Constraint equations in mechanics

In summary, the problem involves two blocks of mass 5kg and 10kg connected by a string over a pulley B and another string connecting pulley B to the floor over pulley A. An upward force F is applied at the center of pulley A. Both pulleys are massless. The question is to find the acceleration of the blocks for different values of F (100N, 300N, 500N) with the assumption of g=10 ms-2.The attempted solution involved drawing a FBD in the frame of pulley A and using a downward pseudo force. It was found that F=4T, where T is the tension in the string connecting the two masses. However, after solving the
Kushal Chakrabarti
1. The problem: Two blocks of mass m=5kg and M= 10kg are connected by a string passing over a pulley B. Another string connects pulley B to the floor and passes over pulley A. An upward force F is applied at the centre of pulley A. Both pulleys are massless. Find acceleration of the blocks if F is:
a) 100N, b) 300N, c) 500N
Take g=10 ms-2
I have attached an image of the problem.

Attempt at a solution:
Well I drew an FBD in the frame of pulley A, thus using a downward pseudo force. Also, I found using constraint equations that F=4T, where T is the tension in the thread joining the two masses. Thus it gave me two equations ( one for each mass) but solving them, I found out that both the accelerations are turning out to be negative. Where did I go wrong?
15320104568961692308584.jpg

Attachments

• 15320104568961692308584.jpg
    15320104568961692308584.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 722
Physics news on Phys.org
Kushal Chakrabarti said:
Thus it gave me two equations ( one for each mass) but solving them, I found out that both the accelerations are turning out to be negative. Where did I go wrong?
How are we going to have any chance to answer that if you do not show us your calculations?

Orodruin said:
How are we going to have any chance to answer that if you do not show us your calculations?
I'm very sorry sir I'll put my attempt too

15320118790831916162559.jpg

Attachments

• 15320118790831916162559.jpg
    15320118790831916162559.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,094
Orodruin said:
I've now added my attempt too, sir

Kushal Chakrabarti said:
Please take the trouble to type working. Images are for diagrams and textbook extracts.
If you must post as images, please number equations for reference.

The line F=(M+m)a omits that a cord is anchored to the floor. It is also wrong in supposing that the mass centre of the two masses accelerates at the same rate as the upper pulley.

1. What are constraint equations in mechanics?

Constraint equations in mechanics are mathematical relationships that describe the restrictions or limitations on the motion of a system. They are used to model the behavior of physical systems by taking into account the forces, velocities, and positions of the objects within the system.

2. Why are constraint equations important in mechanics?

Constraint equations are important in mechanics because they allow us to accurately predict and analyze the motion of complex systems. By incorporating the constraints into our equations, we can account for the various interactions and restrictions within the system and make more accurate predictions.

3. What types of constraints can be represented by equations in mechanics?

There are several types of constraints that can be represented by equations in mechanics, including geometric constraints (such as fixed distances or angles), kinematic constraints (such as no-slip conditions), and dynamic constraints (such as forces that restrict motion).

4. How are constraint equations solved in mechanics?

Constraint equations in mechanics are typically solved using techniques from calculus, such as Lagrange multipliers or the principle of virtual work. These methods allow us to find the equations of motion for a system while also satisfying the constraints.

5. Can constraint equations be applied to all types of systems in mechanics?

Yes, constraint equations can be applied to a variety of systems in mechanics, including rigid bodies, fluids, and even quantum systems. They are a fundamental tool in the study of mechanics and are used extensively in fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics.