Determining the Speed of a Cylinder in a Cable and Pulley System

In summary, the cylinder C is being lifted using a cable and pulley system, with point A on the cable being drawn toward the drum at a speed of 2 m/s. By setting points B and C as sB and sC, respectively, and using the equation 3sB - sA - 2h = l, the speed of the cylinder is determined to be 0.667 m/s upwards.
KillerZ

Homework Statement

The cylinder C is being lifted using the cable and pulley system shown. If point A on the cable is being drawn toward the drum with a speed of 2 m/s, determine the speed of the cylinder.

bfql2a.png

Homework Equations

[tex]2s_{A} + s_{b} = l[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I set my points to this:

ftk2dd.png

I don't think its right because I am getting a negative number when it should be positive.

[tex]2s_{A} + s_{b} = l[/tex]

[tex]2v_{A} + v_{b} = 0[/tex]

[tex]v_{b} = -2(2m/s) = -4 m/s[/tex] This would mean that the cylinder is going down not up.

Physics news on Phys.org
KillerZ said:
The cylinder C is being lifted using the cable and pulley system shown. If point A on the cable is being drawn toward the drum with a speed of 2 m/s, determine the speed of the cylinder.

I don't think its right because I am getting a negative number when it should be positive.

This would mean that the cylinder is going down not up.

Hi KillerZ! :wink:

I think the cylinder does go down when the cable is drawn up.

But I don't think it's 2:1.

Try using sc instead of sb, where sc is the distance between the two lowest pulleys …

and use the fact that the total length of the string is constant. :smile:

So sc would be like this the difference between s1 and s2?

2yoocxz.png

Yes. :smile:

I got it:

103ues4.png

[tex]s_{B} + (s_{b} - h) + (s_{B} - h - s_{A}) = l[/tex]

[tex]3s_{B} - s_{A} - 2h = l[/tex]

[tex]3v_{B} - v_{A} - 0 = 0[/tex]

[tex]v_{B} = -v_{A}/3 = -0.667m/s = 0.667m/s[/tex] up

Hi KillerZ! :smile:

Yes, except it's +vA/3.

(ignore what I said originally … I misread the diagram … the cylinder does go up! :redface:)

Related to Determining the Speed of a Cylinder in a Cable and Pulley System

1. What is absolute dependent motion?

Absolute dependent motion is a concept in physics that describes the motion of an object relative to an external reference frame or point of view. It is dependent on the observer's perspective and is not based on the object's own motion.

2. How is absolute dependent motion different from relative motion?

Relative motion is the motion of an object relative to another object or point of reference. Absolute dependent motion, on the other hand, is the motion of an object relative to an external reference frame that does not move with the object.

3. What is an example of absolute dependent motion?

An example of absolute dependent motion is the motion of a car on a highway. The car is moving relative to the road and other cars, but its absolute dependent motion is relative to the Earth's surface, which is the external reference frame.

4. How does Newton's First Law of Motion relate to absolute dependent motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force. This means that an object's absolute dependent motion will remain constant unless a force from an external reference frame acts upon it.

5. What are the applications of understanding absolute dependent motion?

Understanding absolute dependent motion is important in fields such as mechanics, astronomy, and navigation. It is also crucial in understanding the motion of planets, stars, and other celestial bodies in the universe.