Determining the area of a triangle

In summary,The homework statement reads "I figured i could use a sine rule to get the side AC". Using a cosine rule, the student finds that AC is 21 and doesn't know where to go from there. They then find the angle opposite AC is 120 degrees, and are stuck. The easier method is to use the sine rule and get the side AB. From there, using the cosine rule, they find that a is 16 and c is 9. Finally, they find the height of the triangle and the area.
diredragon

Homework Statement

http://i.stack.imgur.com/KzCIl.png
From the given picture the known quantities are:
##r = 7*3^{1/2} ##
##BC = 13 ##
angle opposite to AC is
##120 ## degrees

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I figured i could use a sine rule to get the side ##AC ##
##\frac{AC}{sinb} = 2r ##
I got ##AC = 21 ##
I don't know where to go from this now. cosine rule to get side ##AB ## gives me weird numbers. What should be done now?

Physics news on Phys.org
diredragon said:
angle opposite to AC is
120 degrees

Are you talking about angle B? Because if you are, that angle is clearly acute

JeremyG said:
Are you talking about angle B? Because if you are, that angle is clearly acute
Yes angle B, in the picture it is shown as acute but in a given problem its not. The picture represents the general diagram.

diredragon said:
cosine rule to get side AB gives me weird numbers.
If you get AB, you can use Heron's formula to calculate the area of the triangle.

diredragon said:
yes angle B, in the picture it is shown as acute but in a given problem its not. The picture represents the general diagram.
From your diagram, it is clear that the circle is circumcircle of the triangle ABC. However, since it is an obtuse angled triangle, the circumcenter should be outside the triangle. This will affect the calculations. I think you should draw and refer the exact diagram.

There may be a shorter method, but the sine rule can give you the angle in A.
Then, having the three angles and two sides, finding the area should be easy.

Samy_A said:
There may be a shorter method, but the sine rule can give you the angle in A.
Then, having the three angles and two sides, finding the area should be easy.
What would be the easier method? I don't really want to deal with the cosine rule, there has to be simpler approach.

diredragon said:
What would be the easier method? I don't really want to deal with the cosine rule, there has to be simpler approach.
Once you have the three angles, you don't need the cosine rule.
Remember the basic formula for the area of a triangle? Area=base*height/2.

Samy_A said:
Once you have the three angles, you don't need the cosine rule.
Remember the basic formula for the area of a triangle? Area=base*height/2.
I don't see a way of getting all three angles. I have ##a ## ##b ## and an angle ##ABC ## . I tried to calculate the ##c ## side by using the cosine rule
##b^2 = a^2 + c^2 - 2accosB ##
from this i get
##c^2 + 13c - 272 = 0 ## but the numbers don't come out right

diredragon said:
I have a b and an angle ABC
ABC is not the angle between a and b right? You can get all the three sides and angles using sine rule here.

Last edited:
cnh1995 said:
ABC is not the angle between a and b right? You can get all the three sides and angles using sine rule here.
I need to make a correction. I have written that ##AB = 13 ##, it actually equals ##9 ##. That then gives me fine numbers. Using the sine rule:
##\frac{b}{sinb}=2r ## i get ##b = 21 ##
Then using the cosine rule
##b^2=a^2 + c^2 - 2accosb ## i get ##a=16 ## and ##c = 9 ## is known.
Now the height:
##h_a=csin60 = \frac{9*3^{1/2}}{2} ##
Finally ##A=\frac{(h_a)*a}{2} = 36\sqrt{3} ##

Likes cnh1995

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a triangle?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle is A = 1/2 * base * height, where A represents the area, base represents the length of the triangle's base, and height represents the height of the triangle.

2. How do you find the base and height of a triangle?

The base and height of a triangle can be found by measuring the length of each side using a ruler or measuring tape. If you have the coordinates of the triangle's vertices, you can also use the distance formula to find the lengths of the sides.

3. Can you determine the area of a triangle if you only know the lengths of two sides?

Yes, you can use the Heron's formula to find the area of a triangle if you know the lengths of all three sides. However, if you only know the lengths of two sides, you would need to know either the height or the angle between the two sides in order to use the formula A = 1/2 * base * height.

4. How does the height of a triangle affect its area?

The height of a triangle is directly proportional to its area. This means that as the height increases, the area also increases, and as the height decreases, the area also decreases. This relationship is described by the formula A = 1/2 * base * height, where the height is multiplied by 1/2.

5. Is there a specific unit of measurement to use when finding the area of a triangle?

The unit of measurement used for the area of a triangle depends on the unit of measurement used for the base and height. For example, if the base is measured in feet and the height is measured in inches, the area would be measured in square feet-inches. It is important to ensure that all measurements are in the same unit before calculating the area.