Circuits Superposition Problem

In summary, the person is seeking help with a problem involving the use of the superposition theorem to solve for the voltage drop across a 4-ohm resistor in a circuit with a 20V source. They have provided a pdf of their attempts, and are questioning a mistake they made when adding up potential drops across resistors. Another person has pointed out that all the resistors are not in series and that the current from the fourth figure is split between two resistors. They suggest solving for the current through the 12 ohm resistor, which will lead to the current through the 4 ohm resistor, the desired value.
dbakg00

Homework Statement

I have attached a pdf of the problem I am working on. The top circuit is the original problem; I am supposed to solve for the voltage drop across the 4-ohm resistor (top right). I HAVE to use the superposition theorem to solve this problem. The 4 circuits drawn below the top circuit are where I eliminated the current source in an attempt to solve for the currents/voltages on each resistor. Can someone please check my work thus far and let me know where I made a mistake? I think there is a mistake because when I take I*R fr each resistor and add them up, I get 28V which doesn't equal my 20V source. Thanks in advance for your help!

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

See attached pdf.

Attachments

• circuit problem.pdf
    408.6 KB · Views: 211
Physics news on Phys.org
Your result for the potential drop across the 4Ω resistor due to the 20V source looks fine. The currents that you've labeled also look okay. So my question would be, what sum of potential drops across resistors did you make that added to 28V? Note that all the resistors are not in series...

So far, so good - but keep in mind thast the current from your 4th figure is split between the 6 and the 12 ohm resistors and you really want the current thru the 12 ohm which is the current thru the 4 ohm which is what you're really after.

So now do the current source!

Related to Circuits Superposition Problem

1. What is the Circuits Superposition Problem?

The Circuits Superposition Problem is a method used to analyze complex electrical circuits by breaking them down into simpler circuits and solving them separately. It is based on the principle that the total voltage or current in a circuit is equal to the sum of the individual voltages or currents caused by each source.

2. How does the Circuits Superposition Problem work?

The Circuits Superposition Problem involves the use of superposition theorem, which states that in a linear circuit with multiple sources, the total voltage or current at any point is equal to the algebraic sum of the individual voltages or currents caused by each source, with all other sources turned off.

3. When is the Circuits Superposition Problem used?

The Circuits Superposition Problem is typically used when analyzing circuits with multiple sources, such as in AC/DC circuits, to determine the voltage or current at a specific point. It is also useful when dealing with circuits with non-linear elements, as it allows for the analysis of each source separately.

4. What are the limitations of the Circuits Superposition Problem?

The Circuits Superposition Problem is only applicable to linear circuits, which means it cannot be used when dealing with circuits with non-linear elements such as diodes or transistors. Additionally, it can only be used to analyze circuits with two or more sources, and the sources must be independent of each other.

5. How is the Circuits Superposition Problem solved?

The Circuits Superposition Problem is solved by analyzing each source separately and then adding the individual voltage or current values together to find the total voltage or current at the desired point. This can be done using techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law.