How do I derive this vector calculus identity?

In summary, the given equation can be obtained through the use of suffix notation and the identities ##\mathcal{I}_{ij} = \delta_{ij}## and ##(\mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b})_i = \epsilon_{ijk}a_jb_k## along with the identity ##\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{kpq} = \delta_{ip}\delta_{jq} - \delta_{iq}\delta_{jp}##. The use of these identities allows for the simplification and rearrangement of terms to arrive at the desired equation.
Bright Liu
Homework Statement
As the title says, how can I get this equation?
Relevant Equations
tensor analysis
##(\nabla\times\vec B) \times \vec B=\nabla \cdot (\vec B\vec B -\frac 1 2B^2\mathcal I)-(\nabla \cdot \vec B)\vec B##
##\mathcal I## is the unit tensor

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to know these.
$$\mathbf a\times(\mathbf b\times\mathbf c)=\mathbf b(\mathbf a\cdot\mathbf c)-\mathbf c(\mathbf a\cdot\mathbf b)$$$$\mathbf a\cdot(\mathbf b\times\mathbf c)=\mathbf b\cdot(\mathbf c\times\mathbf a)=\mathbf c\cdot(\mathbf a\times\mathbf b)$$

Likes etotheipi
Also note that since ##\mathbf{u} \times \mathbf{v} = -\mathbf{v}\times \mathbf{u}##, you have$$\begin{align*}(\mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b}) \times \mathbf{c} &= - \mathbf{c} \times (\mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b})\\ \\
&= \mathbf{a} (-\mathbf{c} \cdot \mathbf{b}) - \mathbf{b}(-\mathbf{c} \cdot \mathbf{a}) = -\mathbf{a}(\mathbf{c} \cdot \mathbf{b}) + \mathbf{b}(\mathbf{c} \cdot \mathbf{a})
\end{align*}$$

Likes archaic
etotheipi said:
Also note that since ##\mathbf{u} \times \mathbf{v} = -\mathbf{v}\times \mathbf{u}##, you have$$\begin{align*}(\mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b}) \times \mathbf{c} &= - \mathbf{c} \times (\mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b})\\ \\
&= \mathbf{a} (-\mathbf{c} \cdot \mathbf{b}) - \mathbf{b}(-\mathbf{c} \cdot \mathbf{a}) = -\mathbf{a}(\mathbf{c} \cdot \mathbf{b}) + \mathbf{b}(\mathbf{c} \cdot \mathbf{a})
\end{align*}$$
Yes, but you cannot do that with a vector operator. ##\nabla\times\vec A## is not ##-\vec A\times\nabla##.
There’s a page of useful looking identities and their derivations at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_calculus_identities, but I do not see any that apply easily here.

Likes etotheipi
Bright Liu said:
Homework Statement:: As the title says, how can I get this equation?
Relevant Equations:: tensor analysis

##(\nabla\times\vec B) \times \vec B=\nabla \cdot (\vec B\vec B -\frac 1 2B^2\mathcal I)-(\nabla \cdot \vec B)\vec B##
##\mathcal I## is the unit tensor

Suffix notation is generally the best method (this being a more efficient form of "show that each cartesian component of the left hand side is equal to the corresponding cartesian component of the right hand side").

In particular, [tex]
\mathcal{I}_{ij} = \delta_{ij} = \begin{cases} 1 & i = j \\ 0 & i \neq j \end{cases}[/tex] and
[tex]
(\mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b})_i = \epsilon_{ijk}a_jb_k[/tex] where [tex]
\epsilon_{ijk} = \begin{cases} 1 & \mbox{$(i,j,k)$ is an even permutation of (1,2,3)} \\
-1 & \mbox{$(i,j,k)$ is an odd permutation of (1,2,3)} \\
0 & \mbox{otherwise}\end{cases}[/tex] together with the identity [tex]
\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{kpq} = \delta_{ip}\delta_{jq} - \delta_{iq}\delta_{jp}[/tex]

Likes etotheipi
haruspex said:
Yes, but you cannot do that with a vector operator. ##\nabla\times\vec A## is not ##-\vec A\times\nabla##.
There’s a page of useful looking identities and their derivations at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_calculus_identities, but I do not see any that apply easily here.

Interesting, you're right! My previous, naïve, view was that so long as you work with Cartesian components then it's generally safe to treat ##\nabla \equiv
\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{\partial}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial}{\partial y} & \frac{\partial}{\partial z}
\end{pmatrix}^T##, however you are certainly correct that it doesn't work here, considering that the order of the ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}## and the ##A_j## definitely matters.

In that case, I'll step back and see how yourself and @pasmith approach the problem, for fear of misleading the OP. Working with the components as mentioned in #5 seems like a good idea!

Likes archaic

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector fields, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It involves the use of vectors and their derivatives to solve problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

2. How do I derive a vector calculus identity?

To derive a vector calculus identity, you will need to use various vector calculus operations such as vector addition, scalar multiplication, dot product, cross product, and vector differentiation. You will also need to apply the rules of calculus, such as the chain rule and product rule, to simplify the expression and obtain the final result.

3. What are some common vector calculus identities?

Some common vector calculus identities include the gradient, divergence, and curl identities, which relate to the operations of gradient, divergence, and curl respectively. Other identities include the vector triple product, vector Laplacian, and vector Green's theorem.

4. What are the applications of vector calculus?

Vector calculus has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and economics. It is used to model and analyze physical systems, calculate electric and magnetic fields, and solve optimization problems, among others.

5. How can I improve my understanding of vector calculus identities?

To improve your understanding of vector calculus identities, it is important to practice solving problems and working with vector operations. You can also refer to textbooks, online resources, and seek help from a tutor or mentor. It is also helpful to visualize vector fields and their derivatives to better understand the concepts.