Difference between power 'supplied' and 'absorbed' circuits?

In summary: Apply the convention again and see if it makes sense.In summary, power in circuits is supplied by batteries, generators, and other devices, while the circuits themselves absorb this power. The positive terminal of a device supplies power to an external circuit, while the negative terminal absorbs power. This can be determined by the direction of the current flow and the head-to-head convention used in circuit analysis.
Aristotle
Member warned to use formatting template in Homework Help sections of PF
It is my first time learning about power in circuits. From reading my electric circuits text, I understand that when current enters the positive terminal of a circuit, power is being "absorbed" and when it enters the negative, it is "supplied". The book doesn't really go in depth on what those means and was wondering if somebody could give me a brief idea of the concept of supplied and absorbed?

much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Batteries, generators, and so forth supply power and the circuits they power absorb (use) that power. I don't follow what you are saying about positive and negative terminals supplying and absorbing.

Likes Bystander
Aristotle said:
It is my first time learning about power in circuits. From reading my electric circuits text, I understand that when current enters the positive terminal of a circuit, power is being "absorbed" and when it enters the negative, it is "supplied".
Yes, that's about it. When current exits the positive terminal of the device, that device is supplying power to an external circuit; and when current enters a device at its positive terminal, then that device is absorbing or being supplied with power.

You may find, after doing the calculations, that the current exiting the positive terminal has a negative value, so this means that current is actually entering that terminal, therefore the device is in fact absorbing power from some other circuit.

Note that for rechargeable batteries, such as lead acid cells, current exits the positive terminal while the battery is discharging, but enters the positive terminal while that battery is being recharged, and this accords with your supplying vs. absorbing description.

Likes Aristotle
NascentOxygen said:
You may find, after doing the calculations, that the current exiting the positive terminal has a negative value, so this means that current is actually entering that terminal, therefore the device is in fact absorbing power from some other circuit.
Great explanation! But just to clarify on what you said above... The reason why there is a negative value when current enters the negative terminal and leaves the positive terminal is when actually current is being SUPPLIED to it from another device of the circuit--hence the current returning back to the positive terminal? Correct me if I've misquoted you...

Aristotle said:
Great explanation! But just to clarify on what you said above... The reason why there is a negative value when current enters the negative terminal and leaves the positive terminal is when actually current is being SUPPLIED to it from another device of the circuit--hence the current returning back to the positive terminal? Correct me if I've misquoted you...
The reason why your calculations may, for example, give a negative value to the current you initially assumed to be exiting the positive terminal is simply because your initial assumption (or guess) had the direction wrong. There is no need to repeat any calculations, this is a normal occurrence in circuit analysis. You assume a direction for the current, and subsequent calculations will either confirm that and produce its magnitude, or will produce a value for your current that is negative and of the correct magnitude. In the latter case, it just means that your initial assumption that current had a particular direction of flow was 180 degrees out.

So a negative value of current leaving the positive terminal indicates current flow is into the device, so some external source is supplying it, as you say.

You are referring to the head-to-head convention that engineers use to determine whether power is absorbed/supplied and whether to use a negative or positive sign in many common equations.

In the case of power, usually we use the equation ##P = \pm IV##.

The (+) version of this equation is chosen if the head of the current arrow meets the head of the voltage arrow (the head of the voltage being the positive end of the voltage drop). So if the (+) current meets the (+) voltage, we use the (+) sign.

Lets say the current is now negative, and the head of the current arrow is meeting the tail of voltage drop (aka the negative end of the voltage drop). This is equal to a positive current meeting the positive head of the voltage drop. This is equal to the case outlined above, and therefore we would use the (+) version again.

Now if we had a positive current arrow meeting the tail of the voltage drop, we would use the (-) version.

If we had a negative current arrow meeting the head of the voltage drop, this is equal to a positive current arrow meeting the tail of the voltage drop, which again leads to the (-) version of the equation.

This convention applies to all electrical circuit components. Did you know it was actually ##V = \pm IR## depending on which end of the current meets the resistor?

Aristotle said:
It is my first time learning about power in circuits. From reading my electric circuits text, I understand that when current enters the positive terminal of a circuit, power is being "absorbed" and when it enters the negative, it is "supplied". The book doesn't really go in depth on what those means and was wondering if somebody could give me a brief idea of the concept of supplied and absorbed?

much appreciated!

Try drawing a simple circuit comprising a battery and a load/resistor? Mark up the voltages and currents. Apply what the book says and you will see its correct.

Then perhaps try other simple block circuits such as a battery charger connected to a battery.

1. What is the difference between power supplied and power absorbed in circuits?

Power supplied refers to the amount of energy that is provided to a circuit by an external source, such as a battery or generator. This energy is used to power the components of the circuit and is measured in watts. On the other hand, power absorbed refers to the amount of energy that is consumed by the components in a circuit. This energy is converted into other forms, such as heat or light, and is also measured in watts.

2. How do power supplied and power absorbed affect the overall functioning of a circuit?

The amount of power supplied to a circuit determines its overall capacity to perform work. If the power supplied is not enough, the circuit may not function properly or at all. On the other hand, the amount of power absorbed by the components determines how efficiently the circuit is using the energy provided. Higher power absorption can lead to overheating and potentially damage the components.

3. Can a circuit have a higher power supplied than power absorbed?

Yes, it is possible for a circuit to have a higher power supplied than power absorbed. This can happen when the circuit has components that are not fully utilizing the energy provided, resulting in a lower power absorption. In such cases, the excess power supplied is not being effectively used by the circuit.

4. How are power supplied and power absorbed related to voltage and current in a circuit?

Power supplied is directly related to voltage and current in a circuit, according to Ohm's law (P = VI). The higher the voltage and current, the higher the power supplied to the circuit. On the other hand, power absorbed is related to the resistance of the components in the circuit. Higher resistance leads to higher power absorption, while lower resistance results in lower power absorption.

5. How is power dissipation related to power supplied and power absorbed in circuits?

Power dissipation is the amount of energy that is lost or wasted in a circuit due to factors such as resistance and heat. It is related to both power supplied and power absorbed, as it represents the difference between the two. If a circuit has a higher power supplied than power absorbed, it means that there is a higher level of power dissipation, which can lead to inefficiency and potential damage to the components.