## ?

##\ ##

Likes vanhees71
Hi BvU. Thankyou for the response. I'm using Kittel's solid state book. Sorry I thought he only had that one. And yes I have the first edition (and the 7th!). I feel from a cursory glance he goes through the maths in a more understandable way in the first, at least in some sections. I am busy today so will get back to going through your response in more detail later, where I may or may not have more questions.

'No, that can't be the case, because'

Yes that was an error I meant to write what you wrote!

Thanks again.

BvU said:
No help so far, so I'll give it a first shot (don't have the full answer - can't find your source; 1st ed ? Thermal physics, or solid state physics?)

You really want to be as accurate as possible when doing things like this, so check what you wrote. You mean
temperature ##T##, with ##N## particles all of mass ##\bf M##.

So this is the total energy for ##N## particles in three dimensions. Is that what you meant ? Otherwise a 'small' correction is needed (##\frac 1 N##) .

No, that can't be the case, because

is incorrect. Do you mean$$
A_{average} =
{\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\frac{E}{kT} }dp\,dq}\quad ?$$Good. We note that ##dp\,dq## is shorthand for ##\ d^{3N}p\, d^{3N}q\ ## and the ##(p, q)## in ##A(p, q)## is shorthand for ##(p_1, \ldots, p_{3N},\,q_1, \ldots ,q_{3N})\ ## and, if ##A(p,q) = A(p)## , the integrations over ##dq_i## can be taken out and integrated (namely to what value ?), and then the factors in numerator and denominator cancel.

So, you want to look at $$
E_{average} =
\frac{{\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}} E \ e^{-\frac{E}{kT} }dp\,dq}
{{\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}} e^{-\frac{E}{kT} }dp\,dq}$$
with ##E## as in ##(1)##, independent of ##q##. We've seen we can drop the ##q##.

With an eye on the next equation it looks as if the expectation value of the sum is the sum of the expectation values. Is that a reasonable phrasing of your problem ? i.e. swapping the ##\sum## and the ##\int## ?

##\ ##

$$A_{average} =
{\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\frac{E}{kT} }dp\,dq}\quad ?$$

Yes I meant this indeed.

So I'm viewing it as follows:

p = $$(p_{x1}, p_{y1}, p_{z1} ; p_{x2}, p_{y2}, p_{z2}... p_{xN}, p_{yN}, p_{zN})$$
so
dp = $$(dp_{x1}, dp_{y1}, dp_{z1} ; dp_{x2}, dp_{y2}, dp_{z2}... dp_{xN}, dp_{yN}, dp_dp_{zN})$$

Let's assume N = 1 and for ##alpha = 1## we have

$$ U = \frac{\frac{1}{2M} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} (p_{x1}^2 + p_{y1}^2 + p_{z1}^2) (e^{c p_{x1}^2}.e^{c p_{y1}^2}.e^{c p_{z1}^2}.e^{c p_{x2}^2}.e^{c p_{y2}^2}.e^{c p_{z2}^2}.e^{c p_{x3}^2}.e^{c p_{y3}^2}.e^{c p_{z3}^2}) dp_{x1}dp_{y1}dp_{z1}} {\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} (e^{c p_{x1}^2}.e^{c p_{y1}^2}.e^{c p_{z1}^2}.e^{c p_{x2}^2}.e^{c p_{y2}^2}.e^{c p_{z2}^2}.e^{c p_{x3}^2}.e^{c p_{y3}^2}.e^{c p_{z3}^2} dp_{x1}dp_{y1}dp_{z1} }$$

where $$c = \frac{1}{2Mk_{B}T}$$. We can now split this into 3 different integrals e.g

I can't get this to format, but all the constant terms i.e those not dependent on ##dp_{x1}## come outside in the first integral, those that don't depend on ##dp_{x2}## come outside etc.The terms can be seen to cancel leaving
$$\frac{\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} p_{x1}^2 e^{c p_{x1}^2} dp_{x1}}{\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{c p_{x1}^2} dp_{x1}} etc.$$

Does this sound reasonable?
the integrations over ##dq_i## can be taken out and integrated (namely to what value ?)

I'm thinking 0 but maybe this would cause the whole eqaution to be 0. I will have to think about it more!

Last edited:
Irishdoug said:
Does this sound reasonable?
I think that's the idea, yes.

Irishdoug said:
I'm thinking 0
Nope. ##\int_{q_{min}}^{q_{max}} {\rm dq}\ ## is simply ##{q_{max}}-{q_{min}} ## so the lot of them multiplied with each other give you a volume. Which cancels against idem in the denominator.Disclaimer: I'm a little out of my depth here - based on memories from student-times long ago. Perhaps @vanhees71 can shed some more didactically responsible light on this ... ?

##\ ##

Likes Irishdoug
BvU said:
I think that's the idea, yes.Nope. ##\int_{q_{min}}^{q_{max}} {\rm dq}\ ## is simply ##{q_{max}}-{q_{min}} ## so the lot of them multiplied with each other give you a volume. Which cancels against idem in the denominator.Disclaimer: I'm a little out of my depth here - based on memories from student-times long ago. Perhaps @vanhees71 can shed some more didactically responsible light on this ... ?

##\ ##
Well what you have said sounds more reasonable. The integral is given as ##\int_{\-infty}^{\infty}## which is why I said what I did.

1. What is the Kittel (first edition) equation 6.4?

The Kittel (first edition) equation 6.4 is a mathematical equation that describes the cancellation of terms in the calculation of magnetic susceptibility in a ferromagnetic material. It is named after physicist Charles Kittel, who first published it in the first edition of his book "Introduction to Solid State Physics" in 1953.

2. Why is the cancellation of terms important in the Kittel equation?

The cancellation of terms in the Kittel equation is important because it allows for a more accurate calculation of magnetic susceptibility in ferromagnetic materials. Without this cancellation, the equation would not accurately reflect the magnetic properties of these materials.

3. How is the Kittel equation derived?

The Kittel equation is derived from the Heisenberg model of ferromagnetism, which describes the interactions between magnetic moments in a material. By considering the interactions between neighboring magnetic moments, the equation is derived and used to calculate the magnetic susceptibility.

4. What factors affect the cancellation of terms in the Kittel equation?

The cancellation of terms in the Kittel equation is affected by factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the temperature of the material, and the interactions between neighboring magnetic moments. These factors can change the magnitude of the terms being cancelled and therefore affect the overall calculation of magnetic susceptibility.

5. Are there any limitations to the Kittel equation?

Yes, there are limitations to the Kittel equation. It is based on the Heisenberg model, which is a simplified model of ferromagnetism and does not take into account all the complexities of real materials. Additionally, the equation is only applicable to ferromagnetic materials and cannot be used for other types of magnetism.