Cyclotomic Polynomial Questions

• Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the conversation discusses a series of questions regarding a cyclotomic polynomial of order p-1, where p is a prime. The first question asks to show that if b is a root of this polynomial, then b, b^2, ... b^p-1 are all distinct roots. The conversation then discusses using the formula given in the wiki article and the fact that p is a prime to show that any root can generate all the others. The conversation ends with a hint on how to approach the problem, mentioning the importance of considering the relationship between the exponents and the use of a specific integer to raise the root to.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

I have a series of questions regarding a cyclotomic polynomial of order p-1 where p is a prime; so there are p total terms in this polynomial because their is a constant term. I will post the questions 1 at a time, and as soon as I work my way through one i'll post the next one in this same thread.

Let's go !

First Question: If b is a root of this cyclotomic polynomial, show that b, b^2, ... b^p-1 are all distinct roots of this polynomial

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm at a bit of a loss as where to start, Perhaps it is of note that this polynomial is irreducible, and it is the pth cyclotomic polynomial (although this means it is of order p-1 where p is a prime). I suspect that these two factoids are going to play a role in the solution to understanding why any root will generate all the other roots. Anyone have some insight for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest starting with the formula given at the start of the wiki article. Since ##p## is prime, the formula becomes
$$\Phi_{p}=\prod_{k=1}^{p-1}\Big(x-e^{2\pi i\frac kp}\Big)$$

You can use the primeness of ##p## to show that any root ##e^{2\pi i\frac kp}## can generate all the others.

Likes PsychonautQQ
Can you give me a hint on how I would show this? I understand that in the multiplicative group Z mod p, every element is a generator, and I'm aware that this must be pretty directly related to that fact, however I'm failing to completely connect the dots. The fact that p is in the denominator of the exponent is throwing me off I think, making it hard for me to see why this must be.

You're on the right track. I can't give much of a hint without giving the whole thing away. But if you think about the following two questions, there's a good chance you'll see a promising way forward.

1. If ##e^{2\pi i \frac kp}=e^{2\pi i \frac lp}## what can we say about the relationship between ##k## and ##l##?
2. If ##b=e^{2\pi i \frac kp}## and ##r## is an integer between ##1## and ##p-1## inclusive, what is ##b^r##, written as a power of ##e##?

Likes PsychonautQQ

1. What is a cyclotomic polynomial?

A cyclotomic polynomial is a type of polynomial with coefficients in the field of rational numbers. It is defined as the polynomial that is obtained by taking the product of all the distinct (n-1)th roots of unity, where n is a positive integer.

2. What is the significance of cyclotomic polynomials?

Cyclotomic polynomials have many applications in number theory, algebraic geometry, and algebraic topology. They also play a crucial role in the study of cyclotomic fields, which are number fields that contain all the roots of unity.

3. How do you compute cyclotomic polynomials?

The most common method for computing cyclotomic polynomials is by using the formula: φn(x) = (xn - 1)/(x - 1), where φn(x) is the cyclotomic polynomial of degree n. Another method is by using the recurrence relation φn(x) = φn-1(x)*φ1(xn-1 + xn-2 + ... + 1), where φ1(x) = x - 1.

4. What are some properties of cyclotomic polynomials?

Some properties of cyclotomic polynomials include the fact that they are monic, irreducible over the rationals, and symmetric. They are also closely related to the roots of unity, and their coefficients are integers with certain patterns.

5. What is the connection between cyclotomic polynomials and cyclotomic fields?

Cyclotomic fields are number fields that contain all the roots of unity, and they are closely related to cyclotomic polynomials. In fact, the roots of cyclotomic polynomials are precisely the generators of the corresponding cyclotomic fields. Additionally, the Galois group of a cyclotomic polynomial is isomorphic to the multiplicative group of units in the corresponding cyclotomic field.