CFD Analysis of Solidification and melting of Ice

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of melting and solidification of ice inside an annular cylinder with a temperature of 80 degrees on the inside wall. The speaker wants to analyze the total time it takes for the ice to melt and plot the temperature variation with time. They mention using ansys design modular and fluent problem setup to create a model and choose transient, melting, and solidification options. However, they encountered an issue with the temperature variation always being a straight line. They also mention using ice as the material and setting the latent heat and solidus/liquidus temperatures to 0 degrees. The speaker then patched the ice temperature at -2 degrees inside the cylinder while the outside wall remained adiabatic. In post-processing
mayanknitjsr
Hello,
I was doing melting and solidification of ice kept inside a annular cylinder. The temperature of inside wall of cylinder is 80 degree.

Now i want to analyse the total time consuming to melt the ice and plot temperature variation with time.
Actually i did analysis but the result i found is absurd and the variation of temperature with time comes straight line always.

Can you please suggest me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Please tell us what you have done so far .

Last edited:
I created a model in ansys design modular. In fluent problem setup, i choose only Transient , melting and solidification option. In post processing The variation of temperature with time comes straight line. Although the contour of liquid fraction and temperature was acceptable.
For plot The temperature Vs time Graph, created a line parallel to X - axis.

Attachments

• Chart.png
    Chart.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 780
  • Problem.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 540
I couldn't open the zip file . Just give us a simple explanation of what you have done .

I choose material (Ice ) from fluent material list and add latent heat & solidus, liquidus temperature ( both 0 degree). Then patch the ice temp -2 degree inside the annular cylinder. inside wall of cylinder is at 80 degree while outside wall is adiabatic. Now start transient analysis.

In post processing, i created a line & plot a graph between temperature variation with time on that line.

You need to properly understand the physics of this problem before doing any more computer analysis .

What do you think is actually happening during the melting ?

What is your conceptual model of the processes involved ?

1. What is CFD analysis and how does it apply to solidification and melting of ice?

CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) analysis is a computer-based simulation technique used to study fluid flow and heat transfer in various systems. In the case of solidification and melting of ice, CFD analysis can be used to model the complex fluid dynamics and heat transfer processes involved, providing detailed insights into the behavior of ice and its surroundings.

2. What are the main factors that affect the solidification and melting of ice?

The solidification and melting of ice are influenced by several factors, including the initial temperature of the ice, the temperature and flow velocity of the surrounding fluid, and the geometry of the system. Other factors such as the presence of impurities and the type of material the ice is in contact with can also affect the process.

3. What are the benefits of using CFD analysis for studying solidification and melting of ice?

CFD analysis provides a detailed and accurate understanding of the fluid dynamics and heat transfer involved in solidification and melting of ice. It also allows for the simulation of different scenarios, making it a cost-effective way to study the process. Additionally, CFD analysis can provide insights that are difficult or impossible to obtain through experimental methods.

4. What are some real-world applications of CFD analysis for solidification and melting of ice?

CFD analysis has many practical applications in the study of solidification and melting of ice. It is commonly used in the design of refrigeration and air conditioning systems, as well as in the optimization of ice production processes. CFD analysis can also be used to study the behavior of ice in natural systems, such as the melting of glaciers and Arctic sea ice.

5. What are the limitations of CFD analysis for studying solidification and melting of ice?

While CFD analysis is a powerful tool for studying the solidification and melting of ice, it also has its limitations. The accuracy of the results is highly dependent on the quality of the input data and the assumptions made in the simulation. Additionally, CFD analysis may not be suitable for systems with highly complex geometries or when the fluid flow is turbulent.