Charged particle in a magnetic field

In summary, the homework statement talks about finding the center of a circular path followed by a particle. The attempt at a solution says that the velocity of the particle at any time is v=vxi+vyj, and the net force is F= (2qvyB)i+ (2qvxB)j. The magnitude of the net acceleration is (2qvB)/m. The particle has an initial velocity as well as acceleration along an angle 45° with +x direction which means it moves along the straight line x=y. The net force is F= (2qvyB)i- (2qvxB)j and the center of the circle is [ (mv)/(2√
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

problem3.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Velocity of particle at any time t is

v = vxi + vyj

Net Force on the particle F = (2qvyB)i + (2qvxB)j

Net acceleration of the particle = F/m

Magnitude of net acceleration = (2qvB)/m

Particle has an initial velocity as well as acceleration along an angle 45° with +x direction which means it moves along the straight line x = y .

I wonder why the question talks about finding the center of the circular path followed by the particle .

I might be making mistake .

Attachments

• problem3.jpg
    problem3.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 661
Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculation of the net force is wrong. Do the cross product carefully.

Likes Jahnavi
Sorry .

Net Force on the particle F = (2qvyB)i -(2qvxB)j

If I solve the two eq of motion in x and y directions , I end up with vx2 + vy2 =v2 .

I might be making mistake again .

What is the path with this correct force?

How do I do that ? I solved the two eqs of motion and ended up with the above result .

Last edited:
There are a couple of ways of doing this depending on the level at which you are working. Do you know how to solve a differential equation of motion? For example, did you solve the differential equation for a simple harmonic oscillator, or for motion with constant acceleration?

mdvx/dt = 2qvyB

mdvy/dt = -2qvxB

Solving them gives vx2 + vy2 = v2 which means speed of the particle is constant .

How do I find the path ?

How did you solve those two differential equations?

Dividing first eq by second and integrating both sides .

Limits of vx is v/√2 to vx

Limits of vy is v/√2 to vy

∫vxdvx = -∫vydvy

Try solving them like this:
1. Differentiate each equation with respect to t once more. The first equation will then have dvy/dt in it. For that substitute from the first equation. This will give you a familiar equation in vx, without the vy in it. Similalry get an equation for vy alone. This technique will "decouple" the equations for the two variables vx and vy. You can then solve each separately, given the initial conditions.

Likes Jahnavi
Sorry. There was a typo. The third sentence in item 1 should have been, "For that substitute from the second equation."

vx = vsin(ωt+π/4) , ω=2qB/m

vy = -vsin(ωt-π/4)

Is that correct ?

Do these agree with your initial conditions?

Likes Jahnavi
Yes .

Now, since vx = dx/dt, and vy = dy/dt, you have two 1st order differential equations to solve, again with given initial conditions. Go ahead and solve them.

Likes Jahnavi
Solving further gives ,

x = v/(√2ω) - (v/ω)cos(ωt+π/4)

y= -v/(√2ω) + (v/ω)cos(ωt-π/4)

Well, now you have x and y as functions of time, so you have the actual path. Show that it is a circle, and you will also get the radius.

Likes Jahnavi
Squaring and adding is quite messy .

It looks difficult to manipulate terms . There are cos2(A+B) , cos2(A-B) terms .

Algebra looks far more difficult , rather terrible :)

Try taking the constant terms to the left hand side and then square and add.

Likes Jahnavi
The trick worked :smile:

Center is [ (mv)/(2√2qB) , (-mv)/(2√2qB) , 0 ]

Is that correct ?

Certainly looks like that, unless something went wrong in the arithmetic. You can check that for yourself. You should draw a diagram, and make sure that the circle looks correct. For example, when you projected the particle from the origin, in which direction did it start? What was the dorection of the force? Which way would the force bend the path of the particle? Form that you can predict which way the circle would look, and where you can expect the center. That is, are you expecting the circle to bend upwards, or downwards? Does that agree with your final answer? All such questions will become clear if you draw the diagram and the initial velocity and force vectors.

Good luck!

Likes Jahnavi
Thank you so much :)

What is a charged particle in a magnetic field?

A charged particle in a magnetic field refers to a particle that has an electric charge and is also subjected to a magnetic field.

What is the behavior of a charged particle in a magnetic field?

A charged particle in a magnetic field will experience a force known as the Lorentz force, which causes it to move in a circular path around the magnetic field lines.

What factors affect the motion of a charged particle in a magnetic field?

The motion of a charged particle in a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the particle, and the charge of the particle.

What is the role of a charged particle in a magnetic field in everyday life?

Charged particles in magnetic fields play a crucial role in many modern technologies, such as electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators.

How do scientists study charged particles in magnetic fields?

Scientists study charged particles in magnetic fields through experiments and simulations using specialized equipment, such as particle accelerators and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.