Degeneracy of energy levels greater than no. of particles?

In summary, zeemansky states that it is easy to see that for a closed system the number of degenerate states is greater than the number of particles occupying that energy state. However, a proof would be even better.
weezy
From statistical mechanics in zeemansky's book . He states that it's easy to see that for a closed system the no. Of degenerate states ##g_i## for energy level ##E_i## is greater than the number of particles ##N_i##occupying that energy state. I can't find a mathematical proof for it. Can I get any hints on how to prove this? A proof would be even better.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you give an exact quote?

"However close they may be, there is still only a finite number of discrete energy levels for the atoms of an ideal gas. It is the fundamental problem of statistical mechanics to determine, at the equilibrium, the populations of these energy levels - that is, the number of particles ##N_1## having energy ##\epsilon_1##, the number of particles ##N_2## having energy ##\epsilon_2##, and so on. It is a simple matter to show (see Prob 13.4) that the number of quantum states ##g_i## corresponding to energy level ##\epsilon_i## (the degeneracy of this level) is very much larger than the number of particles ##N_i## occupying that the level at room temperature, Thus: ##g_i >> N_i##

This is problem 13.4:

Show that, when N ideal-gas atoms come to equilibrium,
$$\frac{g_i}{N_i} = \frac{Z}{N}e^{\frac{\epsilon_i}{kT}}$$ and $$\frac{Z}{N}=\frac{(kT)^{5/2}}{P} \left( \frac{2\pi m}{h^2} \right)^{3/2}$$

Z seems to be the partition function

This has now become a homework-type problem. For further help with this precise statement, you will have have to open a new thread in a homework forum and have an attempt at a solution. And yes, ##Z## is the partition function.

DrClaude said:
This has now become a homework-type problem. For further help with this precise statement, you will have have to open a new thread in a homework forum and have an attempt at a solution. And yes, ##Z## is the partition function.
Okay.

Related to Degeneracy of energy levels greater than no. of particles?

1. What is degeneracy of energy levels?

Degeneracy of energy levels refers to the phenomenon where multiple energy states have the same energy value. This can occur in systems with more than one particle, leading to degenerate energy levels.

2. How does degeneracy of energy levels affect particles?

Degeneracy of energy levels can affect particles by allowing for multiple particles to occupy the same energy state. This can lead to a higher number of possible energy configurations for a given system.

3. Can degeneracy of energy levels be observed in real-world systems?

Yes, degeneracy of energy levels has been observed in various real-world systems, such as atoms, molecules, and even macroscopic systems like solids and gases.

4. What causes degeneracy of energy levels?

Degeneracy of energy levels can be caused by various factors, such as symmetries in the system, interactions between particles, and external fields. In some cases, it may also be a consequence of the underlying mathematical equations used to describe the system.

5. How does degeneracy of energy levels relate to quantum mechanics?

Degeneracy of energy levels is a concept that arises from quantum mechanics, as it explains the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels. The principles of quantum mechanics, such as the uncertainty principle, play a role in determining the degeneracy of energy levels in a system.