Desperate! Circular motion - Acceleration and Velocity Analysis

In summary: Well, for 45º, for example, you need v2/r = dv/dt, so v= … ? :smile:How about a 30 degree angle ?How about a 30 degree angle ?In summary, the particles in a circular motion move at a speed of 20 m/s, 30 m/s, and 50 m/s. At each speed, the acceleration is in a different direction. The vector of acceleration points in a specific direction, depending on the speed.
nns91
Desperate ! Circular motion

Homework Statement

Particles travels counterclockwise in circles of radius 5m. The accleration vectors are indicated at three specific times. Find the values of v and dv/dt at each time.

a. a=20 m/s^2 . vector a points toward the center of the circle, vector v tangent to the circle

b. a=30 m/s^2. vector a points toward the center of the circle at a 30 degree angle in the direction of motion ( so imagine the case a, vector a point directly to the center, this case vector a and the vector a in part a creates a 30 degree)

c. a= 50 m/s^2. vector a creates a 45 degree angle clockwise with the radius.

Homework Equations

a=mv^2/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that it's confusing. Please give some input. if you guys are unclear I can explain more.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi nns91! :smile:

(have a theta: θ :wink:)

I assume you know how to do a., using centripetal acceleration.

ok, for the others, you have the usual centripetal acceleration formula, and you also need to calculate the tangential acceleration (for constant r, that's at = rθ'' = v').

Acceleration is a vector, so you add accelerations just like velocities … add the centripetal and tangential accelerations, to get the required angle. :wink:

Thanks.

I know acentripetal=mv2/2

The tangential part confuses me the most. How can I calculate it from that formula at=r[tex]\theta[/tex]'=v' ??

What do you mean by to get the require angle ?

nns91 said:
Thanks.

I know acentripetal=mv2/2

The tangential part confuses me the most. How can I calculate it from that formula at=r[tex]\theta[/tex]'=v' ??

What do you mean by to get the require angle ?

Hi nns91! :smile:

(why didn't you use that θ i gave you? :rolleyes:)

at = dv/dt, which you get from the question.

And if you want the total acceleration to be at 45º, for example, then obviously you need the centipetal acceleration to be equal to the tangential acceleration … just like adding velocities! :wink:

But I don't have time ? so how can I get dv/dt ?

nns91 said:
But I don't have time ? so how can I get dv/dt ?

Well, for 45º, for example, you need v2/r = dv/dt, so v = … ? :smile:

How about a 30 degree angle ?

nns91 said:
How about a 30 degree angle ?

Oi! Do it yourself!

I mean I still have not fully understand.

So they give a=20 m/s^2 in part a.

Thus: v=sqrt(ar)= sqrt(20*5)= 10 m/s

Is that right ??

I still don't understand the calculation of acceleration

nns91 said:
So they give a=20 m/s^2 in part a.

Thus: v=sqrt(ar)= sqrt(20*5)= 10 m/s

Is that right ??

That's right. :smile:

Now try c.

c.

v= sqrt(a*r)=sqrt(50.5)= 15.8 m/s ??

So I got v.

How then can I calculate dv/dt ?

1. What is desperate circular motion?

Desperate circular motion refers to the motion of an object that is moving in a circular path with increasing speed, often due to a desperate attempt to escape or avoid something.

2. What causes desperate circular motion?

Desperate circular motion can be caused by a variety of factors, such as external forces acting on the object or changes in the object's environment. It can also be a result of a conscious decision made by the object to move in a circular path.

3. How is desperate circular motion different from regular circular motion?

The main difference between desperate circular motion and regular circular motion is the motivation behind the motion. Desperate circular motion is typically driven by fear, urgency, or a sense of danger, whereas regular circular motion is typically driven by natural forces or intentional actions.

4. Can desperate circular motion be dangerous?

Yes, desperate circular motion can be dangerous as it often involves high speeds and unpredictable movements. It can also lead to collisions or loss of control, resulting in potential harm to the object or its surroundings.

5. How is desperate circular motion studied in the field of science?

Desperate circular motion can be studied through various scientific disciplines, such as physics, engineering, and biomechanics. Researchers use mathematical models, experiments, and simulations to understand the causes, effects, and potential applications of desperate circular motion.