Partition Function and Degeneracy

In summary, the two different approaches give different answers because the second approach takes into account the degeneracy of energy level i.
stevendaryl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
There doesn't seem to be a forum that is specifically about statistical mechanics, so I'm posting this question here. I apologize for the long-winded introduction, but I think it's needed to provide context for my question:

If you have a discrete collection of single-particle energy levels [itex]\epsilon_i[/itex], then the grand canonical partition function (for noninteracting particles) is defined by:

[itex]\mathcal{Z}(\mu, \beta) = \sum_i \sum_{N_i} exp(N_i \beta(\mu - \epsilon_i))[/itex]
[itex]= \sum_i \sum_{N_i} exp(\beta(\mu - \epsilon_i))^{N_i} [/itex]

where [itex]N_i[/itex] is the occupancy number: the number of particles in state [itex]i[/itex]. To get Bose statistics, the allowable values for [itex]N_i[/itex] are [itex]N_i = 0, 1, 2, ...[/itex], leading to

[itex]\mathcal{Z}(\mu, \beta) = \sum_i \dfrac{1}{1 - exp(\beta(\mu - \epsilon_i))}[/itex]

(because [itex]1+x+x^2 + ... = \frac{1}{1-x}[/itex])

For Fermi statistics, the only possible values for [itex]N_i[/itex] are [itex]N_i = 0, 1[/itex], leading to:

[itex]\mathcal{Z}(\mu, \beta) = \sum_i (1 + exp(\beta(\mu - \epsilon_i)))[/itex]

Here's the question: Suppose that the energy levels for an electron are independent of spin direction. That means that for every single-particle state, there is a second state with the same energy and opposite spin state. Then it seems to me that there are two different ways to take this degeneracy into account:

(1) Replace [itex]\sum_i ...[/itex] by [itex]\sum_i g_i ...[/itex], where [itex]g_i[/itex] is the degeneracy of energy level [itex]i[/itex], and where the index [itex]i[/itex] ranges only over states with distinct energies. In this case, [itex]g_i = 2[/itex], so the result is just to multiple [itex]\mathcal{Z}[/itex] by 2.

(2) Modify the allowable occupancy number [itex]N_i[/itex] to range from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]g_i[/itex], rather than just 0 or 1.

These two approaches give different answers, but I don't understand, physically, why. It seems that the only thing that should be important is how many electrons can have energy [itex]\epsilon_i[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
The second approach would require the states with the same number of electrons in such a state to be indistinguishable, but "electron up" and "electron down" are different things.

Thank you.

1. What is the partition function?

The partition function, denoted as Z, is a concept in statistical mechanics that describes the distribution of energy among the possible quantum states of a system. It is a mathematical tool that allows us to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system, such as its internal energy, entropy, and free energy.

2. How is the partition function related to degeneracy?

The degeneracy, or degenerate states, of a system refers to the number of ways in which energy can be distributed among the available quantum states. The partition function takes into account the degeneracy of each state and sums up all the possible energy distributions to give the total number of microstates for a given system.

3. What is the significance of the partition function in thermodynamics?

The partition function is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics as it allows us to calculate macroscopic properties of a system, such as temperature and pressure, from the microscopic behavior of its constituent particles. It also helps us understand the thermodynamic behavior of complex systems and phase transitions.

4. How is the partition function calculated?

The partition function is calculated by summing over all the possible energy states of a system, weighted by their respective degeneracies and Boltzmann factors. In some cases, it can also be expressed as a product of partition functions for individual subsystems.

5. Can the partition function be used for classical as well as quantum systems?

Yes, the partition function can be applied to both classical and quantum systems. In classical mechanics, it is used to describe the distribution of energy among the different possible states of a system. In quantum mechanics, it is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular energy state.