Cylindrical symmetric magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Stokes theorem to explain how the magnetic field decreases as 1/r when the magnetic field line pattern is cylindrical symmetric. The integration of the Maxwell equation for ## \nabla \times B ## is used to show that the line integral around a circular loop is equal to B*2*pi*r, and this is possible because of the cylindrical symmetry. The direction of J is not a strict requirement and it is often assumed to point along the z-direction in problems with cylindrical symmetry.
Maike

Homework Statement

Suppose the magnetic field line pattern is cylindrical symmetric. Explain with Stokes theorem that the field decreases like 1/r (with r the distance from the axis of the cylinder).

Homework Equations

Stokes theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of a circular loop around the axis. The line integral around this loop is B*2*pi*r. But I don't really know what I can say about the curl of B if you only know about the cylindrical symmetry.

Thanks in advance for helping me out!

Physics news on Phys.org
Integrating the Maxwell equation for ## \nabla \times B ##: ## \ ##
## \int \nabla \times B \cdot dA=\int \mu_oJ \cdot dA=\mu_o I ##. By Stokes theorem ## \int \nabla \times B \cdot dA=\oint B \cdot dl ##. One question to ask at this point-why is it that ## \oint B \cdot dl =B 2 \pi r ##? i.e. How do we know that ## B ## is constant along the path of the integral?

Thanks very much for your answer!
I think B is constant along the path because of the cylindrical symmetry. Or is that a wrong conclusion?
Are you sure by the way that ∫J⋅da = I in this case? How can you know that J and da point in the same direction? Or doesn't it matter?

Maike said:
Thanks very much for your answer!
I think B is constant along the path because of the cylindrical symmetry. Or is that a wrong conclusion?
Are you sure by the way that ∫J⋅da = I in this case? How can you know that J and da point in the same direction? Or doesn't it matter?
Yes, that is correct. ## B_{\phi} ## is constant along the circular path. ## J ## often points along the z-direction in problems with cylindrical symmetry, but it isn't a strict requirement.

Likes Maike

Related to Cylindrical symmetric magnetic field

What is a cylindrical symmetric magnetic field?

A cylindrical symmetric magnetic field is a type of magnetic field that has the same strength and direction at all points along a cylindrical surface. This means that the field lines are circular and the strength of the field is the same at any point on the cylinder.

What causes a cylindrical symmetric magnetic field?

A cylindrical symmetric magnetic field is caused by a current flowing through a long, straight wire or a solenoid, which is a coil of wire with a current running through it. The magnetic field is created by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, in the wire.

What are the applications of a cylindrical symmetric magnetic field?

Cylindrical symmetric magnetic fields have a variety of applications, including in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, particle accelerators, and magnetic levitation trains. They are also used in many everyday devices, such as speakers and electric motors.

How is the strength of a cylindrical symmetric magnetic field measured?

The strength of a magnetic field is typically measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G). For a cylindrical symmetric magnetic field, the strength is typically measured at a specific point on the cylinder, using a device called a Gaussmeter or a magnetometer.

Can a cylindrical symmetric magnetic field be turned off?

Yes, a cylindrical symmetric magnetic field can be turned off by either turning off the current in the wire or by using a material that can cancel out the magnetic field. This is often done in MRI machines to prevent the magnetic field from affecting other equipment or objects in the room.