"Cannot create Application Data Folder" (Skype debugging)

In summary, the error is telling me that there is a problem with the webpage and that I should use the built-in script debugger in IE. However, every time I try to use the debugger, I get a message that says "Cannot create Application Data Folder." I don't know what to do next.
nomadreid
Gold Member
In Skype, I am getting

“Do you want to debug this webpage?
This webpage contains errors that might prevent it from displaying or working correctly. If you are not testing this webpage, click No.”

Then, I can click or not click
"Use the built-in script debugger in Internet Explorer."

(No matter which one I select, the result as described below is the same.)

In the box below it appears

“Line 1: Error
Error: Object expected”

The first time it appeared, I clicked “No” and continued what I was doing. The image started to break up after about 20 minutes into a Skype video call, with a notification that there was a problem with the Internet connection. (But the other Internet sites were working fine.) I then went back, restarted Skype, and got the error message. I clicked “Use the built-in script debugger...”.

Then I get the message “Cannot create Application Data Folder”. I clicked OK, and nothing more appeared. When I started Skype the next time, same comedy. I tried all the variations. Always the same useless result.

What is going on?

Is there any better solution than reloading Skype (where, I suspect, the same problem will occur)? Oh, and recently I updated to the most recent version of Skype (7.12); in the last version this problem was not occurring.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Have you tried opening it in another browser?

I don't actually open it in a browser ... do I? That is, the Skype program is a separate app on my desktop. I don't know why it chooses the Explorer debugger. It didn't seem to give me a choice. Is there some setting in Skype that allows it to use Firefox instead? I looked in Advanced> Settings and found nothing that was browser related.

I haven't used Skype in a long time. I knew that Microsoft purchased it and based on your notes above, I thought that it was now browser based. As for the “Cannot create Application Data Folder” message, it sounds like the program doesn't have permission to create a folder somewhere in your C:\Users\<username>\AppData directory. You might want to try doing a system restore to before you updated or see if you can download and install the previous version.

Thanks for the suggestions, Borg.

1. What does "Cannot create Application Data Folder" mean when debugging Skype?

When debugging Skype, this error message indicates that the application is having trouble creating or accessing the folder where it stores application data. This folder is typically used to store user preferences, login information, and other important data that is necessary for the application to run properly.

2. Why am I seeing this error message when trying to use Skype?

There could be several reasons why you are seeing this error message. It could be due to a corrupted installation of Skype, a problem with your computer's file system, or a lack of permissions to access the Application Data Folder. It is also possible that another program or process is preventing Skype from creating or accessing the folder.

3. How do I fix the "Cannot create Application Data Folder" error when debugging Skype?

There are a few steps you can try to fix this error. First, try restarting your computer and then opening Skype again. If that doesn't work, try reinstalling Skype or repairing the installation if that option is available. If the error persists, you may need to check your computer's file system for any issues or adjust your permissions to allow access to the Application Data Folder.

4. Can I still use Skype even with this error message?

In most cases, you should still be able to use Skype even if you see this error message. However, some features and settings may not work properly if the application is unable to access the Application Data Folder. It is recommended to try fixing the error to ensure the best experience with Skype.

5. Is this a common issue with Skype?

This error message is not uncommon, and it can occur on any version of Skype and on any operating system. It is often caused by a temporary glitch or conflict within the application or computer. However, if you continue to experience this error frequently, it may be worth contacting Skype support for further assistance.