Car accelerated by repulsion of two point charges

In summary: I think I need a vector calculus course to understand it.In summary, the problem is that the author does not understand how to solve the problem.
wackyvorlon
At the outset, I want to explain that this is a problem I came up with myself. It's not actually homework, and I suspect it is deeply conceptually flawed in some manner that I have yet to determine.

1. Two point charges of like polarity, ## q_1 = q_2 = 1C ##, start out separated by distance ## x = 1m ##. ##q_2## is attached to a car of mass ##m=1000kg##. When released, the car is accelerated by the force repelling the two charges. Find a function ## v(t) ## which gives the speed at time t.

Homework Equations

$$ F = k \frac{q_1 q_2}{x^2} $$

$$ a = \frac{F}{m} $$

$$ v = a t $$

Potential Energy

$$ U = k \frac{q_1 q_2}{x} $$

Kinetic Energy

$$ K = \frac{1}{2} m v^2 $$

The Attempt at a Solution

This has been giving me fits. I keep ending up in circular definitions. Firstly, I approach from the perspective of energy, ## U_0 = K_f ##. The end result of that was that the final speed should be ## 3.16*10^3 \frac{m}{s} ##.

## F ## becomes: $$ F = \frac{k}{x^2} $$

Inserting into Newton's second law I get:

$$ a = \frac{k}{m x^2} $$Then:

$$ v = \frac{k}{m x^2} t $$

You'll notice my problem. Through some means, I have to express ## x ## in terms of ## t ##, but every idea I've had relies, ultimately, on ## x ##. Truthfully, to list the approaches I've tried in detail here would require quite some typing. I feel intuitively that there ought to be some way to solve this, but frankly I'm at a loss. Any assistance you can provide in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
wackyvorlon said:
a=k/mx2
Ok.
wackyvorlon said:
v=(k/mx2)t
Not ok.
x is a variable. You cannot integrate x-2 by simply multiplying by t.

You can use energy conservation to find the velocity as a function of position, but getting it as a function of time is quite tricky.

Thanks! Your help is greatly appreciated.

I've been wondering if perhaps this would be a good application of the laplace transform?

What is the concept behind a car accelerated by repulsion of two point charges?

The concept behind a car accelerated by repulsion of two point charges is based on the principles of electromagnetism. When two point charges with opposite charges are placed near each other, they experience a repulsive force. This force can be harnessed to propel a car forward.

How does the repulsion of two point charges accelerate a car?

When the two point charges are placed on the car, they generate a strong electric field between them. This electric field interacts with the surrounding air molecules, creating a force that pushes the car forward.

What are the advantages of using repulsion of two point charges to power a car?

Using repulsion of two point charges to power a car has several advantages. It is a clean and sustainable source of energy, as it does not produce any harmful emissions. It also does not require any fossil fuels, making it cost-effective and environmentally friendly.

What are the limitations of using repulsion of two point charges to accelerate a car?

One of the main limitations of using repulsion of two point charges to accelerate a car is the need for a constant source of electricity to power the charges. This can be challenging to achieve in practice and may limit the distance the car can travel. Additionally, the technology is still in its early stages and may not be as efficient as traditional car engines.

Can the repulsion of two point charges be used to accelerate other vehicles besides cars?

Yes, the repulsion of two point charges can be used to accelerate other vehicles besides cars. It can be applied to any vehicle that requires a continuous and sustained source of energy, such as trains or airplanes. However, the technology may need to be adapted to suit the specific requirements of each vehicle.