Current in a parallel resistor?

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a battery of emf 10V and a combination of resistors. The total resistance was found to be 5Ω and the next task was to show that each resistor was 3Ω. However, there was difficulty in calculating the current through resistor Y. The attempt at a solution involved using the equation V=IR and finding the voltage across Y to be 6V. However, this answer was incorrect and the mark scheme stated to subtract the voltage across Y from the emf to get 4V, which was the correct answer. The confusion was resolved when it was noted that for KVL, one must consider the entire circuit and not just a portion of it.
TheGreenMarin

Homework Statement

The problem involves a battery of emf 10V [with no internal resistance] and a combination of resistors. Here is the diagram provided:

A picture of the diagram can be found here: http://gyazo.com/7791710d0645de38cfab59f0ac4740ec

(Couldn't get the image feature to work)

The previous questions asked for:
  • Total resistance, which I found to be 5Ω, which is correct
  • Next part says show that each resistor is 3Ω, which I did correctly

The part that I am stuck on is calculating the current through resistor Y.

Homework Equations

R=V/I is the only equation I need to use

The Attempt at a Solution

The question can be found here (its question 7): http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-PHYA1-W-QP-JUN11.PDF
The answers can be found here: http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-PHYA1-W-MS-JUN11.PDF

Since the pd across Y needs to be found before I try to figure out the current, I simply used V = IR, this gave me 6V across Y (2A x 3Ω). So then I simply did I = V/R which gave me an answer of 2A (6V / 3Ω).

My answer was clearly wrong as current splits in parallel so it cannot be 2A which was stated in the question as the reading of the ammeter, which was in series.

I couldn't figure it out, so I checked the mark scheme and it said I had to do:

10V (emf) - (2Ax3Ω) which gives you 4V across Y and then you get 1.3A across Y.

My question is, why do I have to take away the voltage across Y from the emf? Surely that would just give me the remaining emf in the circuit, not the pd across Y.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TheGreenMarin! :smile:
TheGreenMarin said:
… why do I have to take away the voltage across Y from thecemf? Surely that would just give me the remaining emf in the circuit, not the pd across Y.

the remaining emf is the pd between those two dots, isn't it? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi TheGreenMarin! :smile:

the remaining emf is the pd between those two dots, isn't it? :wink:

Yes, I think so, but how would this help me find the current through Y?

The mark scheme says I have to take the voltage across Y from the emf to give me 4V then use R = V/I to find the current.

I'm still not sure why I have to take the voltage across Y from the emf, why can't I use the voltage across Y by itself?

Thanks for reply

TheGreenMarin said:
I'm still not sure why I have to take the voltage across Y from the emf, why can't I use the voltage across Y by itself?

not following you … what's the difference? :confused:

from KVL, the sum of the pds must be the emf

the pd between the dots is the emf minus the pd across Z

and of course it's the same pd across Y and across W and X

(and what did you mean by "the voltage across Y by itself"?​

tiny-tim said:
not following you … what's the difference? :confused:

from KVL, the sum of the pds must be the emf

(and what did you mean by "the voltage across Y by itself"?​

Yes, I am confused :confused:

The question asks for the current going through Y, so I know the resistance of Y is 3Ω, the pd across Y I worked out as 6V, which is wrong. According to the mark scheme I have to do 10-6 to get 4V, which is the pd across Y, but I don't understand, why did I have to do that, why couldn't I just use the 6V I worked out?

Thanks, electricity isn't my strong point :rolleyes:

tiny-tim said:

That makes more sense :D, so I needed to work out the pd across Z first?

TheGreenMarin said:
The question asks for the current going through Y, so I know the resistance of Y is 3Ω, the pd across Y I worked out as 6V, which is wrong. According to the mark scheme I have to do 10-6 to get 4V, which is the pd across Y, but I don't understand, why did I have to do that, why couldn't I just use the 6V I worked out?

let's see where your 6V came from …
TheGreenMarin said:
Since the pd across Y needs to be found before I try to figure out the current, I simply used V = IR, this gave me 6V across Y (2A x 3Ω).

ah, but the current across Y isn't 2A, you'd need to use KCL :wink:

tiny-tim said:
let's see where your 6V came from …

ah, but the current across Y isn't 2A, you'd need to use KCL :wink:

I think I know where I went wrong. I was following the circuit from left to right, instead of using conventional current flow, so I never actually passed the Z resistor so I excluded it from my calculations.

Is that correct?

TheGreenMarin said:
I was following the circuit from left to right, instead of using conventional current flow, so I never actually passed the Z resistor so I excluded it from my calculations.

Is that correct?

nooo :redface:

for KVL, you must always go the whole way round any loop

tiny-tim said:
nooo :redface:

for KVL, you must always go the whole way round any loop

I am going to fail this exam. So I have to consider the whole circuit, right I see. I really need help with electricity.

in a way, what you've been doing does make sense …

if you call the potential 0 at one end of the circuit, and V at the other end,

and if you know what I is,

then yes you can go from either end (starting at 0 or V as the case may be), subtracting or adding the potential difference of each component until you get to the point you want

(but that's not easy if you have components in parallel, as with W X and Y)

practise makes perfect...

TheGreenMarin said:
I am going to fail this exam. So I have to consider the whole circuit, right I see. I really need help with electricity.

You can try these Electricity exam practise questions:
http://www.online-exam-solutions.co.uk/subjects/physics/physics-as-level/electricity

I got quite low in my first attempt, but then kept going through until i was confident.
Apparently if you can do them all your on track for top marks.
I find the 'suggest' and 'Explain' parts the hardest.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Current in a parallel resistor?

1. What is the formula for calculating the total current in a parallel resistor circuit?

The formula for calculating the total current in a parallel resistor circuit is IT = I1 + I2 + I3 + ... + In, where IT is the total current and I1, I2, I3, etc. are the individual currents through each resistor.

2. How does the total current in a parallel resistor circuit compare to the current through each individual resistor?

In a parallel resistor circuit, the total current is equal to the sum of the individual currents through each resistor. This means that the total current is always greater than or equal to the current through any individual resistor.

3. What happens to the total current in a parallel resistor circuit when one resistor is removed?

If one resistor is removed from a parallel circuit, the total current will decrease. This is because the overall resistance of the circuit has increased, resulting in a decrease in current according to Ohm's Law (I = V/R).

4. How does the voltage affect the total current in a parallel resistor circuit?

The voltage has no direct effect on the total current in a parallel resistor circuit. The current through each individual resistor will be determined by the voltage and resistance of that specific resistor, but the total current will still follow the formula IT = I1 + I2 + I3 + ... + In.

5. What is the purpose of using parallel resistors in a circuit?

Using parallel resistors in a circuit allows for multiple paths for current to flow, which can decrease the overall resistance of the circuit. This can be useful in distributing current evenly or reducing the amount of heat produced by high-resistance components. Parallel resistors can also be used to create different voltage levels or to provide redundancy in case one resistor fails.

Back