Differentiation using the Product Rule

• Thread starter BOAS
  • Start date
In summary: This can help catch mistakes more easily.In summary, the conversation discussed differentiating a given function with respect to x and the use of the product rule for differentiation. The chain rule was also employed in the solution, as well as the power rule. The conversation also mentioned the importance of breaking down problems and looking back through calculations to catch errors.
BOAS

Homework Statement

Differentiate the following with respect to x;

y = [itex]x^{2}[/itex][itex](x-1)^{1/2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a solution to the problem that I will outline below, but my notes on this are confusing and I'm having trouble applying the method to another question. So if you can see the general rule that is being employed, it would really help me if you could point it out.

Let u = [itex]x^{2}[/itex]

Let v = [itex](x-1)^{1/2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{du}{dx}= 2x[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dv}{dx}= \frac{1}{2}(x - 1)^{-1/2}[/itex]

(that's all fine so far)

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{x^{2}(x-1)^{-1/2}}{2} + 2x(x-1)^{1/2}[/itex]

I have a simplified answer and I can see how to get there, but what rule does the above employ?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution is employing the product rule for differentiation where if you have y=uv

then

dy/dx = v(du/dx_ + u(dv/dx)

rock.freak667 said:
The solution is employing the product rule for differentiation where if you have y=uv

then

dy/dx = v(du/dx_ + u(dv/dx)

Thanks for the response,

so am I correct in thinking that after splitting the function into u and v, the chain rule has been used to find dv/dx, the power rule can be used for du/dx and then from there it's plain sailing with the product rule?

I definitely need more practice on breaking these problems down.

BOAS said:
Thanks for the response,

so am I correct in thinking that after splitting the function into u and v, the chain rule has been used to find dv/dx, the power rule can be used for du/dx and then from there it's plain sailing with the product rule?
Yes. In this case, the chain rule is very simple, since d/dx(x - 1) = 1.
BOAS said:
I definitely need more practice on breaking these problems down.

The problem I need to apply this method to is a little bit more complicated, but I can see how to do it.

Thanks.

Here's another way to look at your problem.

y = x2(x - 1)1/2
dy/dx = x2 * d/dx[(x - 1)1/2] + d/dx(x2) * (x - 1)1/2
= x2 * (1/2)(x - 1)-1/2 * d/dx(x - 1) + 2x * (x - 1)1/2
= x2 * (1/2)(x - 1)-1/2 * 1 + 2x * (x - 1)1/2

At each step along the way, I am postponing taking the derivative of something - this is signified by "d/dx( ... )", which means that I haven't actually taken the derivative of whatever is to its right.

Mark44 said:
Here's another way to look at your problem.

y = x2(x - 1)1/2
dy/dx = x2 * d/dx[(x - 1)1/2] + d/dx(x2) * (x - 1)1/2
= x2 * (1/2)(x - 1)-1/2 * d/dx(x - 1) + 2x * (x - 1)1/2
= x2 * (1/2)(x - 1)-1/2 * 1 + 2x * (x - 1)1/2

At each step along the way, I am postponing taking the derivative of something - this is signified by "d/dx( ... )", which means that I haven't actually taken the derivative of whatever is to its right.

That's an interesting way of looking at it.

I imagine it's much easier to look back through such a calculation and spot any potential error.

Yes, because the work is shown inline rather than several lines up the page.

Related to Differentiation using the Product Rule

1. What is a rule?

A rule is a principle or regulation that guides behavior or actions in a particular situation. It is a set of guidelines or instructions that should be followed in order to achieve a certain outcome.

2. How can I identify which rule is being used?

To identify which rule is being used, you will need to analyze the given situation or problem and determine the underlying principle or guideline that applies. This may involve researching or consulting experts in the relevant field.

3. Are there different types of rules?

Yes, there are various types of rules depending on the context in which they are used. Some common types include mathematical rules, scientific rules, social rules, and legal rules.

4. Can rules change over time?

Yes, rules can change over time as new information and advancements are made. As our understanding and knowledge evolve, rules may be updated or modified to reflect these changes.

5. How important are rules in science?

Rules play a crucial role in science as they provide a framework for conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. They help ensure accuracy, consistency, and reproducibility in scientific research.