Please help me with this circuit question using the superposition theorem

In summary, the current through the 30 ohm resistor and the 8 ohm resistor will be the same, and the current through the 20 ohm resistor will be the same as the current through the 12 ohm resistor.
snehil31
Homework Statement
In the network shown in the figure, the two current sources provide I' and I" where I' + I" = I. Use superposition to obtain these currents.
Relevant Equations
Nodal analysis or Mesh analysis
I have tried many times to solve this network, but can't understand how to get current in each resistors by superposition theorem. Please help me to solve and find currents in each 3 resistors with solution.

Note:- The figure is attached below.
Screenshot 2021-02-20 171134.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Rules Violation: Providing a complete solution to another's homework is not permitted.
I haven't done circuit theory in years, but here goes nothing lol.

Just as a review, when you're using superposition theorem, you only "turn on" one source on at a time. In this case, you can split this circuit up into two cases:

5A Current Source = Let's call this Case #1.

25A Current Source = Let's call this Case #2Case #1: Only turn on "5A current source": Which means you turn off the 25A current source. So, the 25A current source will be an "open".

This means, you will be left with the 5A Current source in parallel with the 12 ohm resistor in parallel with the "38 ohm resistor"

So for this case, the 30 ohm resistor and the 8 ohm resistor have the same current because they are in series.

You can use the current divider equation in this case and find the current for the "38 ohm" ohm resistor, which then gives you the current for the 8 ohm resistor. This current can be called I'
I got 1.2 A for this current value.For Case #2: Only 25A current source on:

So for this case, the 5A current source is turned off. Which means the 5A current source becomes an "open".

This means that the 25A current source is now in parallel with the 30 ohm resistor and in parallel with the "20 ohm resistor" (i.e. because now the 8 ohm resistor is in series with the 12 ohm resistor).

The current through the 8 ohm resistor is the same as the current through the 12 ohm resistor, since they are in series.

You should be able to use current division to find the current through the "20 ohm resistor", which will give you the current through the 8 ohm resistor. This current value will be called I". I got 15A for this current value.

Your total "I" current value will be = I' + I"

My total I = I' + I" = 15A + 1.2A = 16.2A

Let me know what the final solution is to double check this work.

Last edited:
Likes snehil31
Thanks a lot @ammarb32 for the correct solution.
As per book the answers are this one: 1.2A, 15.0A & 16.2A. :smile:😇

Likes ammarb32
snehil31 said:
Thanks a lot @ammarb32 for the correct solution.
As per book the answers are this one: 1.2A, 15.0A & 16.2A. :smile:😇

Awesome glad to hear. No worries best of luck!

1. What is the superposition theorem and how does it apply to circuit problems?

The superposition theorem states that in a linear circuit with multiple sources, the total response can be calculated by finding the individual responses of each source separately and then adding them together. This is useful for solving complex circuit problems by breaking them down into simpler parts.

2. How do I use the superposition theorem to solve a circuit problem?

To use the superposition theorem, you will need to calculate the response of the circuit for each individual source by setting all other sources to zero. Then, add the individual responses together to find the total response of the circuit.

3. What are the limitations of the superposition theorem?

The superposition theorem can only be applied to linear circuits. It also assumes that all components in the circuit are ideal, which may not always be the case in real-world circuits. Additionally, it can become more complex and time-consuming to use for circuits with a large number of sources.

4. Can the superposition theorem be used for circuits with dependent sources?

Yes, the superposition theorem can be applied to circuits with dependent sources. However, it may require additional steps to solve for the individual responses of each source.

5. Are there any other methods for solving circuit problems besides the superposition theorem?

Yes, there are other methods such as Kirchhoff's laws, Thevenin's theorem, and Norton's theorem that can also be used to solve circuit problems. It is important to understand and be familiar with multiple methods in order to choose the most efficient approach for a given circuit problem.