Debunking the Mathematical Proof Against the Big Bang Theory

• Thread starter Mark D
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hello
In summary, the Creationist claims that he has devised a mathematical proof that makes the Big Bang "problematic." He does not explain in detail what this proof is, but his basic premise, that the universe began at t=0, at the singularity, is not what the big bang theory says.
Mark D
Hi, new to the forums. :-)

I was recently involved in a discussion with a Creationist who claimed he'd devised "mathematical proof" that made the Big Bang "problematic." Here's what he wrote:

"The general consensus regarding the "big bang" theory is that the universe began as a singularity that suddenly expanded into the universe we know today. This in and of itself poses no problems with physics. However, if we consider that this expansion would have a probability of occurring every moment, this is where the problem lies. The probability can fall into one of two categories, either P=0 or P>0. For P=0 we find that the universe would be infinitly aged, which is no issue, however the problem here lies in the fact that with P=0 the expansion would have never occured. If we consider a system in which P>0, no matter how close to 0, the expansion would occur after a FINITE amount of time, which would imply there is a point at which the universe was actually created, or some other event that set this system up (in which case we refer back to the beginning, with the exact same situation). While this in NO WAY disproves the big bang theory, it does raise questions."

Maybe I'm overthinking it and that he really is making the simplistic and dumb case that I think he is? Any ideas what this means? Have you heard this line before?

Thanks!

Space news on Phys.org
Thread closed for Moderation...

Hi Mark.

Unfortunately we do not debunk non-scientific claims here, including those that fall under creationism. The basic reason why we do not allow this is because it tends to attract 'crackpots' and other folks who will not listen to reason or accept scientific evidence that runs counter to their beliefs. The one thing I will say on the subject is that his basic premise, that the universe began at t=0, at the singularity, is not what the big bang theory says. Its predictive powers simply do not cover t=0, and cosmologists are actively working to develop new theories and gather new evidence in an effort to understand where the universe came from and what it was like.

If you would like to learn more about the big bang theory then I encourage you to browse around here in Cosmology forum. I've also attached a link to the big bang FAQ of the Talk Origins Archive and Ned Wright's cosmology FAQ, which may clear up a few misconceptions you or your friend may have.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/astronomy/bigbang.html
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmology_faq.html

Thanks for your time.

Likes berkeman and Bandersnatch

What is the meaning of "Hello and translate this arglebargle"?

The phrase "Hello and translate this arglebargle" does not have a specific meaning as it is a made-up word. It is often used as a nonsensical phrase to test translation software or to demonstrate the importance of accurate translation.

What language is "Hello and translate this arglebargle" in?

The phrase "Hello and translate this arglebargle" is not in any specific language as it is a made-up word. It can be translated into any language, but the translation will not have a specific meaning.

Why is "Hello and translate this arglebargle" used as a test phrase for translation software?

"Hello and translate this arglebargle" is often used as a test phrase for translation software because it does not have a specific meaning or context. This allows for a more accurate assessment of the software's ability to accurately translate words without relying on context clues.

What does "arglebargle" mean?

"Arglebargle" is a nonsensical word that does not have a specific meaning. It is often used as a synonym for gibberish or meaningless talk.

Can "Hello and translate this arglebargle" be translated accurately?

Since "Hello and translate this arglebargle" does not have a specific meaning or context, it can be translated accurately by translation software. However, the translation will not have a specific meaning and may not make sense in the translated language.