Choosing a University for a Masters in Nuclear Engineering

In summary, the conversation revolves around a Mechanical Engineering student in Australia who has a strong interest in nuclear power and reactor design. They have been working for a gas/energy startup and are now looking to pursue a Masters in Nuclear Engineering. However, the options in Australia are limited and they are considering studying overseas in North America. The student is seeking advice on how to shortlist universities and determine their specific area of interest within nuclear engineering, particularly in Gen-IV reactors.
Download
I'm a Mechanical Engineering student here in Australia, having lived here my entire life. I'm finishing up my last topic in second year over the summer/Christmas holidays and have spent the last 12 months working for a gas/energy startup (are we still a startup now we're listed?) as a junior engineering/financial analyst and general researcher.

My interest into things nuclear started five or six years ago from the weapons side of thing. I enjoyed reading about other peoples thoughts on what secrets lie "on the other side of the fence" and liked forming my own conclusions and deductions from the small trickle of information available. This naturally lead to nuclear physics and then to nuclear power reactors. I confess I started from the "nuclear power is bad" camp and eventually formed a pro-nuclear stance based on the evidence presented.

Having to think about what I would actually like to do when I finished my degree I naturally got an interest in nuclear power reactor design and having read all about the varied possibilities of Gen IV reactors I'm now quite sure I want to go into this industry.

The problem is I live in Australia. We only have one university offering a masters of nuclear engineering who started the program up two or three years ago. It also doesn't look very thorough; there are only three topics in the course (out of thirteen) that actually deal with reactors along with one topic of radiation safety, one of uranium mining and five of electrical and electrical distribution systems, plus a project.

On the other hand, randomly naming a US university and googling it (University of Florida in this case) gets me a postgrad course with 40 or so possible topics of which more than half have to do with reactor physics and engineering.

Given this it seems I have no choice but to study overseas. I don't mind - it will give me a chance to experience a new country. As for choosing a region I'm pretty firmly set on North America. They have to speak English which rules out most of Europe while my perception of the matter is that the UK has stagnated when it comes to nuclear power so that too I think is out.

So my question is, how would I go about short-listing universities in which to study at? What do people recommend for universities offering a nuclear engineering masters?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
One should determine in what area of nuclear engineering one has interest.

There are many good schools in the US, Canada and UK/ Europe. One can read scientific journals (at the library, if not online) and university program websites to get an idea of the kind of research and academic work available.

Astronuc said:
One should determine in what area of nuclear engineering one has interest.

There are many good schools in the US, Canada and UK/ Europe. One can read scientific journals (at the library, if not online) and university program websites to get an idea of the kind of research and academic work available.

Fission reactor design was what I wanted to study.

Download said:
Fission reactor design was what I wanted to study.
Is one interested in light water reactors, e.g., PWR or BWR, or in the more advanced concepts, e.g., Gen-IV reactors?

In what particular aspect of fission reactor design is one interested? Neutronics? Thermal hydraulics? Materials? Structural design and analysis?

Gen 4. I'm not really sure what beyond that. There are a lot of possibilities.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a university for a Masters in Nuclear Engineering?

When choosing a university for a Masters in Nuclear Engineering, you should consider the program's curriculum, faculty expertise, research opportunities, industry connections, and job placement rates. It's also important to consider the location and cost of the program, as well as the university's overall reputation and accreditation.

2. Are there any specific universities known for their strong nuclear engineering programs?

Yes, there are several universities that have well-respected nuclear engineering programs, including Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of Michigan, Georgia Institute of Technology, University of California-Berkeley, and Texas A&M University. It's important to research each program and determine which one aligns best with your academic and career goals.

3. Can I specialize in a particular area within nuclear engineering during my Masters program?

Yes, many universities offer specializations or concentrations within their Masters in Nuclear Engineering program. Some common specializations include nuclear materials, nuclear power systems, radiation detection and measurement, and nuclear security. It's important to research the options available at each university to find the best fit for your interests and career goals.

4. What is the typical length of a Masters program in nuclear engineering?

The length of a Masters program in nuclear engineering can vary depending on the university and whether you are attending full-time or part-time. Generally, full-time students can complete the program in 1-2 years, while part-time students may take 2-3 years. It's important to consider your personal circumstances and academic goals when choosing a program length.

5. Are there any specific prerequisites or requirements for a Masters in Nuclear Engineering program?

Yes, most universities will require applicants to have a Bachelor's degree in a related field, such as engineering, physics, or mathematics. Some programs may also have specific course prerequisites, such as calculus, physics, and chemistry. It's important to check the requirements for each program you are interested in and make sure you meet them before applying.