ChemE. Degree of Freedom analysis & recycled stream

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem that requires a degree of freedom analysis for a chemical process. The desired production rate of DEA is given, as well as the air composition and conversion rate of ethylene in the first reaction. The student mentions treating all process units as one system and includes a recycled stream in the analysis to match the table in the solution manual. They question whether this was the correct approach and receive confirmation from another user.
worryingchem

Homework Statement

The problem want me to do a degree of freedom analysis on the following process using the information provided.
There are two chemical rx in the process.
The desired production rate of DEA (D) is 105,000 kg/h.
The air composition is 21% mol% O2 and 79 mol% N2[/SUB.
25% of ethylene (E) is converted in the first reaction.

dofprob.jpg

Homework Equations

DOF = # of independent variables - # of independent equation

The Attempt at a Solution

When doing the problem, I put all the process units into one system and drew an overall diagram below.
For my DOF analysis of the bottom system to match the table in the top, I had to include the recycled stream, #10. Otherwise, I would be one stream variable short and get a DOF of -1. So my question is was it right to include the recycled stream when putting all the process units into one system?

For the bottom system, I had 9 independent variables (7 stream variables + 2 chemical rx) and 9 independent equations (1 flow, 1 stream composition, 1 system performance, and 6 material balance equations).
oneSys.jpg

Hello WC,

Reason I didn't reply when having read your post is that I don't see a clear question: you have a summary of the DOF analysis in front of you (Is that the solutions manual ?)

Or was the question to do an analysis of the system as a whole (as a kind of black box) ? The recycle flow is an internal degree of freedom, and it has to be dealt with, one way or another (Which is relevant: equation solvers such as Aspen Custom Modeller can have trouble with this type of flowsheets if you're not careful).

I'd say you were right in treating this recycle as shown in your over-all diagram.

Ah, yes, thank you BvU, the picture is indeed the solution manual when treating each process unit as its own system. But I wanted to treat all the process units as one system. I should still get the same answer for my DOF analysis. However, unless, I draw my whole system like the bottom diagram of post 1, I won't be able to get the right DOF. So I was wondering if I was right to add the recycle stream to the diagram.

Thank you for clarifying that BvU.

1. What is ChemE Degree of Freedom analysis?

ChemE Degree of Freedom analysis is a method used in chemical engineering to determine the number of independent variables that can be changed in a system without affecting the overall equilibrium. It helps in understanding the constraints and limitations of a system and is crucial in designing and optimizing chemical processes.

2. How is Degree of Freedom analysis used in chemical engineering?

Degree of Freedom analysis is used to determine the number of independent variables that need to be controlled in order to achieve a certain desired outcome in a chemical process. It helps in identifying the key variables that affect the process and in developing strategies to optimize and improve the process.

3. What is a recycled stream in chemical engineering?

A recycled stream in chemical engineering is a stream of material that is continuously reused in a process. This is often done to improve the efficiency of the process by reducing waste and conserving resources. The composition of the recycled stream is carefully controlled to maintain the desired conditions in the process.

4. How is recycled stream analysis used in chemical engineering?

Recycled stream analysis is used to determine the amount and composition of recycled streams in a process. This helps in understanding the impact of recycling on the overall process and in optimizing the composition of the recycled stream to achieve the desired outcome. It is also useful in identifying opportunities for process improvements and cost savings.

5. What are the benefits of using ChemE Degree of Freedom analysis and recycled stream analysis?

ChemE Degree of Freedom analysis and recycled stream analysis are valuable tools in chemical engineering as they help in understanding and optimizing chemical processes. They can improve efficiency, reduce waste, and save costs in a process. They also aid in troubleshooting and identifying potential issues in a process, leading to better control and higher quality products.