Computer Won't Load XP: Help Solve Problem

In summary: If you hooked everything up the same it should work like it did before the change.OTOH If you do have an OS loader boot disk, then it will tell you what it finds for a drive to load to, before it actually changes things.The IDE/SATA cable is connected to the HDThe power connector is connected to the HDAlso, make sure you set your BIOS to boot from your HD. Also, make sure that there is no floppy disk in the floppy...
Too many possible reasons . Have you connected everything properly, check that the connectors are pushed fully home and check to see if dust has entered one of the small holes on the the connector.

You could have damaged your hard drive or cable , so try a different hard drive or cable or try yours in another pc.

your boot order could be wrong and its trying to boot from maybe your cd.

Go into dos using a boot disk , find the drive and use the dir command to see if a directory of the files on the disk comes up, if they do then i would say its your boot order or the drive is connected to the wrong connection.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Here's an idea: find a smart friend who knows much about pc hardware and get him or her to diagnose the problem. Obviously it's very difficult to do it online.

I did. My friends dad is very knowledgeable about computers and the DOS system. He said that he didnt know how to fix it. Theres no boot order, i can't change it, none shows up...anywhere

In the end if you have only switched cases the boot order shouldn't matter as you should have re-connected everything to the same connections. So you have to asume either you've not connected something correctly or the Data on the hard drive has become corrupt or youve broken something
The first one is quick and simple to check by disconnecting all the power and data leads one at a time and reconnecting again.
The second requires re-installing windows allowing it to reformat before installation if youdont mind losing files .
And the third one requires if possible switching items from one computer to another to track down the broken part or problem.

And there will be a , Boot Sequence, First Boot Device,Boot Order Boot Management or boot something in the bios somewhere.
But you shouldn't need it if youve recoonected everything how it came out of the old case

Last edited:
As i said i don't have the XP disc because it was OEM... I wouldn't mind reinstalling at all becuase i have nothing on it. Theres no bios on the start up.

There is a bios , your just not pressing the correct key for your mother board.
Honest steve, so your not one of these people who download dodgy copies of windows , good for you . Havent you got a copy of millenium 0r 98 or something.

well i have XP but its for dell and it came with the dell i bought. Idk how to get to the bios then...

Hey just wanted to let everyone know that it works now! I would like to express my gratitude towards everyone who helped out in this thread. I could not have figured it out without you. It turns out the jumpers were incorrect and the motherboard was grounded to the case because the previous case had built in spacers. Once i fixed this a BIOS came up and i was able to set the correct paramiters. Again, an extended thanks to everyone!

Thank you for the thanks! Lots of us jump in here, with little feedback, and it's nice to know when something worked.

Yeah i know sorry about the lack of feedback. I was trying frantically to get time to fix it while taking 3 A.P's and Honors Physics. That was insane. To top it all of work 8 hours on Saturday. I really only had Sunday to work and i was tired understandibly. But Again it worked and thanks again!