Different formulations of QFT

• A
  • Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft
In summary, there are multiple formulations of QFT, including the second quantization, functional formulation, path integral, operator formalism, and canonical quantization approach. Some textbooks that focus on the functional formulation include "Quantum Field Theory for Mathematicians" by Robin Ticciati and "Quantum Field Theory: A Modern Perspective" by V. P. Nair.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
As far as I understand now, there are at least three different formulations of QFT:

1) Second Quantization
2) Functional Formulation(where there is wave-functional which is a function of the field configuration and satisfies a functional Schrodinger equation)
3) Path Integral

Is there any other formulation out there?

Also, I know that QFT textbooks usually treat QED using second quantization and then turn to path integrals for non-abelian gauge theories(except for Bailin and Love that uses path integrals throughout). But the only textbook I know that spends some time on the functional formulation is Hatfield. Is there any other textbook that develops the functional formulation and uses it to calculate any physical quantity?

Thanks

Likes DuckAmuck
Physics news on Phys.org
for your post! As a scientist familiar with quantum field theory (QFT), I can confirm that there are indeed multiple formulations of QFT. In addition to the three you mentioned, there are also others such as the operator formalism and the canonical quantization approach.

Regarding your question about other textbooks that focus on the functional formulation, I would recommend checking out "Quantum Field Theory for Mathematicians" by Robin Ticciati and "Quantum Field Theory: A Modern Perspective" by V. P. Nair. Both of these texts devote a significant portion to the functional formulation and its applications in QFT. Additionally, "Quantum Field Theory in Curved Spacetime and Black Hole Thermodynamics" by Robert M. Wald also covers the functional approach in depth.

It is worth noting that while the functional formulation may not be as commonly used in textbooks, it is still an important approach in QFT and has been used to make significant contributions to the field. I hope this helps answer your question and provides you with some additional resources to explore.

1. What is QFT?

QFT stands for Quantum Field Theory. It is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions based on the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity.

2. What are the different formulations of QFT?

There are three main formulations of QFT: canonical quantization, path integral formulation, and algebraic formulation. Each formulation uses different mathematical techniques to describe the behavior of quantum fields.

3. How do these formulations differ from each other?

The main difference between the formulations lies in their mathematical approach. Canonical quantization uses operators and commutation relations to describe quantum fields, while the path integral formulation uses a probabilistic approach. The algebraic formulation uses algebraic structures to describe the behavior of quantum fields.

4. Which formulation is most commonly used?

The path integral formulation is the most commonly used formulation of QFT. It is a powerful and intuitive tool for calculating physical quantities and has been successfully applied in various fields such as particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology.

5. What are the advantages of using different formulations of QFT?

Each formulation has its own strengths and weaknesses, making them suitable for different applications. For example, the path integral formulation is useful for calculating scattering amplitudes, while the algebraic formulation is effective in analyzing symmetries and topological properties of quantum systems. Using different formulations can provide a more comprehensive understanding of QFT and its applications.