Conformal Mapping: Part II - Finding u and v for Given Values of x and y

In summary, the conversation discusses part ii of a homework problem and the attempt to find the values for u and v using the results from part i. The student encounters some difficulties with the calculations and questions if they are interpreting the question correctly. They also ask if the result obtained is a standard result or if they should have known it.
thomas49th

Homework Statement

part ii of
http://gyazo.com/0754ea00b2a4ea4a4d171906f6bf28bf

Answers
http://gyazo.com/821f370c502cd20210925f8498d18fa1

Homework Equations

I did part i.
I had to spot that 1/(x+iy)^2 = 1/(x^2+y^2)^2... (I subbed y = y-1)
is this a standard result? Should I just know this?

The Attempt at a Solution

For part ii

from the first part we know what u and v are for the w functions. For x = 0, sub this into u and v giving,
u = -1/(y-1)^2 and v = 0.

But that doesn't agree with the answer

Nor does the y=1 subbing (giving u =1 , v= 0)

I must of interpreted the question wrong. What should I of done?

Thanks
Thomas

Physics news on Phys.org
Small mistake:
I mean for subbing y = 1

u = 1/x^2 and v = 0

But that doesn't really help

What am I doing wrong? Am I right in thinking I simply sub the values for x and y into the equations derived in the first part of the question?

Related to Conformal Mapping: Part II - Finding u and v for Given Values of x and y

What is a conformal mapping?

A conformal mapping is a mathematical transformation that preserves angles between intersecting curves, but not necessarily lengths or areas. This means that conformal mappings are useful for studying geometric properties of objects, as well as for visualizing complex functions.

What are some applications of conformal mapping?

Conformal mapping has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and cartography. It is commonly used in the study of fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. It is also used in the design of electronic circuits and in the creation of maps and charts.

How is conformal mapping different from other types of mapping?

Unlike other types of mapping, conformal mapping preserves angles and is therefore useful for studying the local behavior of functions. In contrast, other types of mapping may distort angles and are better suited for studying global properties of functions.

What are some key properties of conformal mapping?

Some key properties of conformal mapping include the preservation of angles, the preservation of conformal symmetry, and the ability to map one simply connected region to another. Additionally, conformal mappings are analytic functions, meaning that they can be described by power series expansions.

What are some common techniques for solving conformal mapping problems?

There are several common techniques for solving conformal mapping problems, including the use of conformal transformations, the application of boundary value problems, and the use of complex variables. Other methods may include the use of computer simulations and numerical methods.