Change of variables in a propagator

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between |p> and |E> in terms of their usage as variables of integration. The relationship between p and E is not linear, which affects the value of the integral. The expression <E'|E> is also discussed, along with the use of the delta function to represent the operator of reversing momentum. The question of how to exclude the second term in order to meet expectations is also raised.
Jacob Nie
Homework Statement
I'm reading Shankar's quantum mechanics. He states that the equation for the propagator ##U(t)## (such that ##|\psi(t)\rangle = U(t)|\psi(0)\rangle##) is
$$ U(t) = \sum_E |E\rangle \langle E|e^{-iEt/\hbar}.$$
Later, when deriving the propagator for a free particle, he changes variable from ##E## to ##p## (for each ##E## there are two possible ##p## with that energy: ##\pm (2mE)^{1/2}##):
$$U(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |p\rangle \langle p | e^{-iE(p)t/\hbar} \ dp.$$
My question: why is it ##dp## and not ##dE?## Shouldn't turning ##\sum_E |E\rangle \langle E|e^{-iEt/\hbar}## into an infinite dimensional version translate to
$$U(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |p\rangle \langle p | e^{-iE(p)t/\hbar}\ dE\ ?$$
Then, to properly change to ##dp,## wouldn't one use the proper substitution method using ##dE = \dfrac{dE}{dp}dp##?
Relevant Equations
##|E\rangle ## are the eigenkets of the relevant Hamiltonian ##H.##

Some other relevant equations: ##|E,+\rangle = |p=(2mE)^{1/2}\rangle## and ##|E,-\rangle = |p = -(2mE)^{1/2}\rangle.##
I'm guessing that there must be some nuance that I do not quite understand in the difference between ##|p\rangle## and ##|E\rangle##?

Like, later in the book even ##dk## is used as a variable of integration, where ##k = p/\hbar.## Surely this has effects on the value of the integral - wouldn't it change it by a numerical factor? In the case of ##p## and ##E,## it would change by more than just a numerical factor, because they're not linearly related.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]U(0)=1=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} |p>dp<p|= \int_0^{\infty} |E>dE<E|[/tex]
seems all right.

[tex]<E'|E>=\delta(E'-E)=\delta(p'^2/2m - p^2/2m)=2m\delta(p'^2-p^2)=m/|p|\{\delta(p'-p)+\delta(p'+p)\}=m/2|p|\{<p'|p>+<-p'|p>+<p'|-p>+<-p'|-p>\}[/tex]

[tex]|E>=\sqrt{\frac{m}{2|p|}}\{|p>+|-p>\}[/tex]

[tex]dE=d(p^2/2m)=\frac{p}{m}dp[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^\infty |E>dE<E|=\int_{0}^{+\infty} \{|p>+|-p>\}dp\{<p|+<-p|\}=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}|p>dp<p|+ \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}|-p>dp<p|[/tex]

The first RHS term is ##1## and the second term is operator of reversing momentum.

How should we exclude the second term to meet the anticipation ? Your advise is appreciated.

Last edited:

1. What is a propagator in the context of change of variables?

A propagator is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the evolution of a particle over time. It is essentially a function that maps the initial state of a particle to its final state after a certain amount of time has passed.

2. Why is a change of variables necessary in a propagator?

A change of variables is necessary in a propagator because it allows us to simplify the mathematical calculations involved in determining the evolution of a particle. By transforming the variables, we can often reduce complex integrals to simpler, more manageable forms.

3. What types of variables can be changed in a propagator?

In general, any type of variable can be changed in a propagator, as long as the transformation is mathematically valid. This could include position, momentum, time, or any other relevant variables.

4. How does a change of variables affect the propagator function?

A change of variables can affect the propagator function in several ways. It may change the form of the function, making it easier to solve or integrate. It may also change the range or domain of the function, which can have implications for the physical interpretation of the results.

5. What are some practical applications of change of variables in a propagator?

Change of variables in a propagator has many practical applications in quantum mechanics, particularly in the study of particle interactions and quantum field theory. It is also commonly used in theoretical physics and engineering to model and analyze complex systems.