Current density homework problem

In summary, the conversation discusses two different cases of current density in a cylindrical region with a varying radius. The first case has a maximum current density at the axis and decreases linearly to zero at the surface, while the second case has a maximum current density at the surface and decreases linearly to zero at the axis. The integral to calculate the current in both cases involves integrating the current density with respect to the area, which depends on the direction of the current density.
Aviegaille

Homework Statement

(a)The current density across a cylindrical region of radius R varies according to the equation: J=J0(1-r/R), where r is the distance from the axis of the cylinder. The current density is the maximum J0 at the axis r=0 and decreases linearly to zero at the surface r=R. Calculate the current in terms J0 and the region's cross sectional area A=pi*R^2.

(b) Now suppose that a current density was a maximum Jo at the surface and decreased linearly to zero at the axis, so that: J=J0 r/R. Calculate the current. Why is the result different for these two cases?

Homework Equations

I=JA

The Attempt at a Solution

I uploaded a picture of the first part but I am not sure if it's correct. I also don't know how to get the area from this problem. I am thinking of plugging the value of R from I to get the area but I am pretty sure it is not right.

Attachments

• 10711264_757361231009229_384913907_n.jpg
    10711264_757361231009229_384913907_n.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 517
Physics news on Phys.org
You're integrating w.r.t. [itex] J_0 [/itex]?! That's strangely wrong!
As you wrote, [itex] I=JA [/itex] but that's only when J is a constant through out A. Otherwise you have [itex] I=\int dI=\int J dA [/itex]. Here J is not constant and so you should integrate w.r.t. area. But what that area is, depends on the direction of [itex] J [/itex](remember current density is a vector!). You didn't give what's the direction of J but from the area formula you given, I take it that [itex] \vec J=J \hat z [/itex]. So the integral you should do is [itex] I=\int _0^R \int_0^{2\pi} J r d\varphi dr [/itex].

Shyan said:
You're integrating w.r.t. [itex] J_0 [/itex]?! That's strangely wrong!
As you wrote, [itex] I=JA [/itex] but that's only when J is a constant through out A. Otherwise you have [itex] I=\int dI=\int J dA [/itex]. Here J is not constant and so you should integrate w.r.t. area. But what that area is, depends on the direction of [itex] J [/itex](remember current density is a vector!). You didn't give what's the direction of J but from the area formula you given, I take it that [itex] \vec J=J \hat z [/itex]. So the integral you should do is [itex] I=\int _0^R \int_0^{2\pi} J r d\varphi dr [/itex].

Thanks for correcting [itex] J_0 [/itex]. Can you further explain this ∫2π0Jrdφ ??

Aviegaille said:
Can you further explain this part \int_0^{2\pi} J r d\varphi
Since ##J## is changing throughout the area you are considering, you have to integrate it with respect to area to get the current. ##
I=\int _0^R \int_0^{2\pi} J r d\varphi dr## is just ##
\int J dA
## in polar coordinates (hopefully you've seen them before).

ZetaOfThree said:
Since ##J## is changing throughout the area you are considering, you have to integrate it with respect to area to get the current. ##
I=\int _0^R \int_0^{2\pi} J r d\varphi dr## is just ##
\int J dA
## in polar coordinates (hopefully you've seen them before).

I haven't but that makes sense. Thanks.

1. What is current density and how is it calculated?

Current density is a measure of the flow of electric current through a given area. It is calculated by dividing the magnitude of the current by the area through which it is flowing.

2. How is current density related to the electric field?

Current density is directly proportional to the electric field. This means that an increase in the electric field will result in an increase in current density, and vice versa.

3. What are the units of current density?

The SI unit for current density is amperes per square meter (A/m²). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as amperes per square centimeter (A/cm²) or milliamperes per square centimeter (mA/cm²).

4. What factors can affect the value of current density?

The value of current density can be affected by several factors, including the magnitude of the current, the cross-sectional area through which it is flowing, and the material through which it is flowing. Temperature and the presence of impurities can also impact current density.

5. How is current density used in practical applications?

Current density is an important concept in understanding the behavior of electric currents in various materials. It is commonly used in the design and analysis of electrical circuits and devices, as well as in materials science and engineering to study the flow of current through different materials.