Damping in a coupled pendulum system

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving coupled pendula and the effects of damping on the frequencies. There is mention of using an analogy with LC resonators and adding a damper in parallel with the spring to affect the "opposite" mode. It is suggested to work through the details of this approach and then consider the effects of adding arbitrary drag on each pendulum. The importance of understanding this system is also emphasized.
VVS2000
TL;DR Summary
I was going through my old lab experiments ans stumbled upon a coupled pendulum experiment I did few years ago. Now That I have learnt about damping, I was wondering how a damping which would be present in the individual pendulums affect their coupling?
The beat frequency was equal to the difference in frequencies of the two normal modes. What would be the beat frequency in the case of damping present?
Physics news on Phys.org
From analogy with LC resonators, I think the increased damping will move the two frequencies further apart.

I think you should first think about putting a damper on (in parallel with) the spring. You know intuitively only the "opposite" mode would be affected. Work that through in detail.
Then put an arbitrary drag on each pendulum and work it out.
If you really understand this system you are looking at half of known physics IMHO. We use it over and over.

Likes DrClaude

1. What is damping in a coupled pendulum system?

Damping in a coupled pendulum system refers to the process of reducing or dissipating the energy of the oscillations in the system. It is a crucial factor in determining the behavior and stability of the pendulum system.

2. How does damping affect the motion of the pendulums?

Damping affects the motion of the pendulums by reducing the amplitude of the oscillations over time. This means that the pendulums will swing with decreasing intensity until they come to a stop, rather than swinging with the same intensity indefinitely.

3. What are the different types of damping in a coupled pendulum system?

There are three main types of damping in a coupled pendulum system: viscous damping, Coulomb damping, and structural damping. Viscous damping is caused by the resistance of a fluid or air, Coulomb damping is caused by friction between moving parts, and structural damping is caused by internal friction within the material of the pendulums.

4. How can damping be controlled in a coupled pendulum system?

Damping can be controlled in a coupled pendulum system by adjusting the physical properties of the pendulums, such as their mass, length, and material. Additionally, external damping mechanisms, such as air resistance or frictional forces, can also be added to the system to control the level of damping.

5. What is the role of damping in a coupled pendulum system?

The role of damping in a coupled pendulum system is to regulate the energy of the oscillations and prevent the system from becoming unstable. It also helps to reduce the amplitude of the oscillations, making the system more predictable and controllable.