How Do Position and Momentum Operators Act in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the question asks if the results for <x|XP|ψ> and <x|PX|ψ> can be found directly by using the fact that in the { |x> } representation, P acts like h/i d/dx. The solutions to the exercise show that the results can indeed be found directly by making the suggested substitutions.
Joao Victor
Yesterday, I was solving an exercise from Cohen-Tannoudji's book - Quantum Mechanics -, but then I got stuck on the second question that the exercise brings. I wonder if you guys could help me, and here is the exercise:

"Using the relation
<x|p> = (2πħ) eipx/ħ, find the expressions <x|XP|ψ> and <x|PX|ψ> in terms of ψ(x). Can these results be found directly by using the fact that in the { |x> } representation, P acts like h/i d/dx ?"

I have found the expressions, but I don't know how to answer the question in bold (I do know that P acts like h/i d/dx in the x position representation, but I haven't figured out how to use this information on the exercise.

Here are my solutions:

<x|XP|ψ> = (<x|X)(P|ψ>) = x <x|P|ψ> = x ∫dp <x|p><p|P|ψ> =
= x ∫dp (2πħ) eipx/ħ p <p|ψ> = x(2πħ) ∫dp eipx/ħpψ(p)
= x ħ/i d/dx (ψ(x))
⇒ <x|XP|ψ> = x ħ/i ψ'(x)

<x|PX|ψ> = ∫dp <x|p><p|PX|ψ> = ∫dp (2πħ) eipx/ħ p <p|X|ψ>
= (2πħ) ∫ eipx/ħp dp ∫dx <p|x><x|X|ψ>
= (2πħ) ∫ eipx/ħp dp ∫dx (2πħ) e-ipx/ħ x ψ(x)
= (2πħ) ∫ dp eipx/ħ iħ pψ'(p)
= -ħ/i (2πħ) ∫dp eipx/ħ pψ'(p)

After some integration by parts...

= ħ/i [ψ(x) + xψ'(x)]
⇒ <x|PX|ψ> = x ħ/i ψ'(x) + ħ/i ψ(x)

I hope you can help me - and I apologize for the horrible format above.

Physics news on Phys.org
Joao Victor said:
Yesterday, I was solving an exercise from Cohen-Tannoudji's book - Quantum Mechanics -, but then I got stuck on the second question that the exercise brings. I wonder if you guys could help me, and here is the exercise:

"Using the relation
<x|p> = (2πħ) eipx/ħ, find the expressions <x|XP|ψ> and <x|PX|ψ> in terms of ψ(x). Can these results be found directly by using the fact that in the { |x> } representation, P acts like h/i d/dx ?"

I have found the expressions, but I don't know how to answer the question in bold (I do know that P acts like h/i d/dx in the x position representation, but I haven't figured out how to use this information on the exercise.

Here are my solutions:

<x|XP|ψ> = (<x|X)(P|ψ>) = x <x|P|ψ> = x ∫dp <x|p><p|P|ψ> =
= x ∫dp (2πħ) eipx/ħ p <p|ψ> = x(2πħ) ∫dp eipx/ħpψ(p)
= x ħ/i d/dx (ψ(x))
⇒ <x|XP|ψ> = x ħ/i ψ'(x)

<x|PX|ψ> = ∫dp <x|p><p|PX|ψ> = ∫dp (2πħ) eipx/ħ p <p|X|ψ>
= (2πħ) ∫ eipx/ħp dp ∫dx <p|x><x|X|ψ>
= (2πħ) ∫ eipx/ħp dp ∫dx (2πħ) e-ipx/ħ x ψ(x)
= (2πħ) ∫ dp eipx/ħ iħ pψ'(p)
= -ħ/i (2πħ) ∫dp eipx/ħ pψ'(p)

After some integration by parts...

= ħ/i [ψ(x) + xψ'(x)]
⇒ <x|PX|ψ> = x ħ/i ψ'(x) + ħ/i ψ(x)

I hope you can help me - and I apologize for the horrible format above.

It is probably too late for answering your question but what they meant is that your final results are equivalent to making the following substitutions:

[tex] \langle x | XP | \psi \rangle \rightarrow x (\frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{d}{dx} ) \psi(x) [/tex]

and

[tex] \langle x | PX | \psi \rangle \rightarrow (\frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{d}{dx} ) x \psi(x) [/tex]

1. What is the Cohen-Tannoudji Exercise?

The Cohen-Tannoudji Exercise is a physics exercise created by Nobel laureate Claude Cohen-Tannoudji for students to practice and deepen their understanding of quantum mechanics and atomic physics.

2. What topics does the Cohen-Tannoudji Exercise cover?

The Cohen-Tannoudji Exercise covers a wide range of topics including wave-particle duality, the Schrodinger equation, quantum states and operators, and atomic structure.

3. Who can benefit from doing the Cohen-Tannoudji Exercise?

The Cohen-Tannoudji Exercise is designed for students studying physics at the undergraduate or graduate level, but can also be a valuable resource for researchers and professionals in the field of quantum mechanics and atomic physics.

4. How can one access the Cohen-Tannoudji Exercise?

The Cohen-Tannoudji Exercise is typically included in textbooks on quantum mechanics or atomic physics, and can also be found online through various educational websites and resources.

5. What are the benefits of doing the Cohen-Tannoudji Exercise?

The Cohen-Tannoudji Exercise allows students to apply their theoretical knowledge to practical problems, improving their problem-solving skills and deepening their understanding of quantum mechanics and atomic physics concepts. It also helps to prepare students for exams and further research in these fields.