Determining Pivot Columns in a Matrix - Fred's Question

In summary, when determining if a column in a matrix is a pivot column, for row echelon form, you look for columns with non-zero values to the right of leading zeros. In the given example of matrix A, the pivot columns would be 1,2,3, and 5.
mathboy20
Hi

I got simple question. How is it that determain if a column in matrix is a pivot column?

Sincerely

Fred

Physics news on Phys.org
mathboy20 said:
I got simple question. How is it that determain if a column in matrix is a pivot column?

Are you asking about gaussian reduction, the simplex method, or something else?

NateTG said:
Are you asking about gaussian reduction, the simplex method, or something else?

What I'm asking given a matrix

A= [[1,2,2,0,1,1][0,i,0,0,1,2][0,0,0,0,i,0][0,0,1,2,2i]]

Which in echelonform gives

A ~[[1,2,2,0,1,1][0,1,0,0,-i,-2i][0,0,1,2,0,2i][0,0,0,0,1,0]]

My question is the pivot column of this matrix aren't they

column 1,2,5,6 ??

Since the definition a pivot position is is the column where there is a non-zero entry above a zero entry??

Best Regards
Mathboy20

For row echelon form, the pivot columns where there is a non-zero value to the right of leading zeros.

In the example you give, the pivot columns would be 1,2,3, and 5.

Related to Determining Pivot Columns in a Matrix - Fred's Question

1. How do you determine pivot columns in a matrix?

To determine pivot columns in a matrix, you need to perform row reduction operations on the matrix until it is in its reduced row echelon form. The columns that contain the leading entry (the first non-zero element) in each row are called pivot columns.

2. Why is it important to determine pivot columns in a matrix?

Determining pivot columns in a matrix is important because it allows us to solve systems of equations, find the rank of a matrix, and perform other operations on matrices. It also helps us identify linearly independent and dependent columns in a matrix.

3. What is the role of pivot columns in Gaussian elimination?

In Gaussian elimination, pivot columns are used to create zeros in the lower entries of the matrix, making it easier to solve the system of equations. They also help in identifying the basic and free variables in the system.

4. Can a matrix have more than one pivot column?

Yes, a matrix can have more than one pivot column. In fact, the number of pivot columns is equal to the number of leading entries in its reduced row echelon form.

5. How does the number of pivot columns affect the solution of a system of equations?

The number of pivot columns affects the solution of a system of equations in the sense that if the number of pivot columns is equal to the number of variables, then the system has a unique solution. If the number of pivot columns is less than the number of variables, the system has infinitely many solutions, and if it is greater, the system is inconsistent and has no solution.