Capacitance for a parallel RC circuit

In summary, the problem involves finding the values of the resistor and capacitor in a circuit with a Zener diode, in order to maintain a voltage of 4.7V and power of 5mW. The resistance can be found using the formula P=V^2/R, but the capacitance remains unknown. The equations Ic=CdV/dt and Ir=V/R are obtained, but more information is needed, such as the type of rectifier and peak voltage, to solve for C.
envanyatar

Homework Statement

A circuit consists of a Zener diode, capacitor and resistor in parallel. Voltage to be maintained across the components is 4.7V, power 5mW. Find the values for resistor and capacitor

Homework Equations

(Below)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the resistance by taking P=V^2/R, and using the given values for P and V, R=4.4k(Ohms). I have a problem with finding the capacitance value.
I found the current for the resistor. But there're 2 unknowns now, the capacitor value and the Ic. I've come up to the point where two equations are obtained: Ic=CdV/dt; Ir=V/R. How do I proceed from here to get C? Is this the correct way of approaching this?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is incomplete. Is this circuit connected to the output of a rectifier? If so, is it full wave or half wave? What is the peak voltage of the rectified voltage. (I assume the frequency is 60 Hz).

Yes, you are on the right track. To find the capacitance value, you can use the formula for the time constant of a parallel RC circuit, which is T = RC. In this case, we know the time constant (T) is equal to 1/f, where f is the frequency of the circuit. Since we are given the voltage and power, we can also calculate the current (I) using the formula P = IV. Once you have the current value, you can plug it into the equation I = C(dV/dt) to solve for the capacitance (C). Alternatively, you can also use the formula for the impedance of a parallel RC circuit, which is Z = 1/√(1/R^2 + (1/ωC)^2), where ω is the angular frequency of the circuit. You can rearrange this formula to solve for C. I hope this helps.

Related to Capacitance for a parallel RC circuit

1. What is capacitance for a parallel RC circuit?

Capacitance for a parallel RC circuit refers to the ability of the circuit to store electrical charge. It is measured in farads and is determined by the physical characteristics of the components in the circuit, such as the size and distance between the plates of a capacitor.

2. How does capacitance affect a parallel RC circuit?

Capacitance plays a crucial role in a parallel RC circuit as it determines how much charge can be stored in the circuit. It also affects the time constant of the circuit, which is the time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to a certain percentage of its maximum value.

3. What is the formula for calculating capacitance in a parallel RC circuit?

The formula for calculating capacitance in a parallel RC circuit is C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance in farads, Q is the charge stored in the circuit in coulombs, and V is the voltage across the capacitor in volts.

4. How does the value of capacitance impact the behavior of a parallel RC circuit?

The value of capacitance directly affects the time constant of a parallel RC circuit. A larger capacitance means a longer time constant, which results in a slower charging and discharging of the capacitor. This can also affect the overall frequency response of the circuit.

5. Can the capacitance in a parallel RC circuit be changed?

Yes, the capacitance in a parallel RC circuit can be changed by altering the physical characteristics of the components in the circuit, such as the size and distance between the plates of a capacitor. It can also be changed by adding or removing capacitors in the circuit.