Counting Stars in Universe: How Big Bang Began

In summary, the Big Bang theory is the most widely accepted explanation for the beginning of the universe. It states that approximately 13.8 billion years ago, all matter and energy in the universe was compressed into an incredibly dense and hot singularity. This singularity then rapidly expanded, creating the universe as we know it today. The stars we see in the night sky are the result of this expansion, as matter clumped together to form galaxies and eventually stars. Counting the number of stars in the universe is an ongoing and challenging task, but it is estimated that there are around 100 billion galaxies, each containing billions of stars. With the help of advanced technology and ongoing research, scientists continue to unravel the mysteries of our vast universe and
Pupil
So my first question is, how do we know how many stars are in our galaxy? And the second is, how do we know the big bang started with a singularity (as opposed to, say, the universe being a few light years wide and then start expanding 13.7 billion years ago until it reached our present size)?

The reason I ask is, I was watching this History channel video on the Big Bang called The Universe (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6CXsvNGkhg&feature=PlayList&p=8AB46D948616D856&index=0), and though I knew a bit about the big bang and the number of stars we think there are, I have no idea why we think so. Kind of embarrassing.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
So my first question is, how do we know how many stars are in our galaxy? And the second is, how do we know the big bang started with a singularity (as opposed to, say, the universe being a few light years wide and then start expanding 13.7 billion years ago until it reached our present size)?

Of course we cannot know how many stars there are in our galaxy, that is like counting how many sand particles are there on the beach. If you go backwards in time, using general relativity, you get to a point of infinite density and temperature. That is what we call a singularity.

Let me guide you to a good, non technical website to learn about the early universe.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/astronomy/bigbang.html#evidence

math_04 said:
Of course we cannot know how many stars there are in our galaxy, that is like counting how many sand particles are there on the beach.

No, but I think he means how did we arrive at the current estimate of around 100 billion stars. Obviously, we didn't count all those; instead, we took samples from various parts of the galaxy and extrapolated from those samples to arrive at a first-order approximation of the total number. We can do the same for the number of sand grains on a given beach or the number of ants on the island of Hawaii.

math_04 said:
Of course we cannot know how many stars there are in our galaxy, that is like counting how many sand particles are there on the beach. If you go backwards in time, using general relativity, you get to a point of infinite density and temperature. That is what we call a singularity.

Let me guide you to a good, non technical website to learn about the early universe.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/astronomy/bigbang.html#evidence

Thanks for the link. It's a lot of material, so I might be awhile getting through it. As for the counting of stars in our galaxy, I hear we have very good estimates (though not exact numbers). How is our estimate calculated?

EDIT: Looks like negitron beat me to my question and answered it. So we basically took a picture of a small area of the galaxy, counted the stars inside, and then assumed that number as a constant for all other parts of the galaxy and added the parts up?

Pupil said:
Thanks for the link. It's a lot of material, so I might be awhile getting through it. As for the counting of stars in our galaxy, I hear we have very good estimates (though not exact numbers). How is our estimate calculated?

EDIT: Looks like negitron beat me to my question and answered it. So we basically took a picture of a small area of the galaxy, counted the stars inside, and then assumed that number as a constant for all other parts of the galaxy and added the parts up?
Well, the galaxy is not homogenous of course, there are whole swaths almost devoid of stars and other areas where they're practically elbow-to-elbow, but yeah...

Pupil said:

Well, more than one, as I alluded to. As Dave says, the galaxy isn't homogenous: the core is densely-packed with stars, while the spiral arms are less so and the interstices between the arms are even more sparsely populated. But, you have the general idea about right.

Our sun resides almost edge on to the galactic plane, so we have a terrible view of the galaxy. Our sun is also very average in brightness. Most such stars would be difficult to detect at 10,000 light years, much less 100,000 light years. About half the stars in the galaxy are even fainter than our sun. We would be lucky to observe more than about 15% of stars in this galaxy under the best of circumstances.

Chronos said:
Our sun resides almost edge on to the galactic plane, so we have a terrible view of the galaxy. Our sun is also very average in brightness. Most such stars would be difficult to detect at 10,000 light years, much less 100,000 light years. About half the stars in the galaxy are even fainter than our sun. We would be lucky to observe more than about 15% of stars in this galaxy under the best of circumstances.
Individually, no. But en mass, not so hard.

1. How many stars are estimated to exist in the observable universe?

According to current estimates, there are approximately 100 billion galaxies in the observable universe, with each galaxy containing an average of 100 billion stars. This means that there are roughly 10 billion trillion (10^22) stars in the observable universe.

2. How do scientists determine the age of the universe?

The age of the universe is determined through various methods, including measuring the cosmic microwave background radiation, the expansion rate of the universe, and the ages of the oldest stars and galaxies. Currently, the most widely accepted age of the universe is 13.8 billion years.

3. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing model for the origin and evolution of the universe. It states that about 13.8 billion years ago, all matter and energy in the universe was compressed into a singularity, which then expanded rapidly, creating the universe as we know it.

4. How are stars formed?

Stars are formed from clouds of gas and dust, known as nebulae, that can be found throughout the universe. These clouds are pulled together by gravity and as they become denser, they heat up and eventually form a protostar. Through nuclear fusion, the protostar then becomes a star and begins to emit light and heat.

5. How has the discovery of exoplanets affected our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of exoplanets, or planets outside of our solar system, has greatly expanded our understanding of the universe. It has shown that there are countless other planets in our galaxy and beyond, some of which may have conditions suitable for life. This has also led to new theories and research on the formation and evolution of planets and solar systems.