Derivative of Inverse Function

In summary, James attempted to solve a derivative equation involving the inverse of a function, but was not able to figure out how to evaluate the inverse at the same x value. He tried a few numbers and eventually just guessed. He plotted the graph of y = x^5+2x+1 over a modest x-range and was able to approximate the solution. Alternately, he tried using the rational root theorem on the equation x^5+2x−3=0. After getting the solution, he realized that this was a problem that he solved before and was able to recall the steps.
James Brady

Homework Statement

Suppose ##f(x) = x^5 + 2x + 1## and ##f^{-1}## is the inverse of function f. Evaluate ##f^{-1}(4)##

solution: 1/7

Homework Equations

##(f^{-1}(x))=\frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use my calculator's solve function to get the solution of ##4 = 5x^4 + 2##, so the value of x when the derivative is equal to 4. I then took the inverse of this. Sort of still grasping in the dark right now tho.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem statement says you have to:
James Brady said:
... Evaluate ##f^{-1}(4)##
Note: ##f^{-1}(f(x))=x \implies f^{-1}(4) = x:f(x)=4##
Why were you computing a derivative?

There's something fishy in the combination problem statement ##\leftrightarrow ## solution 1/7 . James ?

Likes PeroK
My mistake guys,

The problem statement asks for ##(f^{-1})^{'}(4)##

James Brady said:
My mistake guys,

The problem statement asks for ##(f^{-1})^{'}(4)##

The relevant equation you posted is not that useful, as it involves ##f'##. You need something similar involving ##(f^{-1})'##.

So you don't want to solve for 'derivative = 4' but you want to evaluate the derivative at the point where the function value is 4 !

[edit] perok: he had a ##\ ## ' ##\ ## missing in
##(f^{-1}(x))=\frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}## ; should've been $$
(f^{-1}(x))'=\frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}$$

Hmmm. ##f^{'} = 5x^4+2## and ##f^{'}(4)= 1282##

So I have the derivative of of the function itself at a certain x value. But I'm not sure how I can translate that into finding the derivative of the inverse at the same x value.

Again: you don't want to evaluate the derivative at the point x = 4 but at the point f-1(4)

Do you understand the relationship $$
(f^{-1}(x))'=\frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}\ \ \rm ?$$

I understand this relationship, but I do not know how I can evaluate ##f^{'}(4)## since I can't figure out how to get the inverse of the original function. Plugging in for ##y=x^5 + 2x + 1##, I can't figure out how I would be able to solve for x in terms of y.

James Brady said:
I understand this relationship, but I do not know how I can evaluate ##f^{'}(4)## since I can't figure out how to get the inverse of the original function. Plugging in for ##y=x^5 + 2x + 1##, I can't figure out how I would be able to solve for x in terms of y.

You could always just take a guess!

Likes James Brady
James Brady said:
Try a few numbers, or do bisection ( f(0) = 1, f(2) >> 4 so...)

And again (again) :
James Brady said:
but I do not know how I can evaluate f′(4)
You don't want that. You want ##f'(f^{-1}(4))## !

Likes James Brady
James Brady said:
Plot the graph of ##y = x^5+2x+1## over some modest ##x##-range; that will give you a good feeling for approximately where you have the solution of ##f(x)=4.## Alternately you can try using the "rational root theorem" on the equation ##x^5 + 2x - 3 = 0.## (Once you get the solution you will wonder why you did not see it right away!)

Likes James Brady
BvU said:
You don't want that. You want f′(f−1(4))f'(f^{-1}(4)) !

Thanks guys, I guess I just really needed to sleep on it, judging by my sloppiness. Coming back today, I can see where you all were going:

##(f^{-1}(x))^{'} = \frac{1}{f^{'}(f^{-1}(x))}##

First thing, we solve the interior function on the RHS, or ##4 = x^5 + 2x +1##. I used the numerical solver on the calculator, but I see now that 1 could be obvious if you take a step back for a second. After that, we're no longer working with inverses, the derivative function ##f^{'}(x) = 5x^4 + 2## taken at x = 1. One over that and boom.

Thanks again for your patience.

Likes BvU
James Brady said:
I guess I just really needed to sleep on it
Important learning experience: brains are a lot like muscles, they need to recover from time to time or else things go sour. Sometimes dropping your pencil and doing some R&R is the quickest way to achieve some progress when stuck with a problem.

What is the derivative of an inverse function?

The derivative of an inverse function is the reciprocal of the derivative of the original function. In other words, if the derivative of the original function is f'(x), then the derivative of the inverse function is 1/f'(x).

How do you find the derivative of an inverse function?

To find the derivative of an inverse function, you can use the formula: (f^-1)'(x) = 1/f'(f^-1(x)). Alternatively, you can use the inverse function rule, which states that if y = f^-1(x), then f'(f^-1(x)) = 1/f'(x).

What is the relationship between the derivatives of a function and its inverse?

The derivatives of a function and its inverse are related by the fact that they are reciprocals of each other. This means that as the derivative of the original function increases, the derivative of the inverse function decreases and vice versa.

What is the importance of understanding the derivative of an inverse function?

Understanding the derivative of an inverse function is important in many areas of mathematics and science. It allows us to find the slope of a curve at a specific point, determine the rate of change of a function, and solve optimization problems.

Can you give an example of finding the derivative of an inverse function?

One example is finding the derivative of the inverse of the function f(x) = 2x + 3. First, we find the derivative of f(x) which is f'(x) = 2. Then, we use the formula (f^-1)'(x) = 1/f'(f^-1(x)), and since the inverse of f(x) is f^-1(x) = (x-3)/2, we can find the derivative of the inverse as (f^-1)'(x) = 1/2(x-3)/2 = 1/(x-3).