Definition of a non-polar molecule

In summary: But, if we use a formula to get the center of charges i.e. protons, won't it coincide with the center of charge distribution of protons? So, we don't start with nucleus being a point charge.Yes, that is correct.
vcsharp2003
Homework Statement
Which of the following definitions is the correct definition of a non-polar molecule?

(a) A molecule in which the center of mass of positive charges (i.e. protons) coincides with the center of mass of negative charges (i.e. electrons)

(b) A molecule in which the center of the positive charge distribution coincides with the center of the negative charge distribution
Relevant Equations
None
I think definition (a) is not correct since the center of charge distribution rather than mass distribution is important here. The correct definition is the one given in (b).

I am thinking that a distribution of charge will have a center of charge ##(x_c,y_c,z_c)## for -ve charges according to following equations ##x_c = \dfrac { \Sigma {q_ix_i}} {\Sigma {q_i}}##, ##y_c = \dfrac { \Sigma {q_iy_i}} {\Sigma {q_i}}## and ##z_c = \dfrac { \Sigma {q_iz_i}} {\Sigma {q_i}}##, where ##q_i## is the absolute value of the magnitude of individual -ve charges. The same formulas can be used for center of positive charge distribution provided ##q_i## is a +ve charge. This center of charge distribution according to above formulas need not necessarily coincide with the center of mass of the charges.

I have used the below formulas of center of mass to come up with the formulas for center of charge distribution. The center of mass distribution ##(x_c,y_c,z_c)## would be given by ##x_c = \dfrac { \Sigma {m_ix_i}} {\Sigma {m_i}}##, ##y_c = \dfrac { \Sigma {m_iy_i}} {\Sigma {m_i}}## and ##z_c = \dfrac { \Sigma {m_iz_i}} {\Sigma {m_i}}##

I am not sure if the formulas for center of charge distribution that I have come up with are correct Also, not sure if definition (a) is an incorrect definition.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you that (a) is incorrect. Your formulas for centre of charge distribution look correct to me, except that they need to restrict the sums to only positive charges for the positive centre, and negative charges for the negative centre. One way to do that is to replace ##q_i## by ##\max(0, q_i)## in both the numerator and denominator in the formula for positive centre, and by ##\min(0,q_i)## for negative centre.

Likes vcsharp2003
andrewkirk said:
I agree with you that (a) is incorrect. Your formulas for centre of charge distribution look correct to me, except that they need to restrict the sums to only positive charges for the positive centre, and negative charges for the negative centre. One way to do that is to replace ##q_i## by ##\max(0, q_i)## in both the numerator and denominator in the formula for positive centre, and by ##\min(0,q_i)## for negative centre.
After giving it some more thought, it seems to me that center of mass for the +ve charges would coincide with their center of charge distribution. The same would also apply to the -ve charges. The reason why I say this is because the charge to mass ratio ##k## is a constant for a proton and also a constant for an electron, and therefore if one substitutes ##q_i= km_i## in the formulas for the center of charge distribution that I gave in my OP, then the factor ##k## will cancel in the numerator and denominator leaving us with the same formulas as those of the center of mass.

Does above sound correct?

vcsharp2003 said:
After giving it some more thought, it seems to me that center of mass for the +ve charges would coincide with their center of charge distribution. The same would also apply to the -ve charges. The reason why I say this is because the charge to mass ratio ##k## is a constant for a proton and also a constant for an electron, and therefore if one substitutes ##q_i= km_i## in the formulas for the center of charge distribution that I gave in my OP, then the factor ##k## will cancel in the numerator and denominator leaving us with the same formulas as those of the center of mass.

It would certainly be approximately correct. I'm not sure whether it would be exactly correct. In nuclear reactions the number of nucleons does not change but the total weight of the nuclei does. So I am not sure we can assume that protons always weigh the same regardless of what type of nucleus they are in.
I'd stick with the charge-based definition. There's just no need to introduce the concept of mass, and it might cause problems.

Likes vcsharp2003
vcsharp2003 said:
After giving it some more thought, it seems to me that center of mass for the +ve charges would coincide with their center of charge distribution. The same would also apply to the -ve charges. . .

Yes, it sounds correct to me. The question seems poorly written as both choices (a) and (b) can be interpreted as true.

Likes vcsharp2003
One usually takes the nucleus to be a point charge, so in that case the centre of mass often differs from the centre of positive charge.

Likes vcsharp2003
DrClaude said:
One usually takes the nucleus to be a point charge, so in that case the centre of mass often differs from the centre of positive charge.
But, if we use a formula to get the center of charges i.e. protons, won't it coincide with the center of charge distribution of protons? So, we don't start with nucleus being a point charge.

vcsharp2003 said:
But, if we use a formula to get the center of charges i.e. protons, won't it coincide with the center of charge distribution of protons? So, we don't start with nucleus being a point charge.
Yes. My point was that this is not how things are usually done (you don't consider individual protons).

I should also have added that I have never seen a definition of a dipole moment that took into account the mass of the charges.

Likes vcsharp2003

What is a non-polar molecule?

A non-polar molecule is a molecule that has an equal distribution of charge, meaning that the positive and negative charges cancel each other out. This results in a neutral overall charge for the molecule.

How is a non-polar molecule different from a polar molecule?

A polar molecule has an uneven distribution of charge, resulting in a slightly positive and slightly negative end. This creates a dipole moment and makes the molecule polar, unlike a non-polar molecule which has no dipole moment.

What are some examples of non-polar molecules?

Some common examples of non-polar molecules include carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4), and oxygen (O2). These molecules have a symmetrical shape and no polar bonds, making them non-polar.

How is the polarity of a molecule determined?

The polarity of a molecule is determined by its molecular geometry and the polarity of its bonds. If the molecule has a symmetrical shape and all the bonds are non-polar, then it will be a non-polar molecule.

What are the properties of non-polar molecules?

Non-polar molecules are typically hydrophobic, meaning they do not mix well with water. They also have low melting and boiling points and do not conduct electricity. Non-polar molecules are often found in non-polar solvents, such as oils and fats.