Circuit with 2 resistors, inductor, and capacitor

In summary, the author is having difficulty understanding how to solve for the damping factor in a circuit, and has found the poles of the system. However, he is still unable to find zeta. He suggests using Laplace transforms to solve the differential equation for the damped harmonic oscillator and compare what you get there with G(s). Hopefully, by doing so, he will be able to solve for \zeta.
Vapen

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/228/helps.png

I have trouble completing (b), as I do not know how to solve for the damping factor in this circuit, and hence cannot characterize this system. I have the poles of the system, where s ~= -3048.059 and s~= -8201.941. I also have the transfer function, which I used to find the poles.

Homework Equations

I found the transfer function to be:

[tex]G(s) = \frac{1}{CLs^2 + \frac{L+R^2C}{R}s + 2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't know how to solve for zeta.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you use Laplace transforms to solve the differential equation for the damped harmonic oscillator and compare what you get there with G(s). Hopefully, you can then see how to solve for [itex]\zeta[/itex].

I don't understand how I would apply that.

[tex]\ddot{x} + 2 \zeta \omega_0 \dot{x} + \omega_0^2 x = 0[/tex]

After Laplace transform (assuming initial conditions are zero):

[tex]X(s)s^2 + 2\zeta\omega_0X(s)s + \omega_0^2X(s)[/tex]

Are you suggesting to equate this to the denominator? Your reply is ambiguous, I can't relate this to the original transfer function unless I use the reciprocal of it or some other method.

You actually want to look at the forced damped harmonic oscillator.

[tex]
\ddot{x} + 2 \zeta \omega_0 \dot{x} + \omega_0^2 x = f(t)
[/tex]

Depending on what f(t) is, you get a different response x(t) from the system. In the s-domain, you'll find X(s)=H(s)F(s) for some function H(s), which is what I'm suggesting you find. With the circuit, ei plays the role of the forcing function, and the response of the system is eo. In the s-domain, you have Eo(s) = G(s)Ei(s).

I understand that part, but I still don't know what you mean by applying that second order differential equation to this. Are you implying that I need to know the actual values for the forcing function to characterize this circuit?

No. I'm saying compare H(s) to G(s). The transfer function G(s) describes a forced damped harmonic oscillator, but it's not written in terms of the quantities [itex]\omega_0[/itex] and [itex]\zeta[/itex] that characterize the oscillator. By comparing H(s) and G(s), you can identify how the coefficients in G(s) relate to those quantities.

Hmm ok, you edited the previous post.

H(s) = G(s)
Then:
[tex]\frac{X(s)}{F(s)} = \frac{1}{CLs^2 + \frac{L+R^2C}{R}s + 2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{s^2 + 2\zeta\omega_0s + \omega_0^2}{F(s)} = \frac{1}{CLs^2 + \frac{L+R^2C}{R}s + 2}[/tex]

But I'm left with the F(s) which I cannot do anything with?

I found the poles to both be unique, real roots, and thus characterized the system as overdamped. I would still like to find zeta regardless, though.

I didn't say set them equal to each other, and X(s) isn't equal to that polynomial.

First, take the Laplace transform of

[tex]\ddot{x} + 2 \zeta \omega_0 \dot{x} + \omega_0^2 x = f(t)[/tex]

to find the oscillator's transfer function, H(s)=X(s)/F(s).

Sorry, I typed that wrong.

[tex]X(s)s^2 + 2\zeta\omega_0X(s)s + \omega_0^2X(s)=F(s)[/tex]
[tex]H(S) = \frac{X(S)}{F(S)} = \frac{1}{s^2 + 2\zeta\omega_0s + \omega_0^2}[/tex]

Now, if you pull a factor of 1/LC out front, you have

[tex]G(s) = \frac{1}{LC} \left[\frac{1}{s^2+(L/R+RC)s+2/LC}\right][/tex]

The factor of 1/LC in front is just a constant; it only affects the overall gain of the circuit. Comparing what's in the square bracket and what you found for H(s), you should be able to identify what [itex]\omega_0^2[/itex] and [itex]2\zeta\omega_0[/itex] are equal to and then solve for [itex]\zeta[/itex].

Okay, that's initially what I thought I had to do when I read this question. The constant in the denominator (the 2) was the part that I was confused about. I realize now that the numerator, when constant, will have no effect on the denominator when finding a value for [itex]\omega_0[/itex]. Thanks for your help.

I believe your s term is wrong, it seems that it should be the reciprocal of that.

[tex]\frac{1}{RC} + \frac{R}{L}[/tex]

Just in case anybody else sees this post.

I just started from what you had posted for G(s) earlier, assuming you had gotten it right, but yes, you're right otherwise the units don't work out correctly.

Related to Circuit with 2 resistors, inductor, and capacitor

1. How do the resistors, inductor, and capacitor affect the circuit's behavior?

The resistors, inductor, and capacitor all play important roles in controlling the flow of electrical current through the circuit. Resistors limit the amount of current that can pass through, while the inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field and can resist changes in current. The capacitor, on the other hand, stores energy in the form of an electric field and can act as a temporary source of current when needed. Together, these components work to regulate the flow of current and voltage in the circuit.

2. What is the purpose of having multiple resistors in the circuit?

The resistors in a circuit with an inductor and capacitor work together to create a more complex and dynamic electrical system. By having multiple resistors, the circuit can be designed to have specific levels of resistance and control the flow of current in different parts of the circuit. This can be useful for creating different effects and functions, such as filtering out certain frequencies or creating voltage dividers.

3. How does the inductor affect the circuit's behavior compared to a circuit without an inductor?

The inductor introduces a new element of energy storage and can greatly impact the behavior of a circuit. In a circuit without an inductor, changes in current are instantaneous. However, in a circuit with an inductor, there is a delay in the change of current due to the inductor's energy storage. This can lead to interesting effects, such as oscillation and resonance, and can be used for various purposes in electrical systems.

4. What is the relationship between the inductance of the inductor and the capacitance of the capacitor?

The inductance of the inductor and the capacitance of the capacitor are inversely related. This means that as the inductance increases, the capacitance decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is important in creating a balanced and stable circuit, as changes in one component can affect the behavior of the other. It is also key in creating resonant circuits, where the inductance and capacitance are tuned to specific frequencies for specific purposes.

5. Can the circuit with 2 resistors, inductor, and capacitor be used for practical applications?

Yes, this type of circuit can be used for a variety of practical applications. One common use is in power supplies, where the inductor and capacitor work together to smooth out the alternating current from a power source. It can also be used in filter circuits, where the combination of resistors, inductors, and capacitors can be used to remove unwanted frequencies from a signal. Additionally, this type of circuit is often used in radio frequency (RF) circuits for tuning and amplification purposes.