Diff. Eq. Show that the following equation is not exact.

• Thread starter Jtechguy21
  • Start date
In summary, a differential equation is a mathematical equation used to model natural and physical phenomena in science and engineering. An exact equation can be solved without making further assumptions or approximations, while an inexact equation requires alternative methods for solving. An equation can be made exact by multiplying it by an integrating factor.
Jtechguy21

Homework Statement

Show that the following equation is not exact.
Then find and simplify the integrating factor that makes the equation exact.(You do not have to solve the equation)

(Y^2 - x)dx + (4xy)dy=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

M(x,y) =(Y^2 - x)dx N(x,y)=(4xy)dy

Partial Derivative of m with respect to y is 2y

Partial Derivative of N with respect to x is xy

^shows they are not exact.
how exactly do i find this integrating factor that makes them exact?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jtechguy21 said:

Homework Statement

Show that the following equation is not exact.
Then find and simplify the integrating factor that makes the equation exact.(You do not have to solve the equation)

(Y^2 - x)dx + (4xy)dy=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

M(x,y) =(Y^2 - x)dx N(x,y)=(4xy)dy

Partial Derivative of m with respect to y is 2y

Partial Derivative of N with respect to x is xy

^shows they are not exact.
how exactly do i find this integrating factor that makes them exact?

If your text doesn't tell you how, look here:

http://www.cliffsnotes.com/math/differential-equations/first-order-equations/integrating-factors

Likes 1 person
LCKurtz said:
If your text doesn't tell you how, look here:

http://www.cliffsnotes.com/math/differential-equations/first-order-equations/integrating-factors

yes! thank you so much. I figured it out with the link you gave me.
My integrating factor was x^-(1/2) yay :)
they are exact now.

I found it really strange my book does not show me how to find the IF for exact equations, and the homework examples already have the IF given. hmmm. anyways.

can you answer another question for me. In the link I used case 1. but i am unsure when i need to use case2. the conditions are nearly identical.

Consider the differential equation M dx + N dy = 0. If this equation is not exact, then M y will not equal N x ; that is, M y – N x ≠ 0. However, if

case1 is a function of x only
(My-Nx)/(N)

Case2 is a function of y only
(My-Nx)/(-M)

Last edited:
Jtechguy21 said:
yes! thank you so much. I figured it out with the link you gave me.
My integrating factor was x^-(1/2) yay :)
they are exact now.

I found it really strange my book does not show me how to find the IF for exact equations, and the homework examples already have the IF given. hmmm. anyways.

If the equation is exact so ##M_y=N_x##, you don't need an integrating factor. It's ready to go as it is.

can you answer another question for me. In the link I used case 1. but i am unsure when i need to use case2. the conditions are nearly identical.

Consider the differential equation M dx + N dy = 0. If this equation is not exact, then M y will not equal N x ; that is, M y – N x ≠ 0. However, if

case1 is a function of x only
(My-Nx)/(N)

Case2 is a function of y only
(My-Nx)/(-M)

You don't have a choice of which, if any, case to use. If you are lucky and get either the function of x or function of y in that test, you can find an integrating factor which will make the equation exact. But an equation might not be exact and neither of the above cases work either. Then you have to resort to other methods to solve it, presuming it can be solved analytically at all. These techniques don't always work.

LCKurtz said:
If the equation is exact so ##M_y=N_x##, you don't need an integrating factor. It's ready to go as it is.

You don't have a choice of which, if any, case to use. If you are lucky and get either the function of x or function of y in that test, you can find an integrating factor which will make the equation exact. But an equation might not be exact and neither of the above cases work either. Then you have to resort to other methods to solve it, presuming it can be solved analytically at all. These techniques don't always work.

thank you for explaining this to me :) It all makes sense to me now!

Related to Diff. Eq. Show that the following equation is not exact.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical and natural phenomena in science and engineering.

2. What does it mean for an equation to be exact?

An exact equation is one in which the total derivative of the function can be expressed directly in terms of the function and its variables. This means that the equation can be solved without needing to make any further assumptions or approximations.

3. How can you tell if an equation is not exact?

An equation is not exact if the total derivative of the function cannot be expressed directly in terms of the function and its variables. This can be determined by checking if the partial derivatives of the equation are equal.

4. What is the significance of an equation not being exact?

An equation not being exact means that it cannot be solved using the standard methods for solving differential equations. Instead, alternative methods such as the method of integrating factors or the method of characteristics may need to be used.

5. Can an equation be made exact?

Yes, an equation can be made exact by multiplying it by an integrating factor, which is a function that makes the equation's total derivative equal to the sum of its partial derivatives.