Determine the capacitance between two surfaces

In summary, the conversation discusses a solution to a problem involving the calculation of charge, voltage, and conductance using Gauss' law and integration. It is determined that the problem may not have symmetry, which could affect the accuracy of the solution. The conductance is divided into parts based on the ratio of the angle of the cylinders.
goohu
Homework Statement
Determine capacitance between the two surfaces (see picture). The electric field is assumed to be radial.
Relevant Equations
1) C = Q/V. 2) Gauss law (cylinder); Qenc = integral of E*e0 dA , where dA is small element of the surface. 3) V = -gradient of E
For my solution I'm skipping writing out all the vectors, I just want to see if I'm in the right way or totally off.

Attempt at solution:
Qenc = ∫ E(r)*e0 ds = ∫ E(r)*e0 *h* r*dtheta, we integrate from 0 to phi0. This will give us Q = E(r)*e0*h*r*phi0.

Now we find V by integrating E from a to b with respect to r.
V = ∫ E(r) dr = Q / (e0*h*phi0) * ∫ 1/r dr = Q * ln(b/a) * 1/(e0*h*phi0).

And lastly we have C = Q/V = ln(b/a) * 1(e0*h*phi0).

Does this look reasonable? Unfortunately I don't have the right answer to this task.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 184
Physics news on Phys.org
Just a small correction on
goohu said:
And lastly we have C = Q/V = ln(b/a) * 1(e0*h*phi0).
[tex]C=\epsilon_0 \frac{h \phi_0}{ln\frac{b}{a}}[/tex]

Likes berkeman
I could be wrong but, why are you using gauss law for this charge distribution, I don't see any symmetry in this problem for a gaussian surface to be applied

Last edited:
If the surfaces are not ##\phi_0## parts but 2##\pi## full cylinders, are you all right on symmetry ?

Yeah, actually in this case it doesn't seem to be symmetrical so my attempt was probably wrong.

If the cylinders are whole (2 pi angle) then it is symmetrical.

goohu said:
If the cylinders are whole (2 pi angle) then it is symmetrical.

By symmetry you get conductance of whole cylinders that is #2 answer with ##\phi_0=2\pi##
Then cut the cake or pizza of thus charged cylinders with ##\phi_0## and ##2\pi-\phi_0## parts.
Conductance is divided to the parts with the ratio of ##\phi_0## and ##2\pi-\phi_0##.

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store electrical charge. It is measured in farads (F) and represents the ratio of the stored charge to the potential difference between two conductors.

2. How is capacitance calculated?

The capacitance between two surfaces is calculated using the formula C = Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is the charge stored on the surfaces, and V is the potential difference between the surfaces.

3. What factors affect the capacitance between two surfaces?

The capacitance between two surfaces is affected by the distance between the surfaces, the size and shape of the surfaces, and the material between the surfaces (known as the dielectric).

4. How can the capacitance between two surfaces be increased?

The capacitance between two surfaces can be increased by decreasing the distance between the surfaces, increasing the surface area of the conductors, and using a material with a higher dielectric constant between the surfaces.

5. What are some real-life applications of capacitance?

Capacitance has many practical applications, including in electronic circuits, energy storage devices like batteries and capacitors, and in sensors and transducers. It is also used in touch screens, radio frequency filters, and power factor correction systems.