Define: pushing when working out

• Thread starter Skhandelwal
  • Start date
In summary, "pushing" when working out refers to exerting oneself beyond the point of comfort or normal fatigue. This can lead to the buildup of lactic acid in the muscles, which can aid in providing energy in anaerobic environments. However, pushing oneself too far can lead to exhaustion and potential injury. With proper conditioning, one should not feel fatigued after a workout, but if one does, it could be a sign of pushing oneself too hard.
Skhandelwal
Define: "pushing" when working out

According to this article: http://www.edu.nsu.ru/health/work/vorobtsova.doc
We get tired b/c we poison ourself with that kinda chemical. What I am trying to figure out is that why does our body poison itself? To identify the need for more energy? What if we keep injecting ourself with minerals, etc. Can we work out forever?

One more question, what happens when we really push ourself? I mean our lack of hormones indicate that we need rest but chemically, what actually goes on when we chose to decline the message? I mean sometimes, its even an illusion. For instance, let's say a person just got back from his honeymoon, his mucles are not worked at all compared to a heavy duty gym. But still, he feels pretty tired. If he forces himself to workout now, he is more vulnerable to injury then he would have been if it the message was sent via hormones instead electrically I believe. But why?

Thx.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
you might want to copy and paste that as a message in this thread. A lot of people are wary of opening data files on the internet.

Milk acid is lactic acid which results from anaerobic metabolism in the muscle, which occurs when the blood cannot supply sufficient oxygen to the particular muscle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycolysis#Anaerobic_respiration
http://muscle.ucsd.edu/musintro/glucose.shtml

It is not a poison in the system.

But how does lactic acid helps the muscle gain energy and makes it liable to injury?
Also, this indicates that even though, a lot of body builder and athletic achievers prefer pushing oneself through tiresome, not injury. It seems like even in tiresome, pushing is always a bad thing. However, there have been cases where I have pushed myself and ended up with pumping energy, its like my energy restarts. So if the oxygen can't get to my muscles, then do the blood vessels starts thickening slowly and slowly for the demand? But I guess the downside would be the aches that we feel when we are done and the rush is over, right? Even though we might not feel it sometime, things like Muscle knots, etc. result which we might not realize...concluding pushing oneself is never a good idea. Tell me if I am wrong.

Thx.

Last edited:
Pythagorean said:
you might want to copy and paste that as a message in this thread. A lot of people are wary of opening data files on the internet.
I've deleted the post where Skhandelwal complied with this request due to copyright infringement issues. The original article contains much hand-waving and misinformation, so is really not worthwhile reading anyway.

Skhandelwal said:
But how does lactic acid helps the muscle gain energy and makes it liable to injury?
Why do you think it makes it liable to injury? I know of no such relationship. Lactic acid does aid in providing energy in anaerobic environments, as Astronuc mentioned. It's the body calling upon an alternative biochemical pathway to provide energy to maintain muscle function. Consider this in evolutionary context rather than in the too hard of a workout context. If you are in danger and need to escape that situation, be it running from a predator, or completing the climb out of a canyon about to flood, or trying to get to shelter from an approaching storm, you want your muscles to keep working...you don't care how badly they ache and how long you need to rest and recover once you're in safety, but they need to work to get you to safety. Your body will undergo many other physiological adjustments first, to provide sufficient oxygenated blood to the muscles to maintain aerobic function and this includes increasing your heart rate, your respiratory rate, and vasodilation. If you keep pushing your body further, and just cannot supply the needed oxygen to your muscles, they shift to the anaerobic pathways to provide energy because there isn't enough oxygen to maintain the aerobic pathway. Ultimately, for muscles, the energy you are using is ATP broken down to ADP, and it's the breaking of that phosphate bond that provides the energy to the cell. This is still occurring in anaerobic pathways. These pathways can be found in just about any biology or biochemistry textbook, along with the description of when they are used by organisms, so you can look them up in more detail there to see where the energy is being supplied. The body will eventually rid itself of the excess lactic acid built up.

Can we work out forever?
In answer to this question, no. Eventually, you will reach complete exhaustion, where even anaerobic pathways are unable to provide enough energy to keep you going. When this happens, you will collapse. If you push yourself this far, it can be life threatening. Your body at that point is shutting down peripheral functions in order to maintain core body functions (brain, heart, liver), but with your energy reserves severely depleted, you may not have enough left to survive long without medical intervention.

But what is it that makes us tired? I mean as you mentioned, getting tired is the same as muscle starving for oxygen and other organs starving for energy comes from nutrients, etc. However, once you worked out a lot, eat, why do you still feel fatigue? I mean you are not working out right now, so your muscles are getting enough oxygen and nutrients.

I used to play soccer (football) for 2 hrs during which I ran nearly the full length of the field numerous times. After the game I did not feel fatigued. Nor after running 3-5 miles with a sprint at the end.

The only times I did feel fatigued was running a 400 m (440 yd) race as fast as possible, or climbing in the mountains (above 10,000 ft / 3300 m) with a quick ascent and little rest.

When the body is properly conditioned, one does not feel tired or fatigued, except possibly pushing oneself to new levels in terms of distance and speed.

If that's true then how can a man feel fatigue after his honeymoon?(assuming he didn't unnecarily push himself) ;-)

oh that is not reaily fatigue. that is either he is just exhausted for that he is too happy. people can have there own (place) when they are to happy. they will just swap to there own 'place/dimension' and just relax and maybe collaspe. no it is not fatigue though

So are you saying amount of sperm lost has nothing to do with stamina?

1. What does it mean to "push" when working out?

Pushing when working out refers to exerting force against resistance in order to increase muscle strength and endurance. This can be achieved through various exercises such as push-ups, bench presses, or shoulder presses.

2. Why is pushing important in a workout?

Pushing is important in a workout because it helps to build muscle strength and endurance, which can improve overall physical fitness and performance. It also helps to challenge and push the body beyond its current capabilities, leading to muscle growth and progress in fitness goals.

3. Is pushing the same as lifting weights?

While pushing and lifting weights both involve exerting force against resistance, they are not exactly the same. Pushing typically involves using your own body weight or a fixed object as resistance, while lifting weights involves using external weights such as dumbbells or barbells.

4. Is there a difference between pushing and pulling in a workout?

Yes, there is a difference between pushing and pulling in a workout. Pushing refers to exercises where the direction of force is away from the body, such as with a push-up or a shoulder press. Pulling, on the other hand, refers to exercises where the direction of force is towards the body, such as with a pull-up or a rowing motion.

5. How can I improve my pushing strength?

To improve your pushing strength, you can incorporate exercises that target the muscles used in pushing, such as the chest, shoulders, and triceps. It is also important to gradually increase the weight or resistance used in these exercises to continue challenging your muscles and promoting growth. Proper form and technique are also crucial in developing pushing strength.