Center of Mass in a system of cylinders

In summary, the student attempted to solve the problem using coordinates x,y,z, but did not get a right solution. They calculated the volume of the collar and the bar correctly, but what I don't understand is why they subtracted a mass of 0.2831 kg from the masses of the collar and the bar. Also, the x values in the equation for the c.o.m. are not the heights of the collar or the bar; the x-values are the x locations of the c.o.m. for each item from the reference. Since the collar and the bar are symmetrical w.r.t. the y and z axes, your values for the c.o.m
noffya

Homework Statement

A collar brass 50 mm length is mounted on an aluminum bar 80 mm in length (density of brass 8470 kg / m 3 density of aluminum 2800 kg / m 3 ). Find the height to which is the center of mass of the composite body.

vssY5I9kHdQ.jpg

Homework Equations

COM= m1*x1+m2x2/m1+m2

The Attempt at a Solution

ZHMt7UdftMU.jpg

I tried to solve the problem using the coordinates x,y,z, however didn't get a right solution.
The solution must be equal 27.6 mm
Please help with the equations.
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can treat this as a 1d problem. Work out the centre of mass of the two objects. You can then work out the centre of mass of the two points by using the mass of the two objects to weight them.

If your picture was a little smaller, you couldn't tell what you were doing.

It looks like you calculated the volume of the collar and the bar correctly. What I don't understand is why you have subtracted a mass of 0.2831 kg from the masses of the collar and the bar.

Also, the x values in the equation for the c.o.m. are not the heights of the collar or the bar; the x-values are the x locations of the c.o.m. for each item from the reference.

Since the collar and the bar are symmetrical w.r.t. the y and z axes, your values for the c.o.m. w.r.t. these axes are incorrect. The c.o.m. for a uniformly distributed mass will lie on any axes of symmetry which the mass may have.

noffya said:

Homework Statement

A collar brass 50 mm length is mounted on an aluminum bar 80 mm in length (density of brass 8470 kg / m 3 density of aluminum 2800 kg / m 3 ). Find the height to which is the center of mass of the composite body.

vssY5I9kHdQ.jpg

Homework Equations

COM= m1*x1+m2x2/m1+m2

The Attempt at a Solution

ZHMt7UdftMU.jpg

I tried to solve the problem using the coordinates x,y,z, however didn't get a right solution.
The solution must be equal 27.6 mm
Please help with the equations.
Thanks
Your handwriting is unreadable. Please type out the relationships and results you got for the volumes of the two objects and the masses of the two objects.
Chet

SteamKing said:
If your picture was a little smaller, you couldn't tell what you were doing.

It looks like you calculated the volume of the collar and the bar correctly. What I don't understand is why you have subtracted a mass of 0.2831 kg from the masses of the collar and the bar.

Also, the x values in the equation for the c.o.m. are not the heights of the collar or the bar; the x-values are the x locations of the c.o.m. for each item from the reference.

Since the collar and the bar are symmetrical w.r.t. the y and z axes, your values for the c.o.m. w.r.t. these axes are incorrect. The c.o.m. for a uniformly distributed mass will lie on any axes of symmetry which the mass may have.

thanks a lot!
I subtracted a mass of 0,2831kg considering it a collar hole.
I will try to make calculation based on all the comments. Hopefully that will lead me to the right solution.

noffya said:
thanks a lot!
I subtracted a mass of 0,2831kg considering it a collar hole.
I will try to make calculation based on all the comments. Hopefully that will lead me to the right solution.

There is no need to subtract the mass of the collar hole if you calculated the volume of a cylinder with a hole removed in the first place, which it appears you did.

Related to Center of Mass in a system of cylinders

What is the center of mass in a system of cylinders?

The center of mass in a system of cylinders is the point at which the mass of the system can be considered to be concentrated. It is the average position of all the mass in the system.

How is the center of mass calculated in a system of cylinders?

The center of mass in a system of cylinders can be calculated by taking the weighted average of the individual center of mass of each cylinder, where the weight is the mass of each cylinder.

Why is the center of mass important in a system of cylinders?

The center of mass is important because it helps us understand the overall motion of the system. It can also help us determine the stability of the system and predict how it will behave under external forces.

How does the arrangement of cylinders affect the center of mass?

The arrangement of cylinders can affect the center of mass by changing the distribution of mass in the system. For example, if the cylinders are arranged in a symmetrical manner, the center of mass will be at the center of the system. But if the cylinders are arranged unevenly, the center of mass will shift accordingly.

Can the center of mass be outside the physical boundaries of the system of cylinders?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside the physical boundaries of the system of cylinders. This can happen if one or more cylinders have a significantly larger mass than the others, causing the center of mass to shift towards that cylinder.