Changing Acceleration in an Electromagnetics question

In summary, the problem involves a charge -q falling towards a plane with a positive charge density and then towards a charged sphere. The question is to determine the time it takes for the charge to reach the plane and the center of the sphere. The solution involves using kinematics or energy conservation, but since the force is not constant, the differential equation of motion must be derived and solved. The potential at the point where the charge hits the plane is assumed to be zero.
Kosta1234

Homework Statement

Hello. I'm stuck on some question, will glad if you can give me a little hint.
The problem is this:

upload_2018-8-19_18-0-49.png

A charge -q is located at the distance 's' above a plane, which charged in a positive charge density for area unit σ > 0 .
There is a sphere with the radius R charged on a density for volume p > 0, located 3R under the plane.

the charge -q is "falling" towards the plane, touches it (It tells to ignore the friction) and keep "falling" towards the sphere.

In which time does it touches the plane, and when it reaches the center of the sphere?

Homework Equations

upload_2018-8-19_18-7-36.png

upload_2018-8-19_18-8-46.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Well at first I thought this question is very easy.
To know at how much time the charged "hitted" the plane I can use kinematics or the conservation of energy.

By kinematics method I can find the acceleration using the Electric Field of the plane ( E = σ/(2*eps))
eps * is the electric constant.
and the Electric field of the sphere that is:
0 when r < R
upload_2018-8-19_18-14-51.png
when r > R
* I've a mistake - it's without R - only 4pi*r^2
but then I've noticed that the force that given by F = qE is not constant and therefore the acceleration is not constant.

How can I know when it will hit if the acceleration is a function of the distance to the sphere?thank you.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-19_18-0-49.png
    upload_2018-8-19_18-0-49.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 590
  • upload_2018-8-19_18-7-36.png
    upload_2018-8-19_18-7-36.png
    413 bytes · Views: 275
  • upload_2018-8-19_18-8-46.png
    upload_2018-8-19_18-8-46.png
    838 bytes · Views: 300
  • upload_2018-8-19_18-14-51.png
    upload_2018-8-19_18-14-51.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 268
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kosta1234 said:
How can I know when it will hit if the acceleration is a function of the distance to the sphere?
You will need to derive and solve the differential equation of its motion.
Taking s to be the height at time t, can you write an expression for ##\ddot s##?

You say "falling" but I assume gravity is not to be considered.

Yes. I've meant that is attracting to it.

Well I tried to solve it in two ways:
The first one is using Energy Conservation:

To find the velocity in the moment it hits the plane I used the following equation:
upload_2018-8-20_22-10-59.png

when using Va = 0 and Ua = 0.

and I found Ub using:
upload_2018-8-19_18-8-46-png.png

The Electric field is the summary of the two fields created by the plane and by the sphere.

and I hope I got the answer right.
When I used the 2nd Newton's law and Kinetics I've got the same answer.

Hope I got this right, the only problem is wutth Ua = 0. Can I say that the potential in this point is zero?

thank you.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-20_22-10-59.png
    upload_2018-8-20_22-10-59.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 547
  • upload_2018-8-19_18-8-46-png.png
    upload_2018-8-19_18-8-46-png.png
    838 bytes · Views: 521
Kosta1234 said:
Yes. I've meant that is attracting to it.

Well I tried to solve it in two ways:
The first one is using Energy Conservation:

To find the velocity in the moment it hits the plane I used the following equation:
View attachment 229616
when using Va = 0 and Ua = 0.

and I found Ub using: View attachment 229617

The Electric field is the summary of the two fields created by the plane and by the sphere.

and I hope I got the answer right.
When I used the 2nd Newton's law and Kinetics I've got the same answer.

Hope I got this right, the only problem is wutth Ua = 0. Can I say that the potential in this point is zero?

thank you.
I do not see how the methods you describe gave you the time taken.

1. How does changing acceleration affect electromagnetics?

The acceleration of an object can affect its motion and therefore the electromagnetic forces acting on it. For example, a change in acceleration can lead to a change in the strength or direction of an electromagnetic field.

2. Can changing acceleration produce an electromagnetic field?

Yes, changing acceleration of an electrically charged object can produce an electromagnetic field. This is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for many technologies such as generators and motors.

3. What is the relationship between acceleration and electromagnetic waves?

Acceleration of an electrically charged particle can produce electromagnetic waves, as the changing motion of the particle creates variations in the electric and magnetic fields. This is known as accelerated motion radiation.

4. How can changing acceleration affect the strength of an electromagnetic field?

Changing acceleration can directly affect the strength of an electromagnetic field. This is because an increase in acceleration can result in a stronger electromagnetic force acting on the object, leading to a stronger field.

5. Can changing acceleration affect the speed of an electromagnetic wave?

Yes, changing acceleration can affect the speed of an electromagnetic wave. This is because the speed of an electromagnetic wave is directly related to the electric and magnetic fields, which can be influenced by changes in acceleration.