Cylindrical coordinates of line through a point?

In summary, to describe the line through the point (1,1,0) and parallel to the z-axis using cylindrical coordinates, we can use the parametric equation r = √2, θ = ∏/4, z = 0. This is because the z-coordinate must be constant for a line parallel to the z-axis, and in cylindrical coordinates, the z-coordinate is represented by z = 0 in this case.
whig4life

Homework Statement

Use cylindrical coordinates to describe the line through the point (1,1,0) and parallel to the z-axis.

Homework Equations

How does one go about this? Even my course book was unclear about this. Any general overview about how to do such a question will be helpful.

The Attempt at a Solution

The z-axis is (0,0,1) while the cylindrical coordinates are (√2, ∏/4, z)

Now, is the solution in the form of and r = (√2, ∏/4, 0) + (0,0,1)t? Or am I completely lost? (haha)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a line r from the origin to the line x = 1 at some point y. Connect that point with a line r going to the origin.
What is r(y)? Or - hint - r2(y)?
Then, can you express θ in terms of y?
Finally you wind up with f(r) = (const.) + g(θ).

EDIT: oh dear, I assumed the line parallel to the y axis. Never mind ...

Last edited:
hi whig4life! :smile:
whig4life said:
The z-axis is (0,0,1)

sorry to be pernickety, but no, (0,0,1) is a point, isn't it? :wink:

while the cylindrical coordinates are (√2, ∏/4, z)

correct :smile:
Now, is the solution in the form of and r = (√2, ∏/4, 0) + (0,0,1)t? Or am I completely lost? (haha)

it depends whether you want a parametric equation or an ordinary one

the ordinary equation is r = √2, θ = ∏/4

(just as in cartesian coordinates it would be x = y = 1)

the parametric equation is not (r,θ,z) = (√2, ∏/4, 0) + (0,0,1)t

you can't add non-cartesian coordinates (try adding (1,0,0) to (1,∏,0) … do you get (2,∏,0) ?)

it's (r,θ,z) = (√2, ∏/4, …?… ) ?

I was told: The answer should probably be given in parametric form

r = something, theta = something, z = something

So, any ideas? I've exhausted all my resources trying to look for this maybe a better mind can see it more clearly.

Last edited:
hi whig4life! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)

the parametric equation would be r = √2, θ = ∏/4, z = … ?

Related to Cylindrical coordinates of line through a point?

1. What are cylindrical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are a type of coordinate system used in three-dimensional space to locate a point by its distance from a fixed point, its angle from a fixed axis, and its height or distance from a fixed plane. They are commonly used in mathematics, engineering, and physics.

2. How are cylindrical coordinates different from Cartesian coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates use a different set of variables to locate a point compared to Cartesian coordinates, which use the x, y, and z axes. Cylindrical coordinates use the radius (r), azimuthal angle (θ), and height (z) to locate a point. This system is particularly useful for describing cylindrical shapes such as cylinders, cones, and spheres.

3. How do you convert between cylindrical and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from cylindrical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, you can use the following equations:
x = r cos(θ)
y = r sin(θ)
z = z
Conversely, to convert from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates, you can use:
r = √(x² + y²)
θ = tan⁻¹(y/x)
z = z

4. How is a line represented in cylindrical coordinates?

A line can be represented in cylindrical coordinates as a set of parametric equations:
x = x₀ + t(a cos(θ))
y = y₀ + t(b sin(θ))
z = z₀ + t(c)
where (x₀, y₀, z₀) is a point on the line, (a, b, c) is the direction vector of the line, and t is a parameter that represents the distance along the line.

5. How do you find the cylindrical coordinates of a point on a line?

To find the cylindrical coordinates of a point on a line, you can use the parametric equations for the line and plug in the desired value of t. This will give you the corresponding values of r, θ, and z for that point. Alternatively, if you have the Cartesian coordinates of the point, you can convert them to cylindrical coordinates using the equations mentioned in question 3.