Choosing Between Options: Reasons & Analysis

In summary, the action-reaction pair for a space station containing astronauts in orbit around the Earth is the weight of the space station and the gravitational force of the Earth on the space station. This is because according to Newton's third law, these two forces must be equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. The gravitational force of the space station on the Earth is the third-law pair to the gravitational force of the Earth on the space station.
Andrei0408
Poster has been reminded to show their work on schoolwork problems
Homework Statement
Which of the following is an action-reaction pair for a space station containing astronauts in orbit about
the earth?
A. the weight of the space station and the centripetal force on the space station
B. the weight of the astronauts and the centripetal force on the space station
C. the weight of the space station and the gravitational force of the space station on the earth
D. the weight of the astronauts and the gravitational force of the space station on the astronauts
Relevant Equations
F12 = -F21
Could you tell me which one of these, but also why because I want to understand. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Andrei0408 said:
Homework Statement:: Which of the following is an action-reaction pair for a space station containing astronauts in orbit about
the earth?
A. the weight of the space station and the centripetal force on the space station
B. the weight of the astronauts and the centripetal force on the space station
C. the weight of the space station and the gravitational force of the space station on the earth
D. the weight of the astronauts and the gravitational force of the space station on the astronauts
Relevant Equations:: F12 = -F21

Could you tell me which one of these, but also why because I want to understand. Thank you!
You must at least analyse the possible answers and give your ideas.

The two forces in a ##\text{N}\text{III}## force pair i) act on two different bodies, ii) are of the 'same type' iii) satisfy ##\vec{F}_{21} = - \vec{F}_{12}##.

Likes Andrei0408
PeroK said:
You must at least analyse the possible answers and give your ideas.
I don't think it's either A or B since the centripetal force should act towards the centre of the orbit, and not on the space station. My guess would be C) but still I'm not fully convinced and I need some explanations

Andrei0408 said:
I don't think it's either A or B since the centripetal force should act towards the centre of the orbit, and not on the space station. My guess would be C) but still I'm not fully convinced and I need some explanations
What doubts do you have about c)?

PeroK said:
What doubts do you have about c)?
Well, shouldn't the answer be stated as the gravitational force of the Earth, not the gravitational force of the space station on the Earth?

Andrei0408 said:
Well, shouldn't the answer be stated as the gravitational force of the Earth, not the gravitational force of the space station on the Earth?

The gravitational force of the Earth, on what?

etotheipi said:
The gravitational force of the Earth, on what?
On the space station

Andrei0408 said:
On the space station

And if the Earth exerts a gravitational force on the station, the space station exerts...

Likes PeroK
Andrei0408 said:
The space station exerts a gravitational force on the Earth, does it not? And that must be one of a third-law pair. The other force being ...?

Last edited:
Likes Andrei0408
PeroK said:
The space station exerts a gravitational force on the Earth, does it not? And that must be one of a third-law pair. The other force in the being ...?
Nevermind, yes I was thinking about gravitational acceleration, that's why it wouldn't make sense

Andrei0408 said:
Nevermind, yes I was thinking about gravitational acceleration, that's why it wouldn't make sense

Well, if you ignore the two astronauts, then you arrive at the two body problem. This is a little more complicated than the common assumption that the Earth constitutes an inertial frame. In particular, you need to be careful about how you define your coordinates (origin at the centre of mass, perhaps?).

But, Newton ##\text{III}## always holds, all the time, in classical mechanics!

etotheipi said:
Well, if you ignore the two astronauts, then you arrive at the two body problem. This is a little more complicated than the common assumption that the Earth constitutes an inertial frame. In particular, you need to be careful about how you define your coordinates (origin at the centre of mass, perhaps?).

But, Newton ##\text{III}## always holds, all the time, in classical mechanics!
Yes, thank you for taking the time to help me

1. What is the importance of analyzing options before making a decision?

Analyzing options is crucial because it allows you to consider all possible outcomes and make an informed decision. It helps you understand the potential risks and benefits of each option, and choose the one that aligns with your goals and priorities.

2. How do I know which option is the best for me?

The best option for you will depend on your individual needs and circumstances. It is important to thoroughly research and analyze each option, and consider your personal values and goals. You can also seek advice from trusted individuals or experts in the field.

3. What are some common factors to consider when choosing between options?

Some common factors to consider include the potential risks and benefits of each option, the resources and time required, the potential impact on your personal and professional life, and your personal values and goals. It is also important to consider the long-term consequences of each option.

4. How can I ensure that I am making an unbiased decision?

To make an unbiased decision, it is important to gather and analyze all relevant information objectively. Avoid making decisions based on emotions or personal biases. Seek input from others and consider their perspectives. You can also use decision-making tools such as cost-benefit analysis or SWOT analysis to help you make an objective decision.

5. What if I am still unsure after analyzing my options?

If you are still unsure after analyzing your options, it may be helpful to take some time to reflect on your priorities and values. You can also seek advice from trusted individuals or experts in the field. If possible, you can also test out each option on a smaller scale before making a final decision.