Contact and electromagnetic force

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of contact forces and how they can be decomposed into normal and frictional forces. It was also mentioned that contact forces are present between matter and can be applied by direct physical contact. There was a debate about the relationship between the magnitude of the contact force and its normal component, with one person arguing that the contact force is always greater than its normal component and another person pointing out that this may not always be the case. Finally, there was a discussion about the fallacy of equivocation and the use of variable names without proper explanation.
rudransh verma
Gold Member
Homework Statement
1. F, Fn, f are contact force, normal force, friction exerted by one surface over another. If none is zero then-
A. F>Fn
B. F>f
C. Fn<F<Fn+f
D. All

2. If a body of mass m is moving on rough horizontal surface of coefficient mu then the net electromagnetic force exerted by the surface on the body is -
Relevant Equations
Newton second law.
I don’t know what is contact force. Are friction and normal forces called contact forces? And we have to take the resultant of the two to get the net contact force?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rudransh verma said:
I don’t know what is contact force. Are friction and normal forces called contact forces? And we have to take the resultant of the two to get the net contact force?
I was going to provide a definition, but the one in Wikipedia is a bit better.

jbriggs444 said:
I was going to provide a definition, but the one in Wikipedia is a bit better.
So to find the contact force we need to take the resultant of all the forces since that is what it is, the resultant of all the contact forces acting on body. Gravity is not a contact force but normal forces, and friction all come under contact forces.

What if there is applied force too acting on the body?

rudransh verma said:
So to find the contact force we need to take the resultant of all the forces since that is what it is, the resultant of all the contact forces acting on body. Gravity is not a contact force but normal forces, and friction all come under contact forces.

What does Newton's second law say?

jbriggs444 said:
What does Newton's second law say?
F=ma. I think if there is Friction there is applied force too. So sum of all the forces will give contact force or will have to leave applied force?

rudransh verma said:
F=ma. I think if there is Friction there is applied force too. So sum of all the forces will give contact force or will have to leave applied force?
Newton's second law states that ##\sum F = ma##. Not one force. The sum of all forces.

There can be friction without an applied force. A block that slides to a stop, for instance.

jbriggs444 said:
Newton's second law states that ##\sum F = ma##. Not one force. The sum of all forces.

There can be friction without an applied force. A block that slides to a stop, for instance.
So what do you want to say ?

rudransh verma said:
So what do you want to say ?
I thought that I was clear. You said:
rudransh verma said:
I think if there is Friction there is applied force too.
That was incorrect. There can be friction without some other applied force. An example is a block sliding to a stop.

rudransh verma said:
The Wikipedia article gives "Pushing a car up a hill" as an example of a contact force.

jbriggs444 said:
Newton's second law states that ∑F=ma. Not one force. The sum of all forces.
So a ramp applies a force known as contact force which can be decomposed into normal and friction. It is the force which is present between matter.
haruspex said:
The Wikipedia article gives "Pushing a car up a hill" as an example of a contact force.
I don’t think that’s what it says. It says “where contact forces are at work”

rudransh verma said:
I don’t think that’s what it says. It says “where contact forces are at work”
It says: "Pushing a car up a hill ... are some of the everyday examples where contact forces are at work. In the first case the force is continuously applied by the person on the car".
So, yes, it does say pushing a car up a hill is an everyday example of a contact force.

A contact force acting on a body is any force that is applied to the surface by direct physical contact. The only forces I can think of that are not contact forces are gravity, electric and magnetic forces, and virtual (or "fictitious") forces such as centrifugal, inertial, Coriolis...

rudransh verma said:
So a ramp applies a force known as contact force which can be decomposed into normal and friction. It is the force which is present between matter.
Yes.

Likes rudransh verma
jbriggs444 said:
Yes.
So, f> Fn.
And since F=under root(Fn^2+f^2)
So, F>Fn
And given ans is Fn+f>F. How?
Also F>f, how?

rudransh verma said:
So, f> Fn.
And since F=under root(Fn^2+f^2)
So, F>Fn
And given ans is Fn+f>F. How?
Also F>f, how?
Using variable names without saying what those variable names represent. You do this persistently. Please stop. Use your words. Tell us what the variable names represent.

You claim that "f > Fn".

Sure. If by "##f##" you mean the contact force and by "##F_n##" you mean the normal component of the contact force and if we are working on a ramp with a rough surface so that friction ##F_f## is present and is non-zero then the [magnitude of the] contact force ##f## will be greater than its normal component ##F_n##.

But the next words out of your mouth are that ##F=\sqrt{{F_n}^2+f^2}##.

Sure. If by "##F##" you mean the contact force, by "##f##" you mean friction and by "##F_n##" you mean the normal component of the contact force. But this is a different assignment of variable names than in the previous breath.

It is called the fallacy of equivocation.

jbriggs444 said:
Sure. If by "f" you mean the contact force and by "Fn" you mean the normal component of the contact force and if we are working on a ramp with a rough surface so that friction Ff is present and is non-zero then the [magnitude of the] contact force f will be greater than its normal component Fn.
In question it’s already given f is friction , F is contact and Fn is normal. There is no mention in OP of ramp. I think because f=muFn. So f>Fn. But then I thought Mu is between 0 to 1. So I don’t think f>Fn . (This is not asked by the way)
jbriggs444 said:
But the next words out of your mouth are that F=Fn2+f2.
I am unable to mathematically prove how F>f or F>Fn.( I guessed!)

rudransh verma said:
f is friction , F is contact and Fn is normal
Just checking: you do understand that the question is saying that F consists of the two components f and Fn, yes?
rudransh verma said:
f=muFn
You don't know that. If this is static friction then f is anything up to ##-\mu_sF_n##.
rudransh verma said:
I thought Mu is between 0 to 1.
There is no limit to the value of a coefficient of friction, though most are less than one.

Last edited:
Likes rudransh verma
haruspex said:
Just checking: you do understand that the question is saying that F consists of the two components f and Fn, yes?
Ok! So how do you prove F>f and F>Fn mathematically?

rudransh verma said:
Ok! So how do you prove F>f and F>Fn mathematically?
It is seldom educational to prove trivialities.

So you want to prove that the magnitude of the total force ##|\vec{F}|## is greater than both its the magnitude of its frictional component (##|f|##) and the magnitude of its normal component (##|F_n|##), right?

We can take it as a given that ##|\vec{F}| = \sqrt{f^2 + {F_n}^2}##

The square root function is strictly monotone increasing. For any non-negative ##x## and ##y## such that ##x > y##, it follows that ##\sqrt{x} > \sqrt{y}##.

If ##f## (friction) is non-zero, we know that ##f^2## is strictly positive.
If ##F_n## (normal force) is non-zero, we know that ##{F_n}^2## is strictly positive.

It follows both that ##f^2 + {F_n}^2 > f^2## and that ##f^2 + {F_n}^2 > {F_n}^2##

From which it follows both that ##|F| = \sqrt{f^2 + {F_n}^2} > \sqrt{f^2} = |f|## and that ##|F| = \sqrt{f^2 + {F_n}^2} > \sqrt{{F_n}^2} = |F_n|##

However, there is a loophole in the proof. If ##f## is zero (frictionless) then the magnitude of the total force will not be greater than the magnitude of the normal component. Instead, the two will be equal.

Similarly, if ##F_n## is zero (no normal force) then the magnitude of the total force will not be greater than the magnitude of the frictional component. Instead, the two will be equal.

Likes rudransh verma
jbriggs444 said:
It is seldom educational to prove trivialities.
What does that mean?
jbriggs444 said:
If f (friction) is non-zero, we know that f2 is strictly positive.
If Fn (normal force) is non-zero, we know that Fn2 is strictly positive.

It follows both that f2+Fn2>f2 and that f2+Fn2>Fn2

From which it follows both that |F|=f2+Fn2>f2=|f| and that |F|=f2+Fn2>Fn2=|Fn|

Ho
So F>Fn and F>f. Also Fn<Fn+f. So clearly All of these.
But can we also prove F<Fn+f ?
I have started proving: $$-F<-f$$
$$-F<-Fn$$
Adding both $$-F-F<-Fn-f$$
$$-2F<-Fn-f$$
$$2F>Fn+f$$
Can we proceed further?

rudransh verma said:
What does that mean?
If you ask for a proof that 2+2 = 4, the result will not be educational. Depending on what you accept as axiomatic, it can be either trivial and uninformative or quite lengthy and ultimately boring.

rudransh verma said:
So F>Fn and F>f. Also Fn<Fn+f. So clearly All of these.
But can we also prove F<Fn+f ?
Huh?

##\vec{F}## (the total force) is, by definition equal to the sum of its components, ##\vec{F_n}## and ##\vec{f}##.

Possibly you want a proof of the triangle inequality? Given the lengths of two sides of a triangle, the length of the third side is no greater than the sum of the other two.

Last edited:
Likes rudransh verma
jbriggs444 said:
you ask for a proof that 2+2 = 4, the result will not be educational. Depending on what you accept as axiomatic, it can be either trivial and uninformative or quite lengthy and ultimately boring.
Ok!
But why is F not equal to muFn always and what are the values of mu ? Is it not always from 0 to 1?
Because I recently learned otherwise.

rudransh verma said:
But why is F not equal to muFn always
Because there is no reason it should be. For example: what if there is no friction but there is a normal force?

rudransh verma said:
and what are the values of mu ? Is it not always from 0 to 1?
There is no upper limit on ##\mu_s## (coefficient of limiting static friction) or ##\mu_k## (coefficient of kinetic friction). @haruspex has already told you this (Post #16).

By the way, ##\mu_sF_n## gives the frictional force between 2 surfaces when slipping is about to start.
If there is no slipping, the frictional force could be less than this will be less than or equal to this.

Edited.

Last edited:
rudransh verma said:
why is F not equal to muFn always
For kinetic friction, ##|F_{k}|=\mu_kN##.
For static friction, ##|F_{s}|<=\mu_sN##.
If a body is resting on a frictional surface and a horizontal force ##F_h## is gradually applied then while ##|F_{h}|<\mu_sN## there is no movement. Therefore ##F_s=-F_h##.

Please read https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-mechanics-friction/.
rudransh verma said:
Because I recently learned otherwise.
Which, that ##F_s## always equals ##\mu_sN## or that ##\mu<=1##, or both?
Where did you learn that from?
Long list of coefficients at https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/friction-coefficients-d_778.html shows some exceed 1.

Last edited:
Steve4Physics said:
Because there is no reason it should be. For example: what if there is no friction but there is a normal force?
For second question in OP, by electromagnetic force do they mean contact force?
Because friction and normal forces all arise through electromagnetism between atoms and molecules.

rudransh verma said:
For second question in OP, by electromagnetic force do they mean contact force?
Because friction and normal forces all arise through electromagnetism between atoms and molecules.
They arise from electrostatic interactions between electrons in atoms, but those are still surface effects, so count as contact forces. More generally, electromagnetic interactions may be more long range, reaching to the interiors, and then do not count as contact forces.

Likes rudransh verma
haruspex said:
They arise from electrostatic interactions between electrons in atoms, but those are still surface effects, so count as contact forces. More generally, electromagnetic interactions may be more long range, reaching to the interiors, and then do not count as contact forces.
Edit: $$F_c=\sqrt{{(mg)}^2+{(mumg)}^2}$$
$$F_c=mg\sqrt{1+{(mu)}^2}$$

Last edited:
rudransh verma said:
$$F_c=\sqrt{{mg}^2+{mumg}^2}$$
$$F_c=mg\sqrt{1+{mu}^2}$$
What does ##mumg^2## mean? Are you trying to write ##(\mu mg)^2##, aka "##(\text{mu}\ mg)^2##"

What you have comes out looking like it means ##um^2g^2##.

You also have a problem with ##mg^2## where ##(mg)^2## is intended.

Curly braces in the ##\LaTeX## source are formatting hints only. They do not render in the finished product.

Likes rudransh verma
rudransh verma said:
$$F_c=mg\sqrt{1+{mu}^2}$$
So you are saying ##F_c=mg\sqrt{1+{\mu}^2}##.

Suppose you weigh (mg =) 700N. You are standing (in equilibrium) on level ground. The coefficient of (static) friction between you and the ground is ##\mu_s=0.5##.

What is the contact force ##F_c## acting on you?

Hint: it is not ##700\sqrt{1+0.5^2}##.

Steve4Physics said:
What is the contact force Fc acting on you?
Well It should be 700N since friction is zero(Standing), not ##mumg##

rudransh verma said:
OK, that is correct. Now suppose you weigh 700 N and you stand at rest on a rough plane inclined at 12° relative to the horizontal. What is the contact force on you in this case? Give magnitude and direction.

rudransh verma said:
Yes, 700N. But putting the values into your formula gives ##F_c = 700\sqrt{1+0.5^2} = 783N## approx, which is clearly wrong.

Call the normal reaction ##F_n## (you are using ##F_n=mg##).

It is important to realize that ##\mu_sF_n## does not give the frictional force except in special circumstances.

Do you know under what special circumstances the frictional force is ##\mu_sF_n##?

(By the way, I think @kuruman is raising a different, but important, issue in Post #30.)

And note that to get the Greek letter ##\mu## in LaTeX, use \mu.

Likes rudransh verma and jbriggs444
kuruman said:
OK, that is correct. Now suppose you weigh 700 N and you stand at rest on a rough plane inclined at 12° relative to the horizontal. What is the contact force on you in this case? Give magnitude and direction.
3796.15 N
90.5 degrees

rudransh verma said:
3796.15 N
90.5 degrees
Simpler than that. Way simpler.

You have a 700 N man exerting a 3796.15 N force. Nice trick if you can pull it off.

• Wow
Likes Steve4Physics and kuruman
rudransh verma said:
3796.15 N
90.5 degrees
Huh? Think again. This is a teaching moment. There are two forces acting on you, your weight exerted by the Earth and the contact force exerted by the incline. They add up to zero because you are rest and remain at rest. So ##\dots##

Likes Steve4Physics and jbriggs444
kuruman said:
Huh? Think again. This is a teaching moment. There are two forces acting on you, your weight exerted by the Earth and the contact force exerted by the incline. They add up to zero because you are rest and remain at rest. So ##\dots##
The contact force namely the resultant of friction and normal should be same and opposite to our weight. So 700N opposite of gravity.
We can also say the vector sum of gravity, normal and friction should be zero for the body to remain at rest.

Likes Steve4Physics