Centripetal force direction confusion

tellmesomething
Homework Statement
A motorcyclist wants to drive on the vertical surface of a wooden well of radius 5m. In horizontal plane with speed of 5 root 5 m/s. find the min value of coefficient of friction between tyres and the wall of the well
Relevant Equations
Ah
So far: I an having trouble in the FBD. I drew one completely opposite to one I found on google . in this image NORmal force is pointed away from the cyclist and centripetal force is pointed away from the centre . mine was the complete opposite am i wrong?
Screenshot_2023-10-17-18-37-40-140_com.android.chrome.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
tellmesomething said:
I drew one
Don't see it !?

tellmesomething said:
in this image NORmal force is pointed away from the cyclist
In your image or in the image that you did post ?

[edit] ah, you elaborated :​
tellmesomething said:
mine was the complete opposite​
Doesn't seem right. Whereas
1697550927885.png
is correct.​
Do post your picture, to avoid confusion and ambiguity...​

Anyway, the
1697550465230.png
isn't a real force on the cyclist.

I agree with your assessment.

BvU said:
Don't see it !?In your image or in the image that you did post ?

[edit] ah, you elaborated :​
Doesn't seem right. Whereas View attachment 333711 is correct.​
Do post your picture, to avoid confusion and ambiguity...​

Anyway, the View attachment 333710 isn't a real force on the cyclist.
As far as I know normal force acts away from the body when two bodies are pressed as some sort of repulsion. Therefore the normal force on the cyclist from the well should also be away from the body? Also why is centrifugal force coming into play?

Attachments

• 16975515448217538959996642934908.jpg
    16975515448217538959996642934908.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 36
Chestermiller said:
I agree with your assessment.
So this is correct?

Sorry I am new here im not sure if you replied to my post or to @BvU 's reply.

Attachments

• 16975515448217538959996642934908 (1).jpg
    16975515448217538959996642934908 (1).jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 34
tellmesomething said:
So this is correct?
Yes, the normal force on the cycle is also equal to the net force, which is the mass times the centripetal acceleration.

tellmesomething said:
NORmal force is pointed away from the cyclist
The normal force comes from contact with the wall, so points towards the centre, as in the diagram. Whether it is shown as from the cyclist towards the centre or from the wall towards the cyclist is irrelevant.
tellmesomething said:
centripetal force is pointed away from the centre
The problem is that the text says "centripetal" but the diagram is for centrifugal.

The centripetal force would not be shown in an FBD because it is not an applied force; it is just a component of the resultant of all the applied forces.
In this case the normal force supplies the centripetal force: ##\vec N=\vec F_{centripetal}=-\frac{mv^2\hat r}r##. That's in an inertial frame.

In the frame of reference of the cyclist, there is no acceleration. The centrifugal force is effectively an applied force, so would be in the FBD. It balances a component of the net of all the other forces, namely, the component normal to the velocity: ##\vec N=-\vec F_{centrifugal}=-\frac{mv^2\hat r}r##.

A free body diagram should show the forces acting on one body. I think your googled drawing shows more, leading to confusion.

1697552742217.png
is definitely NOT correct. Such a force would not act on the cylist,

##\ ##

BvU said:
View attachment 333716 is definitely NOT correct. Such a force would not act on the cylist,

##\ ##
Im stumped! Can you elaborate?

haruspex said:
The normal force comes from contact with the wall, so points towards the centre, as in the diagram. Whether it is shown as from the cyclist towards the centre or from the wall towards the cyclist is irrelevant.

The problem is that the text says "centripetal" but the diagram is for centrifugal.

The centripetal force would not be shown in an FBD because it is not an applied force; it is just a component of the resultant of all the applied forces.
In this case the normal force supplies the centripetal force: ##\vec N=\vec F_{centripetal}=-\frac{mv^2\hat r}r##. That's in an inertial frame.

In the frame of reference of the cyclist, there is no acceleration. The centrifugal force is effectively an applied force, so would be in the FBD. It balances a component of the net of all the other forces, namely, the component normal to the velocity: ##\vec N=-\vec F_{centrifugal}=-\frac{mv^2\hat r}r##.
I dont understand why centrifugal force comes into play here, isn't the cyclist moving in that circle because theres a force pulling it towards the centre, which should be centripetal?

tellmesomething said:
I dont understand why centrifugal force comes into play here, isn't the cyclist moving in that circle because theres a force pulling it towards the centre, which should be centripetal?
From the point of view of an observer standing on the ground (inertial frame of reference):
There is velocity and a radius or circular trajectory that the bike is influenced by; therefore, there is centripetal acceleration.

From the point of view of the motorcycle (non-inertial rotating frame of reference):
The tires of the bike are pushing against the wall with centrifugal force, which makes possible the existence of the vertical friction keeping the bike from sliding down the wall.

Comparing magnitude of both forces:
From the first (inertial) point of view: The wall is pushing against the tires of the bike with centripetal force, which induces the horizontal circular trajectory.
That centripetal or normal force coming from the wall is the reaction par (third Newton’s law) that equals in magnitud the centrifugal force experienced from the second (non-inertial) point of view.

Edited confusing post (see posts 14 and 15 below).

Last edited:
tellmesomething said:
It depends on the reference frame. In the present case, there are two main options. You can use the 'ground' frame (or any inertial frame) or you can use the frame of reference of the cyclist.

If you choose an inertial frame then there are three forces acting: the normal force, the frictional force and the gravitational force. The result of these forces is the acceleration.
We can choose to resolve the acceleration into the component parallel to the velocity (the tangential component) and that normal to the velocity (the radial or centripetal component).
In the present case there is no tangential component, so all the acceleration is centripetal.

If you choose the cyclist's reference frame then, by definition, the cyclist is stationary, and certainly not accelerating. So all forces must be in balance. To make this work, in a rotating reference frame we have to add in a virtual (or "fictitious" force) acting outwards from the centre of rotation. This is what is called the centrifugal force.

Likes Chestermiller
Lnewqban said:
There is velocity and a radius or circular trajectory that the bike is influenced by; therefore, there is centripetal acceleration.
The tires of the bike are pushing against the wall with centrifugal force, which induce the vertical friction.
The wall is pushing against the tires of the bike with centripetal force, which is the reaction par that equals in magnitud the centrifugal force, which induce the horizontal circular trajectory.
No! Please do not confuse the OP.

Likes SammyS
Lnewqban said:
The tires of the bike are pushing against the wall with centrifugal force, which induce the vertical friction.
The wall is pushing against the tires of the bike with centripetal force, which is the reaction par that equals in magnitud the centrifugal force, which induce the horizontal circular trajectory.
You're mixing up two different frames here, which is not helpful to the OP.

Your first sentence is true in an inertial frame; but in an inertial frame there is no centrifugal force.

Your second sentence is true in a non-inertial rotating frame in which the cyclist is at rest; in this frame the cyclist has zero acceleration and the "velocity" ##v## is the velocity of the frame, relative to an inertial frame. Also there is no "circular trajectory" of the cyclist in this frame; he's at rest, staying at the same place.

Your third sentence would need to be restated in either frame since it mixes up things from both frames, which doesn't work.

Likes BvU, Doc Al and haruspex
haruspex said:
No! Please do not confuse the OP.
Not trying to do so on purpose!
So far, it seems that none of the previous posts has been able to make the OP less confused.

I have just edited my previous post, please see if you find anything to be still incorrect.
Thank you both, @haruspex and @PeterDonis.

Commenting on edited version of post:

Lnewqban said:
From the point of view of an observer standing on the ground (inertial frame of reference):
Yes.

Lnewqban said:
From the point of view of the motorcycle (non-inertial rotating frame of reference):
The tires of the bike are pushing against the wall with centrifugal force, which makes possible the existence of the vertical friction keeping the bike from sliding down the wall.
Yes.

Lnewqban said:
Comparing magnitude of both forces:
This is a misnomer in the inertial frame, since in that frame there is only one force in the horizontal direction.

Lnewqban said:
From the first (inertial) point of view: The wall is pushing against the tires of the bike with centripetal force, which induces the horizontal circular trajectory.
And there is no other horizontal force in this frame.

Lnewqban said:
That centripetal or normal force coming from the wall is the reaction par (third Newton’s law) that equals in magnitud the centrifugal force experienced from the second (non-inertial) point of view.
Here you are describing things in the non-inertial frame in which the bike is at rest. The fact that the magnitudes of both forces (equal and opposite in direction) in this frame are equal to the magnitude of the centripetal force in the inertial frame is a consequence of how the two frames are chosen.

(Also, I'm not sure there is agreement in the literature about whether "fictitious" forces like centrifugal force can participate in Newton's Third Law pairs. But that's a relatively minor point here: in the non-inertial frame the bike is at rest so the forces on it must all balance. Whether the horizontal balance can be considered a Newton's Third Law pair or not does not affect the fact that the forces are in balance.)

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is centripetal force direction confusion?

Centripetal force direction confusion refers to the common misconception that the force acting on an object moving in a circular path is directed outwards, away from the center of the circle. In reality, the force is directed inwards, towards the center of the circle.

2. Why is it important to understand the direction of centripetal force?

Understanding the direction of centripetal force is important because it helps us accurately predict the motion of objects moving in circular paths. It also allows us to properly design and engineer systems, such as roller coasters and satellites, that rely on centripetal force to function.

3. What causes the confusion about the direction of centripetal force?

The confusion about the direction of centripetal force is often caused by the misconception that objects always move in the direction of the force acting on them. In the case of circular motion, the force is constantly changing direction, but the object continues to move in a circular path due to the centripetal force.

4. How can we visualize the direction of centripetal force?

One way to visualize the direction of centripetal force is to imagine a string attached to a ball, with the other end of the string held by someone spinning the ball in a circular motion. The tension in the string represents the centripetal force, and its direction is always towards the center of the circle.

5. What are some real-life examples of centripetal force in action?

Some examples of centripetal force in action include the motion of planets around the sun, the rotation of a ball on a string, and the movement of cars around a curved track. It is also responsible for the feeling of being pushed outwards when riding a merry-go-round or a roller coaster.